speaking of hypothyroid

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

northernmi

Reaction score
What kind of feed do they recieve when they are on thyro-l or meds for hypothyroidism and do they tend to go over? A few of you have been on here and foaled them out no problems and I am just curious about their feed. Doing alot of studying now on this subject and just woud like some input.

Well, we have not had a baby yet......we are trying....our mare was low, so we put her on Thyro-L and she has leveled off completely and has blood tested good. We bred her this spring about 2 months ago and so far she has not come back in...holding my breath she doesn't. We could not get her to take last year at all.

Ooops, forgot to add, we feed her only steamed,rolled and crimped oats twice a day, plus free choice hay. She is at a very good weight right now. ***no grass or sweet feed**** very important.

Last edited by a moderator:
good luck, keep us posted next year on how she foaled out for me. Did the vet give a reason for no grass?

As for my mares, they get fed only limited hay(alfalfa mix) in the Fall, Winter and Spring, and pasture graze(no additional hay) during the summer months. I feed all of my mares in the same area but out of individual dishes. They get a mixture of rolled horse oats, dairy ration, and BOSS...about 2 cups/day. Now that she will be on meds, of course, she'll have to be fed separately.

With my mare that I just started on Thyro L, she has been switched to Progressive Nutritions' Grass Balancer and grass hay. No pasture for now. Dry lot only. She needs to lose a lot of weight so a big calorie reduction was in order here!

Did the vet give a reason for no grass?
Grass is known for making founder worse on horses, especially rich spring new grass. She has been doing great on the diet I mentioned above, but it does seem she bruises easier than the rest of my horses on her hooves.

Latest posts

Back