So who now owns Zorro for

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow..this thread sure did turn into an interesting one. I posted because I was really curious where this horse went. I didn't know if he was still here in the USA or somewhere else.

I have always loved "Zorro", the minute I saw a pic of him I fell in love. What I don't particularly like in all of this is the fact that the $$ amount (of supposed value) was marketed this way. It reminds me of what transpired back in the 80s in the arabian world where horses were marketed this way on paper only and the prices went through the roof. Of couse the "inflated" prices in that market at the time, well eventually they came crashing down and alot of people were left with lots of very beautiful horses but their value came down to more "reasonable" lets say amounts. Alot of arabian owners still talk about the "haydays of the 80s" and I believe there are quite a few books and articles about it. It was the era of glitz and glam and BIG money. Now I don't mean to say this is what is going to happen here because of only 1 horse but I am always worried that this breed, minis, are truly going down that route. We have those breeding for the "arabian type mini" and each year they get more slender, longer necks, etc. etc. More people are breeding to shetlands in order to get more action. It sure reminds me of what is happening in the arabian world as we speak. SCARY. In a few years we won't recognize our breed... Sorry went off on a tangent there but the high $$ thing is what got me going in that direction.

Congratulation to Zorro's new owner you have a VERY special horse there
yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember just a few years back when the gelding sold for $44,000 and how everyone crowed and hollered how geldings were going to be the next hot ticket. I know some say how their geldings sell better but by the large I have not seen where geldings have made a huge leap forward. There still are National Champion Titled geldings for sale cheap.

Same as with Zorro, gorgeous horse, but he can't pull the rest of the industry up by his bootstraps. His sire sold for $$$$ wwwaaayyy back when and still we do not see those prices as the "norm".

The reason the ad turns me off is because it seems like trying to "buy" respect. If one does not like Zorro for his conformation, titles, get, pedigree and color do you really need to win them over? Do you want people who are only impressed with money? In the big horse world I HATE the pitch when I go to look at a horse about "Well his sire sold for XX or His sire's stud fee is XX".

It boils down to whether or not you like the horse.

OK - I've kept my mouth shut for a while now, but seeing some of these posts makes my blood boil.

The fact that the ad posted the prices did what it was intended to do - brought attention to a great stallion. All of the other back-biting comments are just SOUR GRAPES. Geez, there is nothing worse than a jealous person...talk about vicious! And honestly, what went on behind the scenes is no one's dad-gum business!! And sitting here and guessing and spreading rumors and inuendos is about tantamount to what Mary Lou recently went through. SHAME ON YOU WHO ARE SPREADING RUMORS! The ad posted the price. That's all anyone needs to know and quite frankly, I don't give a rat's behind on what lead to Jonathan's decision to buy out the partnership!!!

I had the opportunity to visit with the Whitt family briefly at Fort Worth the other day. Jonathan and his father are truly gracious hosts and wonderful, GENUINELY NICE people. There is nothing fake about them. They do not put on airs. They are the kind of people you would like to call "friend."

And I had the opportunity to see both Zorro and Good Deed up close...Mr. Whitt took great pleasure in showing us one of the idiosyncracies of Good Deed...that boy is very discriminating when it comes to treats--Pepsi products only!!!

Congrats to the Whitt's on their purchase and best wishes to them in the future.

JeanB mentioned Scouts Good Deed--now THAT is a horse I like!

I figure that any time someone publishes a "different" sort of ad, be it like this one with an extremely high price being given, or an attention grabber picture like the one used by Lucky Hart a couple of issues ago (remember how some here suggested that Tara was wearing a "hooker outfit"
laugh.gif
--to me that was as rude a thing to say as anything I've seen here...more rude in fact....but no one else seemed bothered by it.) Anyway, any time someone publishes an ad like this, they have to know that there's going to be "talk"...some will wonder how that "value" was ever arrived at, some will think the horse was worth it, some will think the horse wasn't worth it, some will say if he's got the money & wishes to pay that much then great for him, while others will say anyone is nuts to pay that for a horse, any horse.

Sour grapes, Jean? Hardly that; I'm another that could care less about Zorro--that's simply not the sort of horse that I go for. Give me a Michigan or Establo horse instead. But ya, I do still like Good Deed!

Edited to add: As usual, it's a good thing that we don't all go for the same thing in horses (or anything else!). There'd be a small bunch of Minis that would be valued at a million or so dollars, and all the rest would be worth nothing!
new_shocked.gif

WHOA Jean B.
new_shocked.gif
Sour grapes????? I believe most of us, if not ALL of us posted here that the horse was gorgeous. You feel it's sour grapes????? or perhaps just people expressing their opinions with regards to the disclosure on the ad that stated what the animals sold for. I still stand by my opinion that it's purely for marketing purposes and I still believe, without taking anything away from his new owner, that it reminds me of what transpired with arabians back in the 80s. I have seen this kind of marketing before and many of us who own arabians and were around in the 80s will also recall it. Never said anything was wrong with it so please don't jump all over some of us here for posting our thoughts. My thoughts were not nasty or "sour grapes" in anyway and I am sorry if you felt the posts here are.

My thoughts are for sure not sour grapes!

I think highly of Jonathan and stated so!

I also know myself and know that for being a pretty frugal person in general, when it comes to horses I love, I will often spend money that I would not have spent on anything else! Like I said before, if money were no object I can only imagine what I might spend on a horse if I really wanted it!!

