Speaking of genetic testing....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tami

Reaction score
Beyond the obvious tobiano and creme, which we know he carries. He also has a partial blue eye.

P7181686%20(2).JPG

No need to test for cream if you know he's buckskin. Tobiano for zygosity if you want. With that face and blue eye, I'd definitely test for LWO. Really I'd say that's the most important. Could also test for red to see if he carries that.

He's REALLY pretty by the way!!!
default_drool5.gif

Beyond the obvious tobiano and creme, which we know he carries. He also has a partial blue eye.

P7181686%20(2).JPG
He's lovely. Don't forget LWO testing, which is the only "have-to" testing, the rest are all icing on the cake.

He looks to carry Splash with the bottom heavy snip and blue eye, but there is no test for that. Yet......

Splash for sure!
default_smile.png
But a LWO test to be on the safe side.

I love him!
default_wub.png

Yes, he has splash. We are no longer sure LWO actually causes blue eyes...we know Splash does and we know Sabino does not, nor Tobiano, but they are not a sign of LWO as far as I am concerned. I am far more convinced by one solid leg than I am by blue eyes, but, luckily, there is a test. You could also test for black zygosity as some people do not want red base.

Yes, he has splash. We are no longer sure LWO actually causes blue eyes...we know Splash does and we know Sabino does not, nor Tobiano, but they are not a sign of LWO as far as I am concerned. I am far more convinced by one solid leg than I am by blue eyes, but, luckily, there is a test. You could also test for black zygosity as some people do not want red base.
Just curious about LWO and blue eyes. I have a solid grullo colt (posted in the LWO thread) with no white on him except for a few white hairs for a star. Blue eyes were his only 'give away' that he might have be LWO +, which he tested positive for by UC Davis --- so - could he carry splash or sabino in addition? I would never guess he carried splash or sabino.

Blue eyes on their own are not a sign of LWO. I bred a black mare with blue eyes, no chance of LWO, and that was caused by Splash. As yet there is no test for Splash.

Freeland, when the patterns are as mixed as they can be, no, LWO will not manage to prevent Tobiano putting white on the legs, especially when there are other patterns at work on the same horse, BUT this is exactly why one solid leg is a real giveaway!

Perhaps either or both Splash and LWO can cause blue eyes. Just a thought- interesting.

There are solid horses without blue eyes that carry LWO. So to say, "There is no sign of LWO" isn't convincing enough not to test.

Many things can be figured out by looking at the parents. For example, you can test for black zygosity, but if either of the parents are red based, you know that yours must also carry red. You can test for agouti zygosity as well, but if either parents are black based and not bay, perlino, or buckskin, you know that they don't carry agouti(agouti always shows itself on black, but hides behind red) and in order to be homozygous anything, a horse needs to collect it from both parents. It's easy enough to test for a billion various traits, but if you can eliminate possibilities by knowing what's going on with the parents, you can save yourself money.

Good point Matt, I should have listed what I know, other than the visual tobiano, creme and agouti. Sire is a black pinto and dam is palomino pinto, so from that I know he has one black gene, one red gene and one agouti. I did have him tested to see if he was homozygous and he is not....but then I got thinking about his facial marking and partial blue eye.

Thanks for all the responses!!! It is really helpful......

Latest posts

Back