someone moved my horses!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indebtedfarms

Reaction score
The other night my husband woke up and our little filly was making all kinds of noise. He went out to check on her and someone had moved our stallions to the same pen and put our filly in where one of the stallions had been. All the gates were hooked closed so there is no way they could have done it on there own. The stallions must have fought all night. They both had bite and kick marks all over them. They both seem fine but I am so angry about this. Who would do this? I live 10 miles outside of town in a good neighborhood. I just can't figure out why this would be funny to someone. Well, I just had to vent!!!!!! Thanks

Ugh! I feel your pain! A year ago we had someone coming out to the farm at night and leaving gates open. We posted no trespassing signs and video surveillance stickers, and I started doing random evening checks, and it hasn't happened again, but it's pretty scary. We even found a scrunchy in one of the mare's forelocks, which leads me to believe it's probably teens from the two subdivisions we have in either direction. At least your stallions didn't have serious injuries, and they didn't put one of them with your filly! Here's hoping it doesn't happen again. :no:

That's terrible! Same thing happened to us. Last year one of our stallions was let out in our big 20 acre pasture with all 25+ of our mares. He was put out at night and we found him in the morning...looking quite happy! We were EXTREMELY angry as it happened in late July and I knew a few of the mares were in heat...and NOT supposed to be bred to that stallion. We also have a little dwarf mare that we keep to make sure she will never be bred. Well she was also in heat and for a month I was so nervous thinking that he might have bred her. Turned out to be a little boy about a mile from us that did it. He was a deaf boy and I felt bad for him. A month later he burnt down his parent's barn though
default_sad.png
Luckily our stallion didn't settle any of the mares he wasn't supposed to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to sound negative but your positive there wasn't some fence pushing and everyone ended up in the wrong spot??

Believe it or not I thought people were doing the same thing, until I found out truly my horses had found a panel that was loose and NOT ANYONE could see this.

I'm going with Rob on this one....I have some Houdini's that can seem to get in and out of pens that I thought were fool-proof. If this isn't the case, it's just sad that it happened and I guess it's a blessing that everyone is okay.

We just had an issue during the day where our biggest mare kept ending up in the paddock next to where she and several others are kept. At first we had no idea how she was getting there and thought some one moved her. After the 3rd time I knew she did it herself. She found the ties that anchor our woven wire fencing to the T posts had broken along the bottom for several post. She learned to push under (tight fit)

and keep on walking. When she cleared the fence it snapped back just like nothing happened. Fixed fence and she is still where she belongs.

Mark

That makes me so mad! I hope you get to the bottom of this mess.

I had something similar happen, and because of other things that happened at the same time I KNOW it wasn't just a houdini horse. I know a lot of horses who can open each others stall doors or escape from a pasture but not one who opens a stall and lets a horse out then closes the door and latches and snaps it and not one who can get out of a fully enclosed stall with 5 foot high walls/doors without digging a hole. I also don't know any who drink cheap wine and then toss the bottle into their own pasture hard enough to shatter it.

I also now have security cameras up but the damage may already be done and I am none too happy about it.

:new_shocked: Yikes! Well hey I can join the club to, because we had someone about a year ago, that kept moving the horses around, and of ALL THINGS would let our stallion out with the yearling fillies!! LOTS of times, and the thing about it was, we knew it had to be somebody, BECAUSE the yearling fillies were stalled in the barn overnight, and the stallion was up in our front yard, so busting through 3 sets of fences in just a couple hours, NO WAY, but to the chains were all unlocked, and even one of the front gate's lock was broke! So I feel your pain, we finnally just got locks for every one of the gates, and luckly(HOPE IT NEVER does again) it hasn't happened again, I guess it got to much trouble for whoever was doing it...
default_unsure.png
:

OH, AND BTW if it was horses, then they have a huge taste for some cigars!! lol We found them all over the place.

Dont forget these little guys can jump quite a tall fence too!! My neighbors have had that happen over the years, even with four foot fencing!! Or crawl under and through!!!

I am going to vote on that option as well - that THEY are your mystery movers! I am sure the filly freaked and let herself OUT when the fight was on, or one of them may have run her off.

It is apparent that one of your stallions has it in for the other- you are lucky that they are ok. I have heard of not so great endings!!

Ugh! I feel your pain! A year ago we had someone coming out to the farm at night and leaving gates open. We posted no trespassing signs and video surveillance stickers, and I started doing random evening checks, and it hasn't happened again, but it's pretty scary. We even found a scrunchy in one of the mare's forelocks, which leads me to believe it's probably teens from the two subdivisions we have in either direction. At least your stallions didn't have serious injuries, and they didn't put one of them with your filly! Here's hoping it doesn't happen again. :no:

A scrunchy? I bet it was Marty who left it! :bgrin

A scrunchy? I bet it was Marty who left it!
That's what I was thinking too--It was Marty that time around!! :lol:
You have to wonder WHY someone would come & mix up other people's horses but I guess some get their jollies that way. I hope you don't have a repeat performance.

Or...... did one of them get out and a passerby put it in the first available paddock rather than let it get hit on the road?? Lots of possibilities. Double check all your fences. String hot wire across the top if they are less than 42" tall. SERIOUSLY -- had one hormonal stallion jump a cattle panel with total ease and he was jumping UP HILL !!! (If I hadn't been right there I would never have believed it.) And if still concerned, put padlocks on all of your gates.

Sometimes it's houdini and other times it's a trespasser. I always check ALL my fence including those fencelines that are within the property border fence. A few years ago I was walking a gelding up the hill to a back adjoining pasture and nearly walked smack dab into one of the 16 foot long, 52" high, ten line panels. It had been disconnected on one side and lifted and walked into the mares' pasture and set at a 90 degree angle to the fence. Definitely not done by any houdini! And this would have allowed my stallion in with all the mares that I didn't want bred! Luckily I just about walked into it before the stallion noticed it was open as it was halfway through his pasture! And by the way, we lived at the end of a ten mile driveway.

I have padlocks on all my gates it is easier that way.

You can get cheap, combination locks and have them all on one code, or get a bunch of "keyed alike" locks.

That way you do at least know if it was an accident or deliberate, so you know what you are dealing with.

It is amazing what they can do themselves, though.

OH, AND BTW if it was horses, then they have a huge taste for some cigars!! lol We found them all over the place.
Great, I have drinkers and you have smokers.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I dunno what is worse, broken glass everywhere or tobacco and the risk of fire. Eh, that isn't true, fire scares the crap out of me, cigar stubs or butts or whatever they are called would be worse.

I know how you feel (to some extent). Last month we went out to the barn and someone had let Champ (our mini) out on 100 acres of lush pasture with cows. We were so terrified that he was going to founder! It was impossible that he got out because we always double lock our gates and double or triple check them to make sure they shut (yes, we are paranoid).

We have never had horses moved or let out but last year we had someone cut the mane and tail off our silver dapple gelding. The poor boy had nothing left but a forelock. Scarey what can happen!

Latest posts

Back