Something that really bugs me...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beccy

Reaction score
While I was out this afternoon, I stopped in a couple of places to look at Christmas cards, thinking to get them done up early ready to be mailed later would be good. I could not believe how many packages were marked "Holiday" cards, rather than Christmas cards. It was a pet peeve of my mum's, and I have always insisted that what I buy say either Merry Christmas, or at least Season's Greetings, but almost all the cards I liked today said Happy Holidays inside them! Then I noticed other Christmas items that were also marked the same way. Holiday lights, Holiday decorations, Holiday this that and the other thing. They say that this is partly due to companies trying to cash in on other celebrations such as Hannuka and Kwanza, but I really feel it is just to be politically correct. Decorated trees, and coloured lights on the houses have always been associated with CHRISTmas. I would not try to push my beliefs on anyone else, but I am beginning to resent this turning Christmas into just another meaningless commercial celebration. I don't mean this as a Christians against non Christians issue, but I truly don't see why other faiths can't just not take part if that is their choice. Why do our traditions have to change?

FULL AGREEMENT HERE..............It is CHRISTMAS always will be in my Christian household...........

Yep, I'm in agreement too!!! I will never forget not being able to have a Christmas pageant in school for the first time....we had a 'winter theme' which did totally suck!!!!

AND my neice has just started into the school system, and being Halloween and all, they weren't allowed to wear any costumes to school....only orange & black
default_wacko.png
:

I totally understand people having different beliefs and all, but sometimes things get taken a little too far in my opinion

~kathryn

Count me in too. I am so frustrated. People do not have to celebrate the holiday if they do not believe but we should be able to have Our holiday just the way it has always been for those of us that do! It is Christmas!!!! If you don't believe.....................don't celebrate! Simple.

Ditto for me too! I hate to see the 'minority' rule again!! America has celebrated Christmas for years. I am SICK of this political correct crap!

Pam

Sorry, but saying holiday instead of Christmas just doesn't bother me. Celebrate Christmas if you want, or Hannukah, or Kwanza, or something else or nothing at all, but why be offended because some individual, company, corporation, politician or whoever used all-inclusive "holiday" instead of your holiday's name? You certainly don't hear this much complaining from people celebrating those "other" holidays this time of year when every other thing they look at reads "Merry Christmas!"
default_wacko.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:
Frankly, I always preferred the Happy Holidays cards - as that took in New Year's as well. Happy Holidays cards and greetings have been around all my life - it is not just new politically correct mumbo-jumbo.

There are still Merry Christmas cards available.... as well as greetings for Hanukkah or Kwanzaa or whatever you believe in.

I think the feelings of the season - you know, Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Men - are the important part... and not terminology.

Boy, I have to say tagalong said it best for me.

I am not a Christian nor do I believe in any god, for that matter, but my family and I celebrate Christmas and I for sure say Merry Christmas, and have no problem respecting that people feel very deeply religious about the holiday.

We spend the time gathering around our tables, sitting by the fire, doing things together and thinking and caring for one another, just focusing on our time together, and sharing what we have with others. Peace on earth, good will toward man. Indeed.

If I send a Happy Holidays card, don't get the wrong idea about me. It's because I want your Holidays which may include Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's or any number of holidays that occur at that time of year. I don't think it's right to completely do away with any of those sentiments, it will eventually water us all down to a bunch of boring twits.

So enjoy your holidays in the way you want to, and say it how you want. I won't mind.
default_smile.png

Liz M.

It does not bother me at all.

I can appreciate the "need" for Happy Holiday's cards because not everyone in my life celebrates Christmas, even though my family does.

DITTO!!!

Another pet peeve pn mine. Why does most every product in any type of store these days have to have multiple languages on them? If, they want to live here, LEARN OUR LANGUAGE!!! Don't make us have to change our ways!

Frankly, I always preferred the Happy Holidays cards - as that took in New Year's as well. Happy Holidays cards and greetings have been around all my life - it is not just new politically correct mumbo-jumbo.

