Splash Overo/Color help?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelsey - Vandy's Farm

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I'm new so bare with me....still learning how to work everything haha.

This is Vandy's Smoke and Mirrors. He is a 2009 splash overo colt. He is out of Dell Tera's Checkers (sorrel splash overo with minimal roaning) and La Ray's Sugar Cookie (black tobiano with blue eyes--carrying the splash gene).

His color has puzzled me. He was born looking buckskin which should be possible because there aren't any dilute genes...unless Cookie is a smokey black? or?

Then he got got very roany looking with silver, gold, chocolate hairs. When I clipped him he was not roany but almost chocolate in color with buckskin patches. He also has this big square spot on him rump that is always super dark.

Any ideas??

Dell Tera's Checkers, Sire.

webpictchecks22-425x337.jpg

La Ray's Sugar Cookie, Dam.

cookie22-468x357.jpg

Vandy's Smoke and Mirrors, colt.

Baby pics

4420_93312827108_687817108_2307915_1063573_n_1_-491x324.jpg

Weanling Hairy Pics

27099_328247207108_687817108_3917589_6131565_n_1_-462x302.jpg

Clipped yearling pics

SamPrincessPremieFilly_111-527x348.jpg

SamPrincessPremieFilly_073-519x344.jpg

Lots more pictures on the website at www.vandysminihorses.com

UPDATE: I am thinking of having him color tested. What should I have him tested for (I want to do the least amount possible as they do add up!) I was thinking cream and silver? Do you think his sire, Checkers could actually be a silver bay? I have always said he is a sorrel with a flaxen mane and tail. You can't look for darker legs because he has all white legs. He has thrown a silver dapple colt (could have been silver from the mare)...not sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to guess buckskin. If you want to know for sure, color test!

Welcome to the Forum and pretty boy, BTW!
default_aktion033.gif

I'm going to guess buckskin. If you want to know for sure, color test!

Welcome to the Forum and pretty boy, BTW!
default_aktion033.gif
Thanks! Yeah, that's been my guess...I'm just not sure where the dilute gene would be coming from. I do want to get him tested. Money is a little tight though so I haven't been color testing very often unless it's for LWO.

Thanks
default_smile.png

In the baby photo he looks buckskin, in the hairy photo he looks def. bay roanish, and in clipped he looks buckskin...but sometimes bay's look buckskin when clipped...COLOR TEST IS ONLY WAY...just test him for cream gene and you will know.
default_laugh.png

I would skip the silver unless you are just curious. That foal does not look like he is carrying silver at all.

I would test for cream and agouti.

No need to test for red/black because he obviously is carrying one black and one red gene.

I would skip the silver unless you are just curious. That foal does not look like he is carrying silver at all.

I would test for cream and agouti.

No need to test for red/black because he obviously is carrying one black and one red gene.
I'm pretty good with most genetics but I still haven't really studied the agouti gene. It is a bay modifier, correct? Does one parent have to be bay?

I'm pretty good with most genetics but I still haven't really studied the agouti gene. It is a bay modifier, correct? Does one parent have to be bay?
Agouti is a modifier that causes the the points to remain dark while creating a lighter body color.

If you have a black horse with agouti it is a bay, black with agouiti and cream is a buckskin, black with agouti and 2 creams is a perlino w/agouti.

Red horses can carry agouti and have no visible signs, it only shows through on black based horses.

I also would say test for agouti and cream, he sure looks like a buckskin in his baby picks. I would bet your mare has a cream gene.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agouti is a modifier that causes the the points to remain dark while creating a lighter body color.

If you have a black horse with agouti it is a bay, black with agouiti and cream is a buckskin, black with agouti and 2 creams is a perlino w/agouti.

Red horses can carry agouti and have no visible signs, it only shows through on black based horses.

I also would say test for agouti and cream, he sure looks like a buckskin in his baby picks. I would bet your mare has a cream gene.
Thank you that helps a lot !
yes.gif

Latest posts

Back