Special Needs showing/AMHA rules

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
edited

Last edited by a moderator:
Open letter to Liz's friend.

PLEASE do not give up.

There are far more people rooting for you- heck you have your own little "Fan Club" starting up right here!!- than there will ever be against you.

The majority of people love to see you, and any person with a disability, in the ring- just as they love to see kids in Open classes.

SOME people- just a nasty few- do not like being beaten by anyone who is in any way different.

Thus they will use any excuse to get rid of them.

"They" should not be in Open classes "they" have classes of their own, etc.

They are nasty, narrow minded mean spirited people who are just not entering into the spirit of the thing at all, but remember in showing, people will do anything, right down to drugging the opposition, to win.

In a sort of twisted way you should be flattered that these morons went to all the bother of eliminating you from the opposition.

What you must NOT be is down hearted or put off by this one negative happening.

People around you were caught off guard, as were you.

This will not happen again!!!

I know your friends will all have their rule books at the ready, as will you, at your next show, and I also think you will find you will have a lot more active supporters around you.

Make sure all the Judges are informed of your entry- I think a blanket letter to the Show Manager would be OK for that you would not have to inform each one personally- and make sure the relevant passage from the rules is printed up in big print (they might not have their glasses- hey look, a visually impaired Judge
default_smile.png
)

Then you do not have to enter into a discussion, just hand them the printout.

Should you need to do this??

Absolutely not.

Was what happened fair??

NO WAY.

BUT you want to be treated the same??

Well, Honey, much as I hate to point it out, but that is EXACTLY what happened to you, you got treated as REAL opposition and you got crapped on
default_yes.gif
: :bgrin

So pick yourself up, dust yourself off and get back in the ring and stick it to them BIG TIME.

We can't give you Pink Flamingos but we can give you

:cheeky-smiley-006: :new_multi: :new_multi: :new_rofl: :risa8: :new_rofl: :new_multi: :new_multi: :cheeky-smiley-006:

And even
default_cheekkiss.gif
:

Believe me there will be LOADS of support at your next show!!!!

Am so very sorry she has had to go through that.

This is the very reason I was asking if Walkers were allowed at shows because I know how nasty people can be to people that are not perfect or like them, rather like being treated like a 2nd class citizen.

What needs to be done is the person(s) that said such to her needs to either be re trained..or removed. Then we need to figure out how to be near her when she shows, so such things will not happen again.

default_yes.gif
:

Liz, tell her not to loose heart.. I know it is hard sometimes but she has every right to show and enjoy life as anyone else.

Hi
default_smile.png

The AMHR PMC rules state that an attendant may accompany a disabled exhibitor into the ring. They may assist the exhibitor with any physical needs they have - help balancing, guiding the legally blind, even pushing a manual wheelchair. They may not, however, touch the horse unless the handler has a situation they cannot handle - and in that case they are DQd. The disabled handler must set up their horse on their own.

Nan
That was always my understanding of the rule same as for youth really .. saftey handlers are allowed in but not allowed to actually set up the horse at least in AMHR which I think is a fair rule but either way no one should be treated rudely not the person showing nor the person who felt it was honestly against the rules that is the whole reason for having a show steward

I realize this person (I have no idea who either party is) is a friend of many and they are mad and felt she was treated rudely however on the flip side.. we comment all the time about people not filing protests over things they truly feel are wrong and how they should or nothing will change from height to abuse and other issues and... when one can be turned into a monster for doing so.. explains why fewer people do.

Again I realize this wasnt about height or abuse and I dont know either party just seems like all the way around it is a cant win situation for all involved

Last edited:
Lisa, I have NO problem with the protest process, and I highly doubt my friend does, either.

Noone is being turned into a monster for the inquiry, or even inquiries, or questioning the rules.

What IS wrong about this is that:

1): the JUDGES, in my understanding, were the ones that asked for clarification. This is fine. When they radioed the (post has been edited, I have been told it was NOT the president as orginally mis-stated, I am sorry for that), he gave a wrong answer, which he admitted later, when all was said and done. I THINK that from reading the rulebook, it was easy and fairly quick to determine a more clear answer to at least this dilemma at this time, and probably could have been done before the class was placed, for sure before it was final and the horses had left the ring. I don't understand why the placings were made lower in light of the discovery or lack of, of the rules, but that is a bad feeling I'm sure, for my friend to know.