There are still Merry Christmas cards available.... as well as greetings for Hanukkah or Kwanzaa or whatever you believe in.
I think it has changed greatly. I always remember there being Happy Holidays cards too, but there would be the odd box here and there, and the boxes themselves were always labelled "Christmas" cards. We bought "Christmas" lights, "Christmas" decorations, and "Christmas" novelties. Now it is just about "Holiday" everything. Yes there are Merry Christmas cards, but now THEY are few and far between, and the word Christmas is rapidly dissapearing from anything associated with the season.

There were also always Season's Greetings cards which encompassed both Christmas and New Year's. (I do acknowledge that those of you in the U.S. include Thanksgiving in the holidays also, here in Canada our Thanksgiving is in October, so completely different from the Christmas season)

Liz I most definitely respect what you believe and celebrate, but if you enjoy the season and do not mind saying Merry Christmas, then I don't understand why others can't? I heard a muslim man on television last year saying that even he did not understand why they wanted to change what the season is all about. He said they don't change what they celebrate for others, and he actually celebrates "Christmas" with his children also, as a way of teaching them about other faiths.

There are many people who are not Christians that still celebrate Christmas, and in that case, why does it matter if it is still called Christmas?

And when some of you say the important thing is still Peace on Earth, Goodwill toward men, I agree, but where did that come from? The Bible!

I am not saying that people should wish someone a Merry Christmas if that is not what they believe, but I feel very saddened that those of us who always have, and to whom this time of year is very significant, are being forced to change our holiday to suit the times.

Sorry, but saying holiday instead of Christmas just doesn't bother me. Celebrate Christmas if you want, or Hannukah, or Kwanza, or something else or nothing at all, but why be offended because some individual, company, corporation, politician or whoever used all-inclusive "holiday" instead of your holiday's name? You certainly don't hear this much complaining from people celebrating those "other" holidays this time of year when every other thing they look at reads "Merry Christmas!"
default_wacko.png
:
Because though there are many faiths in Canada and the U.S., these countries were both founded on Christian principles, not muslim or Jewish or whatever.

Why should they be offended to read Merry Christmas when it has always been a part of the history of our nations? Why is it a problem to keep these occasions distinct? Why turn them all into one generic mishmash of "holiday" sentiment?

You may be surprised to learn that decorated trees and lights precede the Christians by a lot of years. The Druids did the evergreen thing way before Christ was around. In fact, if you research you would find many of the Christian traditions were borrowed from us pagans. I've always kept both Yule and Christmas, as my Mom and brothers do.

Yes Cronewolf, some do predate Christianity, Yule logs, mistletoe and probably many others. Gift giving was a custom from before Christ, but the reason we celebrate Christmas that way, is because of it's significance relating to the birth of Christ. Many traditions at this time of year such as a decorated tree did originate with Christmas (the Druids and Egyptians and probably others, used evergreen trees and boughs, but decorating them with ornaments originated in Germany, as did many other traditions) and those that didn't, wherever they came from, have long been part of our traditions.

It bothers me that our right to choose which cards we like to send is being taken away. I was looking for cards that said Merry Christmas on them and out of all the boxes I found 1......that's it, 1. I know it's "politicly correct" to say Happy Holidays or Season's Greetings.....but come on now! Most of us celebrate Christmas......don't we have a choice either?

Jill, that is perfect. I do not want to do away with the Happy Holiday cards, but I do want the choice like we used to have. You used to be able to buy both types everywhere, now we have to search if we want just Christmas cards. I have taken to making my own now to avoid the hunt.

default_wacko.png
:
I totally agree really it is about the fact that someone took the time to think of me and my family and send me a card for the holiday not if it says Christmas or Kwanza or Soltice or anything else.

holiday sentiment, Christmas sentiment bottom line to me it is all about the same thing.. wishing others well and a happy peaceful season..

Last edited:
Well for me it is not so much what the card says but how nice the picture on the card looks. And it absolutely, positively has to have horses on it. If it isn't a horse card, then I don't send. Even my all occasion cards have to have horses on them. Everyone I know always knows when a card is from me as soon as they open it.

Back