Sophie

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susanne

dB
Reaction score
This evening at sunset, as we sat under the apple tree, our tiny friend Sophie passed away. We had already said goodbye, so every day of this past week was a stolen treasure.

Sophie came to live with us six years ago, already middle-aged. She was supposed to be a foster dog, but she had something more permanent in mind. We had our hands full with three dogs, though, including a recent adoptee, so we let her be adopted by a woman who had just lost her Maltese. When I took Sophie for a home visit, she gave me a dirty look as only she could and wouldn't have anything to do with her new owner-to-be. I knew this woman was kind and would give her a wonderful home for her, though, and gave my blessing.

As soon as she was gone, I regretted terribly having given her up.

I stayed in touch and heard what a pill Sophie had become. She would wet on the carpet and leave little offerings in the most unwelcome places. She began wandering off. One day the woman called to say that she had to move in with her son, who lived by a busy highway in Sandy. She was terrified Sophie would run off and get hit by a car, and asked if I would consider taking her back, as she knew that was what Sophie really wanted. I knew it was shat I really wanted.

So Sophie came home, determined never to be separated from me again. If any other woman dared to try to pick her up, Sophie would bark and growl ferociously (well, as ferociously as you can when you weight 9 pounds!). If I went outside and didn't take her, she would pace in from of the door, moaning the whole time.

Sophie was a Maltese/Toy Poodle mix, a mere bit of white fluff with huge eyes and a button nose -- but what she lacked in size she made up for in attitude. She was determined to knock Hillary, our Westie mix, out of her number one dog status. One night Hillary was on the bed while Sophie waited to be lifted up. She was enraged that Hillary was already up there, and leaped at her, snarling and biting. Hillary snarled back, and finally reached down, grabbed Sophie by the ear and held her in mid-air. Sophie was unphased and snarled the whole time.

While I was Sophie's person, with time she discovered, as all animals do, that Keith was the protector, especially when I did something disloyal like trimming her claws or giving her a bath. She would glare at me, then snuggle into Keith's arms with her back turned toward me.

This past winter we discovered that Sophie was diabetic and had a heart murmur. Ironically, she had type I diabetes just as I have, so we shared a ritual of twice daily injections of insulin. She hated this, but put up with it as long as I kissed and held her afterward.

For awhile, all was well. When I came home from the hospital in June and spent my days and many nights ensconced upon our lawn swing, Sophie was my constant companion. One day Keith came home from work and caught her by surprise (she was pretty much blind by then), and she leaped from the swing, ready to tear him apart, limb by limb, until she realized who he was.

By late summer, however, Sophie's health began once again to fail despite the insulin. When you weight 9 pounds, there's not much room for error. Eventually she spent all of her time lying in her bed, once or twice pulling herself out to come find me. Our vet felt that as long as she was not in pain, she would tell us when it was time. I had a talk with Sophie and told her that it was okay -- I knew she had to leave and that she didn't need to hang on for me. Almost immediately she perked, as if to say "That's what you think!"

Sadly, this improvement didn't last, and the hot weather was very hard on her. We had an appointment with Dr. Horton scheduled for Thursday, and I knew what we had to do. Sophie was not enjoying life, and I could no longer make her happy. Today as I worked, I held her on my lap, shifting her fragile body frequently to keep her as comfortable as possible. Late in the day, after it had cooled down a bit, we visited briefly with the other dogs, then went outside to sit under the apple tree beside the corrals. All four horses came to their respective gates and gently sniffed her.

The autumn sun was sinking behind the ridge, turning the leaves of the tree overhead golden. Keith had come home from work and we sat in silence. Sophie's breathing was labored; I so hated to see and feel her discomfort and I attempted to find a better position for her. She stretched once, and then she was gone.

One last time, Keith acted as her protector, checking her with his stethoscope, finding an appropriate box for a casket, and showing her to Teddy and Shadow so they would know where she had gone. He located the perfect location on our hill where she can watch over us, and dug her grave. I tucked her in an old sweater of mine -- a sweater she used to climb under when she was cold -- and we laid her gently in the box.

I'm a bit lost right now...no feedings every other hour, no holding the water dish so she could quench her thirst. We have more room in our bed, but really, a 9 pound dog doesn't take up much room. It was the size of her heart that held such a huge place in our lives.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Susanne! What a loving tribute to Sophie. That was so well told that I felt like I was there when she breathed her last breath and i have tears streaming down my face. What a dearly loved little girl she was.

I have a little maltese named Sophie. She's young and I hope it's many years from now before I have to face this with her.

{{HUGS}}

I knew this was coming, rest in peace. little one.

Susanne there is another dog, somewhere, right now, waiting to help fill the gap.

I am a great believer in just sitting still and waiting- the dog will find you and I shall look forward to that post form you.

