Something interesting......

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickysminis

Reaction score
I have recently purchased a new mare (well i say purchased, she is now living with me but i haven't finished paying for her yet!!!).

I am unsure of her past but i would say she has had some kind of abuse as she is not too sure about humans. She doesn't like to be caught and when you do have hold of her she gets very worried and the slightest touch makes her twitchy, it's like she's ultra sensitive to the touch, all over her body.

Anyway, i have be working with her slowly to gain her trust (i base my methods on that of Monty Roberts, ie; join up, etc) but we are still not at a point where i can just walk up to her in the field and catch her (you can kind of catch her with food, you have to grab her mane quick while she is eating, but i don't like to do this), although i can now at least get close enough to touch her nose.

BUT today an interesting thing happened....I was in the field, when all of a sudden the 3 mares got spooked by something and were all dashing about each other, as they do, when Bubbles (the aforementioned mare) came straight up to me and stood right next to me, i reached out and she let me stroke her head and put my arm over her neck to cuddle. I then walked across the field and they came running over and Bubbles did the same thing again, she ran up and stood right next to me. It was as if she was coming to me for protection.

Could this be the case? Have i made a break through? or am i just reading too much into this?
default_wacko.png

I would love to hear what you think.

Thanks

Nicky

Sounds to me like maybe a break through!!! Will be interesting to see if it happens again. Good luck!!!

Barbie

I doubt very much this mare has been abused, just hasn't been handled much. Sounds like she has come to know you as the head of the herd though and looks to you for protection - very good first step to becoming partners!

I agree that she most likely hasn't been abused and was just not handled at all. My great grandparents were the ones that started our family in the miniature horse business and the way they ran the farm was old style. They had about 50 mares that would be in a 20 acre pasture with a stallion from April to November-after the stallions were taken away, all of the mares were put together again in a 40 acre pasture. The next summer they would be split up the mares and put them in with the stallions again, they would foal out in the pasture, etc. About half of the foals would be super friendly and loving, the other half would be just like your mare. We still have a couple of old broodmares that they raised and while they aren't quite so bad because we've worked with them ALOT since then, they still would just prefer you didn't touch them.

I truly believe she is looking to you as her "protector". Great job, you got by a milepost with her!!!!!!!!!!! I only say this because I had a similar mare act this way, then one day she "changed" for the better, and has never went back to her old ways...at least not yet!!!!

[SIZE=12pt]That's wonderful.... [/SIZE]

She obviously felt comfortable/secure with you being by her side or better yet maybe she felt like she was actually protecting you.

I think she's realised you won't hurt her and will protect her. It's awesome when they come around like that!

I have a Sheltand that I bought as an untouched weaner. We kept him in a stall, but still, when you wanted to catch him you literally had to make a loop out of your lead and lasso him!
default_new_shocked.gif
This went on for MONTHS.

Then, one day, I went in his stall and just stood there. He hid in the corner, then walked right up next to me and I put his halter on, no fuss. From that day forward, I can catch him anywhere. They even got out one time and our friends came over to help catch them all (we had 18 loose horses!!!) and Katie was so pleased- "I just walked up and caught Chet!"

Good job!

Lucy

I agree with Lori, it sounds as if she just has not been handled, so, yes, breakthroughs do often come suddenly in these cases.

Years ago I had a Connemara mare...from Connemara, wild as the hills she came form!!

Never been touched.

I tuned her out with my Welsh mare and left her alone, just fed them every day and got her used to be talked to, as I had had to stall her at first as she had an eye injury, that did not help the trust issues!!

Anyway, ling story short, it took around three months but one day she just walked up to me, stuck her head in the bucket and ate. When she had finished she let me halter her and even walked a little with me.

By the time she foaled she was difficult to get rid of, not hard to catch!!

If you can, I would advise against grabbing her to catch her, especially now, and I would just let her come to you.

Well done, BTW sounds like you are half way home.

I agree with the above posters........She sees you as a source of safety now. And no, she probably wasn't abused but was just a part of a group and not a pocket pet for anyone. A lot of horses can be a pain to catch, but then once you have them they are fine.

Part of the problem (in my opinion) with catching is so often people will "lunge" or make an abrupt movement when trying to catch their horse. This can trigger a predator/prey response in them. (My husband tends to do this because he seems to always be in a hurry.) This is also why children can be spooky to some horses.....They can be very abrupt with their movements.

I LOVE "joining up". For me, it's like a dance with the horse. But it only works (for me) in a round pen or smaller type paddock.......not in a huge field.

When dealing with a nervous or ditzy horse in a larger area, I like putting him or her with a calmer horse who knows I'm safe, the alpha, and the source of food.
default_biggrin.png
The nervous horse then can witness that I am giving out good scritches, good food, and positive all around......I also go out my way to "accidentally" touch the nervous horse in some way. It tends to happen during feeding time. Usually just in passing, my hand will run along the animal's side, or butt........or down the shoulder.....some kind of physical contact. It can take days or weeks, but eventually I will be able scritch the horse's face and neck....and often cup my hand under the chin. When that happens, I know that trust is beginning.

I LOVE "joining up". For me, it's like a dance with the horse.

I loved reading this Maryann and I agree ! It is so wonderful when you have earned their trust!
default_aktion033.gif

How old is the mare Nicky?????

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all and thanks for all your encouragement to Nicky and Bubbles. She is 9 yrs old and has had 5 foals. We owned her for two and a half years and she was a bundle of nerves when she came to us. Nicky, don't grab at her, that is what her previous owners did and she hates it. Remember, she loves digestive biscuits
default_wink.png
( we found that out after my OH spent hours just sitting in the pasture waiting for her to come to him, he loves them too
default_biggrin.png
) She was more or less left to her own devices during the time that her previous owners had her and she wants to be loved but just doesn't know how.

Many thanks for all your replies.

We seem to be making huge progress now. I can walk up to her in the field and scratch her wither, she is still a little unsure but isn't walking off as soon as i get near her like she used to.

I know if i need to catch her, ie for the farrier etc, i can always use food, but i don't like to do this. I would rather she be happy to be caught of her own accord. I want her to 'want' to be with me, just like her daughter Bagpuss does (i have had her since she was weaned) i can't get rid of her, she is a real pocket pony!! Likewise with my colt, who i have also owned since he was a foal.

I don't get to spend as much time with her as i would like due to work and family commitments, which is why i am so pleased with her progress so far, especially considering the relativley small amount of time i get to spend with her.

As Shadelady says she just wants to be loved, and loved she is.

Thanks again

Nicky

Latest posts

Back