Some suggestions please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joylee123

Reaction score
My mares mane and tail are dry and a bit brittle. I'm looking for a really good conditioner that will make them soft and silky. Any Suggestions???

Thanks
default_smile.png

Joy

What's her diet like? Is she missing anything from that end that would cause brittle hair?

I just use a standard off the shelf horse conditioner for most of mine and put it through after a bath.

We use both Cowboy Magic and a hot oil treatment- can't remember it's name, reddish label.... works fine. But the best stuff I found is feeding it- DAC Oil. My guy is SOOO soft right now...
default_wub.png

If you've got a nice hot oil brand accesible that is always good, I always keep some on hand and use it during a pre show bath.

My regular conditioner is the 'Champion Tails' brand 'Natural Colour Conditioner'

I also use their shampoo... and their make up... actually a good serve of the Champion Tails range lives in my shed!
default_laugh.png

We use Mane N' Tail shampoo and conditioner, then after the bath, while they are still wet, spray them down with "Show Sheen" It puts a beautiful shine on them, and dirt just wicks right off of them after they are dry. It seems to last a week. But I agree with Wings, make sure her diet isn't laking anything.

Some of my weanlings seem to have dry flaky stuff in their manes. They look nice after the bath and a mineral oil treatment but not sure if it just cosmetic and not long lasting.

I am feeding them a hot mash with Tmax, beet pulp and a grain pellet with canola oil.

It has been hot and dry and dusty here this summer but has cooled off considerably these last few days.

Isn't flax seed supposed to give the shiny coat as well as black sunflower seeds? I personally have not had success with the flax and sunflower seeds but I hear others rave about those two products.

It is likely the amount that I have wrong.

My mares mane and tail are dry and a bit brittle. I'm looking for a really good conditioner that will make them soft and silky. Any Suggestions???

Thanks
default_smile.png

Joy

Go to WalMart ethnic hair care section, get the stuff called "pink". There's a leave in conditioner, and also a spray. Both leave it really soft, the spray puts a nice shine on! It's also supposed to help growth if used regularly.

Go to WalMart ethnic hair care section, get the stuff called "pink". There's a leave in conditioner, and also a spray. Both leave it really soft, the spray puts a nice shine on! It's also supposed to help growth if used regularly.

AWESOME! Thanks everyone!

Joy
default_aktion033.gif

I use a human hair product, you can find it in the ethnic section. Its something to use right after you shampoo the mane and tail, then rise out. Its called hair "cholesterol". Comes in a wide jar with a screw on lid. It works great, doesnt stain white hair, and is cheap.

Downy liquid softener the stuff you use in your wash..

Soak tail and mane, than pour the rest of the bucket

all over your entire horse.

Leave it on for about 5 minutes than rinse.

See how soft the entire horse is than..

I LOVE Cowboy Magic Detaingler.

Also when you bathe the horse use human conditioner on the mane and tail...dilute it with water some and leave it on.

Good luck and See you in a few days.
default_biggrin.png

Just have to say this--for those who use Show Sheen and Cowboy Magic detangler--both products contain silicone. Silicone will put a nice silky feel on the mane & tail but it also makes the hair brittle & more prone to breaking. It is not in any way a "conditioner". I used to use Show Sheen for combing out the manes & tails as it is a great detangler, but I never used it as a conditioner.

The Show Sheen "gel" is better than the regular show sheen--it still contains silicone I believe, but in a smaller ratio--and for combing out tangled mane & tail it is far superior to ordinary show sheen or cowboy magic.

I just use the cheap Suave human shampoo and conditioner for dry hair. It seems to work for me. The Olive Oil spray in the ethnic hair section does well also and you can use it on the body as well to give a shine in the ring.

Karen

Biotin is an excellent supplement for coat and hooves. I know that's what we have given our horses when their tails start breaking off or when they've been chewed off. Makes them nice and shiny all over
default_smile.png

I use Kelco Ultra Silk. It is actually a conditioner that I used when I was doing pet grooming. One gallon makes 65 gallons, so it's cheap to use. I usually don't dilute it that much. It also has UV protection, so it is good to use on the entire horse. Just spray it on and leave it!
default_yes.gif

Coconut milk..Buy it at walmart in the Asian food isle. I pay $1.06 a can .Shake the can real good..Put it on dry hair..I sometimes us a spray bottle..Soak the mane and tail,leave it in for at lease half an hour then rinse..When it dries it will look GORGEOUS...I got this from a girl where I work that uses this on her hair..My minis forelock was out of control to say the least..lol..It also detangles from the coconut oil in the milk..What I don't use I freeze.Put in ice trays till frozen, then bag it.And when you open the can it may have some clumps in the can..That's coconut oil that wasn't dissolved when you shook the can..Freeze that separatly. from the milk..Then you can use just the oil.It will melt in your hands..And by the way it's great for dry hands..The first time I used this everybody was amazed,one friend at the barn is now using it on HER hair and she is thrilled..And use Herbal Essence HELLO HYDRATION conditioner..It has coconut milk in it...I had used everything to tame his wild forelock and mane and this really works wonders..

Latest posts

Back