Susanne, I am so very sorry for the loss of your dear Sophie! What a wonderful tribute you have written for her.

Susanne --

I am so sorry about Sophie. When I saw the topic, my heart sank. I remember when Hillary passed away, and how much your writing touched me at that time and I feel the same way now. I know what it's like to have a little dog and how amazing it is to me when I stop and think how important something that little can be. It almost boggles my mind to look at Winston, a whopper of 20# and think how that 20# of fur boy means the world to me and H. I am so sorry about Sophie but I am very happy she had parents like you and Keith. She was a very lucky girl.

Hugs (and shared tears),

Jill

Oh Susanne, it is hard to type thru the tears. What a wonderful tribute you've written for her. I know this empty place in your heart will never go away but as Jane said...some day some shiney eyes and soft wet nose will nudge your heart if it's meant to be. I am so very sorry for all of your heartache and loss.

Susanne That was a wonderful tribute from the heart for a little bodied but lion hearted dog, rest in peace Sophie, you were loved and will be missed.

Yvonne

I am so sorry for your sadness. I wish I could put things into words like you as I know exactly how you feel. I had to take my beloved 13 yr. old Sheltie, Ruby, my beautiful ring bearer in our wedding, to the vet yesterday for her last breath.

I've never cried so hard. I thought I was ok, so I punished myself by push mowing 2 acres. When I came in and listened to the phone messages, my vet had left a message saying my money was no good at their office today and they had torn up my check. Needless to say, I started bawling again.

My son got us a long haired doxie 2 days ago, so I have a new life to form. I will forever miss Ruby.

Be well, Sophie will be waiting for you. I told Ruby I will see her in about 50 yrs, so save us a good spot.
default_yes.gif
:

I am so sorry and know your sadness only too well. Not long ago I lost Munchie, like your Sophie a tiny body that was overfilled with love and attitude. Munchie also was a rescue and had a heart murmer. That was how she left, in my arms and so very, very loved.

Unlike you, I have no other canines to help fill the huge void. She speaks to me still and I feel her enter the room every night when I return home from work, to greet me. It is so hard to bear and yet, neither of us regret even one instant of the time they needed for care. It just hurts -- although they are in a better place -- it hurts.

(((HUGS)))
default_wub.png
: Enjoy your memories.....you know Sophie is spiriting near you.

(((((((SUSANNE and KEITH))))))))))))) I am soooooo sorry for your loss!!! I never met Sophie, but I knew how very much a part of your family she was and I know she knew how very much she was loved. My heart is broken for you both.

Susanne,

I feel your pain. My heart goes out to you.

Carol

Susanne and Keith,

I am so so sorry. It is so dang hard one an animal picks us to loose them. It was obvious that she choose you and that you both had a special connection with her. She will always be in your hearts.

(((Hugs)))

Whiskeyranch,

My condolensces to you also. (((Hugs)))

All of you, It sounds a little trite to say that I understand, but I do. I have been where you all are, and it hurts like "H" "E" double hockey sticks. Yes, I have felt and heard my beloved pets after they have passed... their toe nails making noise when they walk across the floor, their breath in my hair, and the jingle of their collar when I least expect it. It will take time for the pain to heal, but please take comfort in those feelings as they are there not to torment you, but rather to comfort you and let you know that although they can not be seen, they still see and are with you.

Again, (((hugs))) to you all.

What a beautiful tribute to a special little dog. Brought tears to my eyes. What a nice way to say goodbye.....so much better than in a vets office. I know there's a big sad hole in your heart right now and I'm sorry you lost your friend. :no:

Oh, I'm so sorry she didn't have it in her to stay. As you know, it was beyond her control, because she was (and is) always with you in her own mind.

She seemed to have found a second wind on Sunday, and I had hope as I know you did. I was impressed with her resolve, as well as impressed with your's and Keith's devotion to her.

This is beautiful. My heart goes out to you. You've had some rough losses this past year.

As you know, time passes and the pain becomes less sharp, though never completely assuaged.

For that, I am sorry.

Liz M.

Oh, Susanne, you've brought tears to my eyes. Hugs to you and Keith during this tough time - I'm thinking of you!

I'm sad to hear of Sophie's passing, Susanne and Keith!

I know this is an immeasurable loss to you.

She was very fortunate to have spent her time with you.

She knew she was loved and you know you loved her.

It is so very difficult to part with those that we love.

You find ways to get through periods of time and hope the times

following will be easier.

Somehow, we manage to fill the void left by the one so loved.

Time does ease, but always, there are those times when that doesn't seem sufficient.

There seems to be so little that others can say or do right at this time.

Hopefully, just knowing that we care will make it somewhat easier.

I am so sorry for your loss...I know how hard this is, and may time heal your broken heart....

Liz R.

Back