And I am happy for him!!

Susan O.

I have to agree Sour grapes no way. Now from the beginning of this thread I had said Obviously Mr Whitt knew what he was doing and what he expected out of this investment but come on... to post an add with the price of a horse 4 different times in his life the sole reason for that is to get people talking, wondering if the money exchanged was actual or on paper, discussing his value or the value of any miniature horse for that amount of money.

It isnt about gossip it is about discussing or for lack of a better term taking the bait they have put there for everyone to see and run with

shminifancier said:
$400,000  That is when 2 fools met
new_shocked.gif

480753[/snapback]

YEP! It wasn't real money I'm sure!

minicount said:
I remember just a few years back when the gelding sold for $44,000 and how everyone crowed and hollered how geldings were going to be the next hot ticket.

I think that price was 22K and not 44,000. Still a lot of money in any case.

But he was/is a *H------of a horse!

B

Yes and what went on behind the scenes we do not know. But I would think there is some trading, some kind of negotiations going on . Just like some of the real high priced Arabians of years past. Many things went on behind the lights and cameras that people were not aware of.. Not many of these kind of deals are cash upfront.. Besides at that price there is no way the person/persons get a return on that kind of an investment, no way..So this is as much of a publicity stunt as lots of the Arabians were.

mizbeth said:
shminifancier said:
$400,000  That is when 2 fools met
new_shocked.gif

480753[/snapback]

YEP! It wasn't real money I'm sure!

481508[/snapback]

Hmmmm... if anyone was discussing the business dealings of some of those who have posted here in a snide manner - or commented about THEIR horses in the same way - there would be heck to pay. But it appears it is perfectly acceptable for them to sneer at others....

Marketing or whatever - there are some comments in this thread that are totally uncalled for...

no.gif

In regards to the ad from "George's" farm where the daughter was pictured in what some would call a skimpy outfit.....

I thought that ad was great! If I had a figure like that I'd show it off too!!!!

I think that any ad which strays from the same old boring content is terrific. Aren't you sick of the same old formats and wordings? I am!

However I don't think anyone here has sour grapes or jealousy over the purchase of Zorro. People by nature are going to talk and discuss their opinions on all sides. If nothing negative or opposing were allowed to be said then it would be a boring world.

I don't consider the discussions as malicious gossip when the ads were made public

intentionally....

BUT if this discussion were taking place with no publicized ad being the centerpiece of discussion, THEN the content would be considered speculation, heresay, rumor....

Shelley said:
but what I'D like to know is where they got those gorgous arab outfits he's wearing in his pics!  Wowsa!!! 
Shelley

480742[/snapback]

I have no idea where those came from but here is a link to a site that makes similar ones. If you scroll down the page there is a section for Minis.

They are kind of pricey, but when you pay that price for a horse, whats another $1000 for the wrapping?

http://www.costumesbycarolyn.com/

I think its great that Mr.Whitt now has full ownership in a horse that he loves.

Lets do some math here.

IF Mr.Whitt owned 50% of Zorro prior to the sale then.

$200,000 went to Mr. Whitt at the sale.

The other partner/partners got $200,000 from the sale.

So in reality Mr.Whitt paid the partners the $200,000 that he would have received if he had not been the buyer.

Robin

You know I just returned from Worlds, and saw this post, read it, went on, then had to come back...

Gossip is nasty and rude, and espically in this case where emotions were high and it just being an all around Nasty situation!

Many of you are Very right, there was Alot more going on here then meets the eye, and the Witts almost got the short end of the stick.

They are wondeful kind people, who fourtunatly have the money to be able to pursue horses and showing in a beautiful way. (You should have Seen their display in Moncref!!!)

For those of you that were not at Worlds, at the sale alone, Zorro's two foals sold for A Huge sum of money, and they were Beautiful, quality horses, and the prices were Not hype, they were real, with real people.

The Witts, as many have said, are Wonderful people and very kind and generous who would just do anything for you if they could! The ad did what it was supposed to, it caused all of you to talk about this wonderful horse! And if you think his costume looked good on him in the pictures, you should have seen it on him in Person, in the youth costume! He looked exactly like a true Arab in miniature!!

I'm all about the publicity, I think he's a beautiful horse, (Zorro), and I'm happy that Johnathan owns him as he obviously is very devoted to him.

Liz M.

I have to disagree with those who thought that the ad was "tacky". I think that it was a masterful promotional piece, not only for the breeders, purchaser, but most of all for the industry. During the introductions at the World Show Sale, Don Burdett, who is a master of marketing and promotion, in my opinion, referenced the ad, pointing out that the market for miniatures is good and a good investment. He cleared it with both the people of Little King and JSW before he talked about it. As far as the auction where he was sold, it was a public auction as was stated earlier and I know of another individual who was the runner-up bidder and actually bid $350,000. So, it was NOT a fake sale, at all.

Robin1 said:
I think its great that Mr.Whitt now has full ownership in a horse that he loves.
Lets do some math here.

IF Mr.Whitt owned 50% of Zorro prior to the sale then.

$200,000 went to Mr. Whitt at the sale.

The other partner/partners got $200,000 from the sale.

So in reality Mr.Whitt paid the partners the $200,000 that he would have received if he had not been  the buyer.

Robin

481651[/snapback]

the % of ownership i heard was about 90% maybe a little more and yes that is what happens so also john E. made out too.

Latest posts

Back