Some more Sweating Questions....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoeboxstables

Reaction score
Hi all!

So- I swear- these are the last sweat questions I will be asking (well- for a few days at least!!!). So. Right now, I have three sweats:

1- Neck Polarfleece with neoprene - 8"

http://minitack.com/lll6016.htm

2- Throatlatch Sweat - 4" (I can't remember if it's lined or unlined!
default_wacko.png
But I *think* it may be unlined)

Similar to: http://minitack.com/LLL0204.htm

3- Full Neck - Large, unlined neoprene sweat

Similar to: http://minitack.com/lll6019.htm

...and two horses. Both will need to be sweated for this upcoming show season. One, a 36.5" 3 y/o stallion, the other a 33.5" 10 y/o mare.

So, what sizes of sweats/types of sweats should I be looking to purchase? Should I be using a product or anything under the sweats? Do you have any recommendations for brands or qualities to look for while shopping?

I also would like advice for fitting the sweats. The mare has a long neck- both horizontally (shoulder to throatlatch) and vertically (bottom to crest). Her neck ties in low. When I put the sweat(s) on, I snug it up, but ensure that it's moveable. But when she puts her neck down to eat hay- the sweat hangs there- useless! I can't seem to get it to be snug while her head is down, without being WAY too tight while her head is up
default_wacko.png
What can I do for this??
default_wacko.png
default_unsure.png
Plus since her neck ties in low, it makes it VERY tough to find a sweat that fits her in the middle of the neck and also at the base.
default_wacko.png
What can I do there?? In the end- I gave up with her and only used it while working!

The stallion should be a bit better to fit- his neck ties in high, and is fat width-wise rather then up/down like the mare. I'm *hoping* this will mean he will be easier. Right??
default_unsure.png

Now, I understand that it's important not to leave an unlined sweat on a horse in a stall. Can I just attach some polar fleece to the unlined sweats? If so, is just one layer enough? And if I am using three sweats at once- which ones should be lined? All three? And what makes the neoprene too- strong?- to be used unlined?

And I think that's all. THANK YOU ALL SOO MUCH IN ADVANCE!!!
default_yes.gif
default_aktion033.gif

And just to give a visual- here's the mare.

diva1.jpg

And the stallion- who's neck flab has increased in size since this photo:

vic1.jpg

OH! Also- I plan on taking the advice presented on this forum, and clipping their necks before sweating. Now- if I remember correctly-they said I should put a hood on the horse while sweating to keep warm. What hood would you recommend? And how can I keep it from slipping over the withers when the horse puts their head down??? Again, do you have any product recommendations?

Last edited by a moderator:
I will do my best to help, although I am certainly no pro at sweating. Everyone seems to have their own techniques and not too many the same. I will tell you what I have seen from a couple of trainers and also my own experience.

Both trainers I know and worked with used one of the fleece/neoprene wraps 6" covered with a 3" sweat right at the throatlatch. While the head is UP, wrap fairly snugly. Not enough to make your horse pass out, for heck sake! But actually pretty darn snug. When your horse stands around with these wraps, he probably won't keep his head and neck up too far, because as he goes into a resting position, the wraps loosen to a comfortable degree. When they put their heads down to eat, they are going to get a little loose, there is no way around that that I know of anyway.

One person I know who lives in a dry climate leaves the sweats on 24 x 7, just taking them off and re-wrapping daily. I tried that here and I had the skin crud going before I knew it. Another very top trainer that I know leaves the sweats on EXCEPT when the horses are working. IF I sweat my horses here at home this year, which I probably will although I HATE it, I will probably use the latter because I didn't end up with skin problems. This area is way too wet to use the sweats the other way.

I really do hate doing the sweats. I think the horses get used to it, but it seems like it would be uncomfortable to me. Done correctly, it is just fine, just be careful because this is one of those things that I think people can really screw up!

I don't much sweat my horses, but I did buy a sweat that has a girth band (full neck sweat) to keep it from slipping forward.

A throatlatch sweat is about as much as I bother with. I am lucky in that most of my horses have good necks.

I think a regular outer hood should be fine for covering over the sweats. If you have two horses to sweat and show, I would think each horse would need their own full set of sweats, for each area you want to address.

All in all, make sure you check on it daily, depending on how long you leave it on. I burned my gelding's neck once, and it was a fleece-lined neoprene sweat. I felt really badly and it happened in an 8-hour stretch of time he was wearing it in the days right before a show.

Liz

Dont leave your neoprene sweat on all the time!

Well, this is just one trainers opinion, but here it goes.

I am in a very dry climate and we leave our sweats on 24/7. We take them off twice weekly, overnight to wash them.

We use a 6-8 inch wrap. This is the type of sweat that you wrap several times around your horses throat latch and upper neck area. We always place it on the horse with his head in the upright position. We wrap it snuggly and the final wrap, which is the neoprene we snug a little tighter. You should be able to place your hand between the sweat and your horses neck. But please note, it will be very snug. We then place a 2-3 inch throat latch sweat over the throat latch area. This keep the larger wrap in place and intensifies the sweat in that area. During work outs we do use the full neoprene neck sweats on some of the stallions. I have two types. The full neck and the full neck and shoulder. These I leave on during work outs and for about 20 minutes after to get the full effect. I do use belly sweats on some horses, but not often. These I do not leave on, but for about 20 minutes after a work out. I will sometimes bring them to the show and put them on overnight. After the horse shows I do not use them again.

I also have full neck sweats that are fully lined and are meant to leave on. I do use these at a show for those horses that have troublesome areas. But once they are back at home, I go back to the neoprene during workouts.

The best advise is to find a good reputable trainer in your area. Or when you are at a show find a good reputable trainer and see what they use and have them help you fit the sweat to your horse.

Always check your horse daily when you use a sweat. Make sure that it is clean of debris, shavings, hay, dirt etc. I have a brush specifically for my sweats to keep them clean between washings.

I never use glycerin or other products on my horses. I don't feel that they need them, if you use the sweats correctlly. And with as many different horses that we get in, it is too big of a risk for possible reactions to the products.

Of note, we also rinse our horses after a heavy work out. We also make sure that the bridle paths and area to be sweated is clipped close to get full effect. And also to keep the horse from getting sore in that area. You will also find that some horses are too sensitive to be able to wear the sweats for long periods of time. Those horses you will need to make adjustments for.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

We were looking into getting a sauna neck and shoulder sweat combo for one of our minis. I believe it it the type you put lotion underneath. Can anyone tell me how long you leave that on for and how you do it? I know it is not the overnight kind. Thanks for the help. We've never sweated the horses before.

I would not go with that, personally. Syndi gives good advice, and I just wouldn't do anything that could possibly burn your horse and I think that sauna might.

Hmm... this is very interesting. Thank you all for the help! I thought the Throatlatch sweat went under the neck sweat- so that's definatly good to know. And I guess the problem is that I just wasn't snugging it enough. Makes sense.

THANK YOU ALL! This is great advice!

Back