Something that really bugs me...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To me, it's who is sending the card and the fact that they cared enough to send it that is important.

I'm not offended by any card that is sent out of friendship or love -- they are all wonderful, whether they speak to my beliefs or not. It is the message of love and friendship that is important.

My favorites, though, are those whose messages are written by the sender, not by a copywriter at Hallmark.

I know in my family we will NOT buy a card if it has anything to do with "holiday" It started out as CHRISTmas and it will ALWAYS be
default_yes.gif
: JMO, Steph

Beccy I gotta love you cause I always did anyhow and I was just thinking the same thing while hunting the Christmas stuff to add to my website. So much now is Happy Holidays or Season's Greetings. Dan informs me that he will be on "WINTER VACATION" instead of Christmas vacation over the holiday season too. And that the CHRISTMAS FORMAL is now the WINTER FORMAL. They made LAWS that says this is how it has to be.

It's a different world now Beccy. EVERYONE IS SO BLASTED TOUCHY !!!!! and so afraid of stepping on this ones toes and that ones toes and getting offended to the point that sometimes you can't even spit a good loogie so I guess this is all happening to try to just make everyone happy and I get that. I understand the point you are making clearly and I do believe as far as consumers go, that is to help market their products and also, check out the HOLIDAY TV commercials now. So Merry Christmas or Happy Kwanza or Happy Hanukkah or Feliz Navidad or Hey Diddle Diddle........whatever it is.........I just want PEACE in the world and somehow IN MY darn LOUSY STINKIN LIFE without offending anyone

So, the way I see it is that to each his own. I won't be offended if I get any cards that are wishing me a Happy Holiday season at all. I will be grateful if I even get any.

But as for our house, even though I have faltered in my faith and I'm working on that it will still always be MERRY CHRISTMAS here if that is at all possible.

I married a Jewish guy 7 years ago
default_yes.gif
:

I am thankful for the "Happy Holiday" cards.

It just makes it easier for me to send out to family & friends.

You certainly don't hear this much complaining from people celebrating those "other" holidays this time of year when every other thing they look at reads "Merry Christmas!"
default_wacko.png
:
I'm Christian myself, but I studied Hebrew for a few years at a Rabbinic school and still keep in touch with Jewish friends and believe me - I hear MUCH complaining about how they are surrounded by Christmas for 2-3 months out of the year. If I put myself in their shoes, I can hardly blame them.

My personal opinion is that since most people in the USA now celebrate Christmas more as a family holiday and not in the religious sense, having the "holiday" separated from the "religious" Christmas that I celebrate with my family, friends, and other Christians might not be such a bad thing. Kind of draws a line and puts the "secular" Christmas = "Holiday" on one side and the religous Christmas on the other.

If I want things that say "Christmas" I know I can always go to a Christian bookstore or order them on line.

And by the way, most companies don't sell things to be politically correct. They sell what will make them the most money and having items that say "Happy Holidays" and can be used for any of the holidays and by people of any belief system makes more money.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always try to get cards that say "Happy Holidays" in them rather than "Merry Christmas". I actually do this for several reasons.

1. I am wishing them the best of the season and ALL the holidays, not neccessarily just one in particular.

2. I don't want to offend someone who may not believe in Christmas. If I know that they do celebrate it, then I simply put "Merry Christmas" right above my signature.

3. I've always thought the meaning of sending cards was to show someone that you're thinking of them and sending warm wishes. So truthfully, I've never put too much thought into sending "Christmas" cards.

Interesting topic though. It kinda makes me feel like maybe some of the people I've sent cards to over the years, have shared your view and might not have appreciated the cards I did send.
default_unsure.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:
I find it hard to find good looking cards that aren't overly religious- in imagery if nothing else. I don't care so much about the greeting... though I am picky about what my cards say! LOL

Honestly, I don't see any difference between the two... it's a minor thing, really. The spirit of the season is more important, regardless of what or who you believe in...

I totally hear you Becky and understand what your saying.

My responce is to make my own cards or Christmas letters to friends and family.

I have to admit though I kinda like, it simply because everything going on is taking

away the "real reason for the season"...

My God was not born on this earth so we can sit around a tree,

getting a bunch of 'gifts', eating a bunch of food.

The real reason has left a long time ago and become a way for people to make money,

spend money, eat, drink, and be merry !

Do we buy gifts for the kids ... sure

But we spend more time giving thanks for Christ birth and the reason he came.

All Christian's have known that these times have been coming, he told us they were,

we can not change them as it is in his great plan.

How right you are Debbie, but it still deeply saddens me to think that the celebration of our Saviour's birth the way we have always known it, is being changed into a nameless, meaningless time of year.

In case anyone misunderstood what I was saying, I was not suggesting that there should be no Happy Holidays cards, I am just bugged that this seems to be 3/4 of what is out there now, and that anything I like nowadays says Happy Holidays, which is not MY choice. And yes I too have resorted in the past to making my own.

I am not suggesting in any way that other faiths should not celebrate their own occasions, and yes I can see that Happy Holidays for some people includes friends and family who are not Christians, but I wish they would leave a good selection for those of us who want Christmas to be the theme of our holiday, as it always has been. I don't think telling them to rename their religious symbols etc to "Holiday" whatevers, would go over well. Tell Jewish people that it is no longer a "mennorah", but a "holiday candleabra", and see what they say!

Also, to whoever said (sorry, can't remember without going back through the posts) that it is not political correctness that has stores selling whatever, it is the bottom line, yes too right it is, but unfortunately political correctness is what sells these days. :no:

And Marty, love you too
default_wub.png
: I agree as far as receiving cards, I have always appreciated cards sent to us no matter what was written on them, I just personally choose to send out something that reflects Christmas.

Latest posts

Back