Grazing muzzle

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I took the horses for their dental appt yesterday and the vet reiterated his concern for Midnight's weight. Since I have been unsuccessful at getting her weight down satisfactorily, I suppose I must try the grazing muzzle.
Searching the topics, I see the tough 1 Easy breathe V to be recommended. Since Midnight's head/muzzle are so small I'm planning to try the mini A size. Munchkin uses one and his owner said it took him two or three days to figure out how to use it.
What say those of you who use one? Is that brand a good option?

The one I purchased is a Tough 1 (but not the v style.)

I say go for the one they are all recommending. It will be so much better for her and give you such piece of mind. My mare puts her nose in it gladly because she knows it means grazing.

I've used the easy breath ones on my minis. I have one that is the V style. I had to modify it a bit to get it to fit. Rock E has a short wide face and the V part wasn't long enough. I made a longer V strap with soft ultra suede and that did the job. He can't rub it off and it slowed his consumption down.
You're handy with a sewing machine, it should be easy job for you :) .

I purchased two to try when I got mine. The regular mini sized Tough 1 didn't adjust down as well as the easy breathe V one. It might have worked but the snap was sewn in to open to the outside, so it got caught on the fence and thankfully came off. So he only wore that one briefly. Then I tried the V one and we haven't had any issues except having to vet wrap the metal adjustment piece because it sits right behind an ear. No snaps, it uses velcro. You'll have to clean the velcro occasionally. I also like the easy breathe feature, I feel it has to be more comfortable.

Do not get a basket too small in diameter. It will cause rubs. Needs to be large enough that they can open their mouth normally to eat.

Last edited:
Do you think a grazing muzzle would work with the Hay Pillows?
Since I can't really take him out for exercise yet I'm looking for a way to cut down on the amount he eats without depriving Farah too much.

(Apologies if I'm hijacking the thread 😟....I didn't think the question warranted a whole new thread ;))

Is he used to using a grazing muzzle? If not just the muzzle will slow him way down on loose hay but will probably frustrate him badly with a net or pillow. He would need some help figuring out he can eat hay with it on if he hasn't used one on grass. I know two horses who are so good with a slow feed net they are fed the net in a hay manger with grazing muzzles on to keep them slowed down. Can you work him in the paddock?

I ordered the grazing muzzle. Many of my usual ordering places were out of stock. I finally found one at horselovers.com
Well, Midnight, looks as though you are in for a new learning experience...
Marsha ~ Glad you were able to find one! I held a treat under the hole the first couple of times I put Annie's on so she would have a positive association. Then because she never goes out to pasture without it she wants it on!

Muzzle arrived. Oh dear. Not sure i can do this. I got the smallest one. Ill try it tomorrow to see if it fits her.

Marsha, You can do it!!!
First time I tried to load a video. Not sure if it worked. Annie running out for the day with her muzzle.

Attachments

• 20210909_142437.mp4
    34.6 MB
Last edited:
As much as I hate making DJ wear a muzzle, I think he prefers it to being stalled or on a dry lot all the time. He is an eating machine. I have never owned one so dedicated to eating as he is, and I've owned some piggies. When I turn him out, there is no running, that head goes down at the first bit of grass he encounters.
His paddock is mostly weeds, but he finds every blade of grass amongst them.

I had the hardest time using a muzzle the first time too. I put it on, he went out put his head down, picked it up with a what the #### look, put it down again and had it figured out in 20min. Once they are used to them they don't mind, I promise. Once you have it on her give her a few treats through the hole in the bottom so she will understand she can get grass through there.

I haven't tried it yet. The wind has been ferocious the last few days, and also the dang thing smells so new and rubbery I want to air it out for a while. It's going to take some tweaking to get it the right size, also. I got the smallest one, but it seems way too large. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the encouragement.

My welsh pony didn't care one bit about his muzzle. I practiced putting it on a few times by holding a carrot up through the hole. I was concerned if I just went and put it on he might get claustrophobic, so I did in stages and with bribes and he was fine. The concern was more mine than his. I have the "Easy-Breath "one that I pad with the fleece covers you can get and he's comfortable.

I just tossed muzzles on my 3 and put them out earlier today.
They were so happy to go out again!

Make sure to train yours how to eat with it on. Mow grass short, shove bits through the hole. Watch to make sure they have figured it out before leaving it on full time.

Mine have figured out how to eat the tall grass through it, too.

Screenshot_20211030-191756_Video Player.jpgScreenshot_20211030-191820_Video Player.jpgScreenshot_20211030-191836_Video Player.jpgScreenshot_20211030-191856_Video Player.jpg

Reactions: Taz
Finally had a had a chance to try the muzzle on her. It was way too large. After shortening everything as much as I could, her little nose was lost in the muzzle part and the straps were on her eyes. I pulled it off without even taking the velcro loose. It was the smallest one made by Tough 1. Maybe one that attaches to a halter would work. Any suggestions?

Latest posts

Back