Something Interesting That the Vet Felt Today

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

StarRidgeAcres

I'm about at my wits end with my mares holding on to their babies. I want fully cooked foals, but this is getting ridiculous as these mares are not doing what they usually do.

So, last night I thought for sure Classy was going to have her foal. (Of course I've thought that before and was obviously wrong.) She was rubbing her back legs (I call it doing the fly dance
default_laugh.png
), rubbing her butt, biting her sides, rolling. I watched her ALL night; even sent an email to work saying I was taking a vacation day today because I was sure I'd be having a foal and having the vet out for Ig testing and examining the mare, etc.

So in my exhaustion this morning and total frustration I call the vet in tears. I just can't stay up any more nights and continue to function during the day. I was just losing it. Of course there is nothing she can do for me but she offered to come out and examine them and see if there was any info she could offer that would help me. So this afternoon she comes out and palpate Classy and Goldie. She does Classy first (this is rectal) and she's in there a long time. She says the foal is most certainly alive and is VERY active after she woke it up. She also said the foal is only about 4" in!
default_new_shocked.gif
She's (yeah, I'm thinking filly thoughts
default_laugh.png
) is RIGHT there! I could just go in and get her!
default_new_rofl.gif

BUT, the really neat part and my vet said she's NEVER experienced this, is that when she was running her finger around the foal's nose, the foal stuck out it's tongue with a suck reflex!
default_new_shocked.gif
Isn't that awesome?!! Very cool.

So, the vet feels like Classy is extremely close...as she should be, she's at day 356!!! But Classy gets no bag so there's no milk to test. She doesn't get milk until labor starts.

And then Goldie who is at day 342 has a huge bag and is measuring in the 85% for the last 3 days on the milk test. But she thought Goldie was not as close as Classy.

So, that's my story. I just thought it was cool that she could feel the tongue come out in reaction to her touching the nose with her finger.

Happy foaling everyone!
default_luck.gif

Wow - that's crazy! I knew the sucking reflex was inherent, but I would've never guessed they had it in the womb. And what is with these long gestations this year?! Normally when we have a warm year the mares foal early.
default_no.gif

Here's hoping that the fillies got the message from the vet today and hurry up and make their appearance!!! I just realized that Toffee is at 303 days today (yes?) which is when Mira foaled Max last year!!! So Classy & Goldie better hurry up...

That is really neat. Gotta share a good laugh with you... I am reading your post... then I get to the part where it says the foal is only about 4 inches
default_new_shocked.gif
... I totally missed the word "in" following the 4 inches part..., so here I am gasping at your 4 inch long foal, re-reading your post and laughing at my own self for the incredible goof. If my brain thinks you are having a 4 inch long foal at first read...I better just put myself to bed now. Good luck and best wishes.
default_wub.png
Happy foaling! Hope to see pictures soon.

That is really neat. Gotta share a good laugh with you... I am reading your post... then I get to the part where it says the foal is only about 4 inches
default_new_shocked.gif
... I totally missed the word "in" following the 4 inches part..., so here I am gasping at your 4 inch long foal, re-reading your post and laughing at my own self for the incredible goof. If my brain thinks you are having a 4 inch long foal at first read...I better just put myself to bed now. Good luck and best wishes.
default_wub.png
Happy foaling! Hope to see pictures soon.
LOL It must be time for bed because I kept reading the same thing too. Wow, only 4" after almost a year long gestation. Smallest FILLY
default_wink.png
ever.

Thats what happened to my mare. Christina checked her cause she was doing absolutely nothing but had white milk. She reached in and boom there was the head and the baby was defintelly ready to be born. She felt all the way around and was like I think this is the nose, sure enough the baby grabbed her finger and started to suck. She said it felt awesome, she needs to be an vet assistant lol. About an hour later that mare finially started to lie down and push and in 15 min. baby was out. Unfortuantly some knows what happened to the poor lil guy.
default_no.gif

I hope your mares foal for you soon. That one has to foal any day now.

Wow - that's crazy! I knew the sucking reflex was inherent, but I would've never guessed they had it in the womb. And what is with these long gestations this year?! Normally when we have a warm year the mares foal early.
default_no.gif

Who had a warm year? Cuz I know down here in TX it was the coldest one in a very long time!
default_new_shocked.gif

I can feel your pain. I had FIVE mares 340 or more LAST week.
default_unsure.png

Down to THREE mares over 340 THIS week!!!
default_sad.png

Thank goodness for Mare Stare and Breeder Alert!
default_smile.png

Like you. my mares are just not bagging up as much as I would like to see prefoaling. They seem to do it fast and then it is all over.

Thinking positive thoughts for you Parmela and hoping she gives that baby up soon so you can get some much needed rest.

You guys crack me up!
default_laugh.png
I love the 4 INCH filly! Now, THAT would be something!!!
default_new_shocked.gif

And nope, she's not had it yet. I thought for sure with the vet in there moving things around it would "encourage" her to have it but no. Here's a pic off the cam from this morning. That's a BIG belly on a 29" mare!

classycam7.jpg

And yes, it's a filly. I'll tell you after SHE'S born how I know!
default_wink.png
Let's just say a little birdie told me.
default_wub.png

I can't imagine waiting that long for a foal to come!! The latest mine have foaled is 338 days. One mare likes to go in the 320's. This year it was 335 and 336 and my maiden is at 335 today and I suspect she'll go today as she was waxed this morning. I'd like to know how you know it's a filly!!!
default_smile.png
Good luck foaling. Here's to getting a good night's sleep!

Holy cow!
default_new_shocked.gif
(Sorry Classy!)
default_laugh.png

I hope she foals soon Parmela!
default_yes.gif
Hang in there!

My tired mare stare brain also first read 4" foal.
default_wacko.png
default_laugh.png

My tired mare stare brain also first read 4" foal.
default_wacko.png
default_laugh.png
I'm not on mare stare, yet, and I read 4" foal, too.
default_rolleyes.gif

Poor girl looks quite miserable and large, hope she goes soon and all is well with your new "filly".

Latest posts

Back