Spirit...my orphan foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpotze

Reaction score
[/img]Here are some updated pics of my orphan foal...Spirit....(my grandaughter wants to name every horse Spirit)

He seems to be doing quite well on Mare's Milk Plus and his starter pellets...although he prefers the feed everyone else is eating...We are having a few issues with him wanting to bite and jump up....but we are working on those...I feel like I am being a bad mom when I reprimand him for biting or jumping...but with little kids coming to visit often...I can't have him behaving like that...
latejune2011coltgoatslilah007.jpg
barnyardfriendsjune302011004.jpg

He's adorable! And you are absolutely right to reprimand him! I have heard that orphans sometimes have a harder time with boundaries because they don't have a mama mare to discipline them when they get too rough. So you are going to have to be the mama mare. Because you are right, while it may seem harmless now, very quickly it will be dangerous, so better to nip that behavior right now!

I'm glad to hear he is doing so well!

Barbara

he is adorable and his home is stunning! Can I move in???

He is SOOO cute! You are NOT being a bad mom reprimanding him, you are being a good horsey mom! If he had his momma she wouldn't tolerate that behavior but she's not around so he's gotta learn it from you. Be FIRM, FAST and FAIR and all will be well. You have to think like a horse, they don't feel guilt! My "baby" is now 16 hands, he was huge even as a newborn and I can't tell you how glad I am that I scared him right off his feet the first (and only) time he tried to jump up on me! Obviously a mini isn't going to be as dangerous as he could have been, but I still wouldn't want one jumping on me and certainly not on a little child. Looks to me from the pictures that you are doing a GREAT job taking care of him. Keep up the good work.

He is so gorgeous and great to see that he is doing so well.

I agree if his mother was still there she would be putting manners on him.

With my horses I am head honcho round here so body language is a big and mares will put manners on their foals too so I follow that rule of thumb too.

It will make a very happy horse at then end of the day if he knows his boundaries.

Back