Speaking of dogs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AppyLover2

Reaction score
I have 3 small house dogs. Never intended to have that many but with my Shih Tzu and a stray last October and one the October before we have become a happy family of 4. My problem is my dogs are VERY VERY happy to see company come. We very seldom have company so when we do they go crazy. Hi people, jump, jump, jump, kiss kiss kiss, etc.

How do you stop overly excited behavior when the people who are visiting won't help you correct them? I've asked them to say "no" and make them stay down but they are reluctant to do it. While I can see it might make them uncomfortable to correct my pets in my home I really wish they could see that their help would be welcome.

What would you do/have you done to correct overly welcoming behavior.

I love 'em. I really do. But I need to try to get it across to them that not everybody loves them as much as Mom.

If they don't want to correct your dogs, then you must be the one to do it, but you need to have the visitors at least cooperate with you. You need to be at the door when they arrive and let them in. Then make sure they know ahead of time to totally ignore them...do not allow them to pet them, do not allow them to speak to them, and not even look at them. Just totally ignore them and walk through to the seating area. You will have to ensure the dogs are not allowed to jump up on them etc., until the guests invite them to.

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to watch Ceasor Milan.

I had the same problem with Amy body slamming anyone that came in the door. Not cool. She is so tall she puts her paws on your shoulders and can knock you down. No manners!

A real big huge down/stay about 10 feet back from the door worked real good. Sometimes I even back her way up into the kitchen and make her stay put. Takes lots of practice and reinforcement.

default_saludando.gif

I volunteer at the local humane society. So we have LOTS of jumpy dogs, wanting to go out for walks, etc.

What we do is if they jump up, just walk into them (it's kinder than knee-ing them in the chest, but it does make them put 4 paws on the floor) and say the word off. Also never give them attention if they are jumping on you. Most of them learn pretty quickly that jumping is bad manners. Then when they get off of you, we put them in to a sit, and only leash or pet them while they are sitting.

With my dogs, I clicker train them, I found it best to also tell them what you DO want them to do, instead of "no, bad, it's naughty when you jump and run around in circles" tell them "it's great when you greet me on all four paws!" "or I love it when you sit on the couch and wait for me."

So with my use-to-be-over-zealous yorkie, I have her sit on the couch and wait for me to take my coat and shoes off, and then go say hi to her. My Shiba Inu used to be VERY excitable. But she learned that paws on legs gets people ignoring you, and you only get attention by acting calm. In the beginning I had to be strict to the point of you only get attention when sitting calmly. Actually I have a place for her to go sit, on top of her crate - but blankets/mats/chairs work fine too - and she waits there till I say it's okay for her to come say hello.

So with visitors, I had a friend help simulate anytime there is someone at the door, having the dogs go sit where I tell you to sit (chair, crate, blanket), until I say it's okay. If they are sitting correctly, and then get up when the person comes in, just have the person go back out and close the door, and reposition the dog. Thereby not rewarding them for getting up (new person being the reward), but then rewarding them by saying it's okay when they have stayed in their place.

I can get videos of me with my dogs if you like.
default_smile.png
I love every minute I spend clicker training them.

Teach them boundaries and limitations when and where you ask for it. Company that does not cooporate can make things hard, but your dogs should look to you for guidance in situations. It's a learning process, but can be done. I have two big dogs that have been trained to give me my space and company too ...when I ask for it. Now all they have to do is look to me, my body language, energy and just pointing and telling them that way and they turn and give us space until they're invited to come join us.

I have a riding crop that I slapped on the back of the chair about 20 years ago when I had my first yorkie. I guess they talk because they have all known what the stick is instinctively. All I have to say is "Do I have to get the stick?" or just pick it up. They all listen and mind to the dreaded "STICK".

Back