2): A fellow club member (both of the AMHA and our local NWMHC, of which my friend and I have been members for over 10 years now) treated my friend with disrespect at worst, refusing to talk to her, instead talking ABOUT her in her presence.

3): This would be the FOURTH AMHA show where my friend showed in the manner she showed at the Championship Show, and yet nothing was said previously, noone came forward until this time. The person mentioned above also is from our region and likely showed at the same shows, attended them, and so knew exactly what was happening/going to happen well before she arrived. Why did she choose now to jump on and rub salt in the wounds.

The rules are clearly lacking in enough detail and clarity as it stands, but the point remains that this was handled badly and another person, someone who should know better (if you knew who it was, then you'd understand more about why I'm disappointed and furious with them) chose to handle it in a manner which added insult to injury.

Think how you would have felt having this controversy around you and people not talking to you about it, but about you, even when you were right there.

Yes, she got the same treatment the rest of us do, but for the wrong reasons. I think the points should be restored at the very least.

Liz M.

I agree it sounds like ths person was hurt and treated rudely and that should never be however sadly in this world and in the horse world it happens more often then not and usually by those that really should know better
default_sad.png

My statement was more directed at a general situation (about protests) then this one and I dont show AMHA do they not have a show steward wtih a rule book whose job it is to deal with these things ? I cant imagine having to try and track down the pres of the org to try and answer a question that seems so silly?

I am really sorry to read how this went for your friend. Very unfair and really had to be heart breaking for her :no: :no: :no: No excuse for the way it was handled, or for the on site show officials (Judges, Stewards) not to understand the rules or have &$^! rule book ... talk about a really half a**ed situation.

AMHA does not have show stewards, every time the subject is approached, the opposition to having to pay yet more to show is loud and clear, and yes, there would have to be more paid in order to pay the stewards.

As for the need for new rules, I agree, changes need to be made, and the people who need to address the needed changes are the people who need those changes made. Now, don't jump all over me, I know you cannot make the meetings, that is why the special needs committee meets via phone conferences, so folks, no need to come to the meetings, just be able to spend time on a toll free phone call a few times a year. We have a very passionate, dedicated young lady who chairs this committee, but she needs your help and input to make it better. I would love to help, but as someone who is fortunate enough not be a special needs person, I don't know what your needs are, and could end up with something really dumb proposed and passed.

So, please, those of you with ideas, contact the chair of the committee and help her come up with proposals to make things better. She can't do this alone! :eek:

Her name and contact info is on the AMHA web site where the committees are listed. She is a very bright, impressive young lady and really does want to make things better, and yes, she shows special needs as well as non special needs classes.

So, please, those of you with ideas, contact the chair of the committee and help her come up with proposals to make things better. She can't do this alone! :eek:

Her name and contact info is on the AMHA web site where the committees are listed. She is a very bright, impressive young lady and really does want to make things better, and yes, she shows special needs as well as non special needs classes.

I've been on the web site and can't find the list of committees ... I am not always the best at web site navigation - can you tell me exactly how to get there?

Even though I do not show AMHA I am a member and I am disabled AND I would very much like to help! So, if I get her email/phone number, I will contact her today!

Thanks!!!

Nan

I just wanted to comment...

Nancy (dtdminis), you are such an inspiration
default_yes.gif
: in things that really matter in life.
default_wub.png
:

I've read the thread and will try to keep my statements brief.

As a personal comment, it broke my heart and really angered me to read that an AMHA member would tell another member they should not be allowed to show in other divisions. I am so angry to read that, I don't even know what else to say about it, but I feel bad that happened to your friend.

On the business side, change has been needed for many years now and I'm excited to help in that process. Last year's Special Needs committee put in a lot of hard work and put together SEVERAL rule proposals that were handed in to the proper authorities at the Annual Meeting back in February. This past June (2007) the Show Rules committee Passed and Failed those proposals. For your information, the context of those rule proposals are on the AMHA Website and you can view them by going to The Association > Board Minutes > June Meeting. And just FYI in the future, committee information for any committee can be found by going to the Membership Services page and clicking on Committees. The proposals passed by Show Rules in June will go on to the membership in February. We need you there to support them so that we can gain these clarifications and definitions! I see, by reading this thread, that we didn't account for everything that needs to be done, but how many times in life do we get things right the very first time? I can't speak for the other committee members but I know I worked hard to make sure we were developing some definitions and clarity to resolve some of the common questions. I am very lucky to have some very special, dedicated people to work with on these matters through the committee.

I can also tell you that besides rule proposals, there are a couple exciting things this year's committee is working on.

1. You may have seen in your recent MHW (August/September) or heard that we will be offering TWO World High Point Awards for Special Needs exhibitors. One will be for the High Point Youth in the Youth Special Needs classes and the other for the Adult in the Adult Special Needs classes.

2. We hope to soon have our own section of the AMHA website to offer more information and fun details about how miniatures enrich the lives of those with Special Needs.

Two minds are better than one, so anytime you have suggests, comments, or questions please feel free to contact me. I can't guarentee I'll always agree with you (as my neighbor use to say I could argue with a fence post), but I'm always more than willing to listen. And I don't know about yall but I know sometimes when I've expressed an idea to someone, the base of the idea was good - just the how to accomplish it needed to be tweaked and thats where the multiple minds come in handy.

I answer email, but I love talking on the phone, so either way let's chat! I prefer not to put my phone number on a public forum but if you'd like it you can send me an email ([email protected]) or PM and I'd be more than happy to give it to you OR I'll call you if you tell me a good time/time zone.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

WOW, Cammie....that was a awesome post and helpful! It is really good to hear we have dedicated members like you!
default_smile.png
:aktion033:

Here's the gal I see as a future president of AMHA or any club she wants to be :aktion033: very positive gal and smart!

Becky of RedRock....if you read this.....you should be very proud, what a great daughter you raised.... :aktion033:

Nancy (dtdminis), you are such an inspiration in things that really matter in life.

It used to make me uncomfortable being called an "inspiration" ... because anything and everything I've done in my life I did simply because I loved doing it.
default_smile.png
As I've grown older, however, I've come to consider it a supreme compliment. Thank you very much Tanya.

Home page

MEMBER SERVICES

COMMITTEES (top line, far right)
Thanks AL!

I answer email, but I love talking on the phone, so either way let's chat! I prefer not to put my phone number on a public forum but if you'd like it you can send me an email ([email protected]) or PM and I'd be more than happy to give it to you OR I'll call you if you tell me a good time/time zone.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Cammie - I'll be sending you an email as soon as I post this.

Thanks to all who have been supportive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nan

Aside from the rules to me this about a fellow club member being mean and rude to another, in fact so mean that she literally ruined the show for her. I know who the friend
default_smile.png
is and it makes me furious that she was treated that way. I feel so bad for her. DON"T GIVE UP !! Don't let that bad person win

If someone can PM me I would like to know who said it :new_tomato:

Last edited:
I am receiving other information about it, it is apparently the judges that raised the inquiry, and I have no idea about the person who said those things to my friend.

I don't know if 100% of what happened is understood, however it is what has been perceived that's causing the issue.

Hopefully the situation will result in more clarity, and no chance of this kind of disappointment happening ever again.

Liz

OMG...... I am so sorry your friend was treated so horribly, that is just shameful.

I really don't know what to say, I have a lot of things rolling around in my head, but everytime I try to type them they come out all wrong.....so I will just leave it with, your friend was treated rotten and I do hope that she gets some justice.......if that is her $ back, or her points for the better placings...(because it sounds like they knew how she would place before they made the formal complaint)......or something. Plus a letter of apology from the person (what ever official) said that it was not ok and then changed their mind later when they found out they were wrong.

I sometimes think people forget that everyone has feelings....it's not always about the $, sometimes it's about a person's character and feelings and I think your friend is a head above the rest of them, esp the one that made the complaint. I'm just sorry she had to deal with this.

I am not a member of AMHA, so I know nothing about their rules, etc, but it sounds like their show officials need to read up on their rules and the membership maybe needs to kick into action some clarification or changes if need be.

Sad, just so very sad.......it's amazing to me how adults can act like spoiled brats, I do hope the complainer feels 1 inch tall after all is said and done. :eek:

Latest posts

Back