So who now owns Zorro for

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carolyn's right. A horse is worth what it sells for, and I don't really feel it's all that bad taste to advertise what he sold for. Granted, there were different circumstances, but I think most of us know there usually are (partnerships, etc.).

That auctioneer at the World Sale said it very succinctly: Your stallion is half your breeding program. (or something like it)

So if your mares are 4-6k a piece (I'm talking fairly average, good quality mares w/decent pedigrees and correct build), and you have four or five of them...a $20,000 stallion doesn't seem all that "out there"?

I would guess that Zorro's harem is more like $10,000 each for a low guess, though I know there are girls with higher selling values in there, and not sure how many of them there are, but even 40 of them puts him right where he should be for worth. Just one way of looking at it.

Everyone has their own taste in horses, and even the biggest winner/seller may not float your boat, and so that is the beauty in the world, to each his own.

smile.gif

Liz M.

new_shocked.gif
ohmy.gif
517.gif
flirt.gif
frusty.gif
giveup.gif
please.gif

Ok seriously, very nice horse, very nice farm...but that is a ridiculous amt of $$.

Would someone figure to "sell the foals" at a HUGE price because of this amt? Just how many foals can one stallion make to recoup that type of $$$?

Just seems like this "not" going to help the miniature horse industry by advertising that amt of sale. If anything it would scare me off from even considering a purchase there.

JMHO and if someone can clarify it for me please do. Keep in mind I do not show and have never paid more than $5000 for ANY horse. Nor would I.

Frankie said:
Overestimated?????????  You can over estimate my horse ANY time at that Price! Some people can't believe he sold for that. Butttttttttttttttttt,,,,,,,,,if they walked onto your lot and offered you that dollar amount for one of yours,  you'd say NO!
new_shocked.gif
To me, he is worth what he was sold for, and you can't argue that, because to pay that price, the new owner thought he was worth that.
biggrin.gif

Personally, I like him a lot. Saw him drive twice last year, I know nothing of driving, but I sure did like what I saw.
wub.gif

480688[/snapback]

I'm not trying to start an argument, but if someone walked onto my lot and offered my 400,000 for any horse, I wouldn't give it away, because I would know that the expectations that the potential buyer has in the horse will never be met. Usually, as a buyer, you see a horse once or twice, maybe for a few hours, and then you decide that you're going to invest that amount of money? No way, sorry!

But, as I said, everyone needs to decide for themselves. In this case it may be a bit different, because Whitt had already owned a "part" of Zorro. Still, in my opinion, 400,000 is just too much. Especially keeping in mind that before that the highest price ever paid for a miniature was at around 150,000, it may seem to someone that is not involved that the figure 400,000 may have been picked for promotion purposes.

But I'll shut up now, as I said, I'm obviously in the minority here and I don't want to spoil a great topic about a great horse!

saludando.gif
Carina

He is a nice horse and I thought so before he had any "titles" BUT I don’t' think any different of him today then I did before I knew what he sold for. He didn't buy my admiration.

Is he worth it? Well he was to someone now wasn't he?

There are those that will pay more for a horse if they know what his sire/dam sold for, an obvious indication that they hit their head when they fell off the turnip truck.

Zorro is gorgeous although I think the ad is tacky.

Which issue is this ad in? I have not actually noticed the ad. Or, can someone PM me and fill me in on what some people are finding to be in bad taste about the ad?

Zorro's a pretty darned handsome guy, but what I'D like to know is where they got those gorgous arab outfits he's wearing in his pics! Wowsa!!!

Shelley

I had a thought, something we say alot around here....a horse is worth as much as someone will pay for it or you would pay for it yourself. I still hold with that being wayyy to much.

justjinx said:
Liz, thanks for the link.  He's beautiful, but.....$400,000?    jennifer 
saludando.gif

480661[/snapback]

I agree, he is an okay(well, not just okay, but really GORGEOUS), but $400,000.00 That is CRAZY! could you IMAGINE the barn you could buy (even though he probably allready has it!)

Thats almost a half of million dollars, holy moly! What if he died the very first day they got him? Or he broke a leg, or got some desease(SP)? My freinds brother had a milion dollar stud and got electicuted(SP) but the power company had to pay it, I bet her brother was having some heart burn when he found him dead! I really think there are nicer horses out there than him, maybe very few, maybe its his color that is not apeeling to me, but IMO I like other horses diferent that what JSW likes I gues! I like some horses better that have sold, or are for sale for $1000.00! that is CRAZY!

But If it were me, and I had that money, I cant imagine the horses I would go out and buy, but never would I spend THAT much money on 1 horse, I would rather go out, and buy me a heard of NICE horses, instead of paying huge amounts of money on one horse. I like horses dearly, but WHY would you want to pay that much for 1 single horse????

JMHO!

this is just my opinion, JSW has his rights, and I am not critisizing(SP) for his choice! but if it were me that is my way I would do it ^^^^(what I wrote above) I am happy for JSW that he can go do that, and if he likes him, thats GREAT for him:) CONGRATS!

What add are you guys talking about? What page?

-Gage-

Last edited by a moderator:
What is it that is not tasteful about the ad? I'm nosey!!!

My most recent copies of The Journal and The World are at my office and I'm not nosey enough to drive 100 miles round trip
laugh.gif

Believe me, that horse is insured to the hilt. If he died the next day, the only ones hurting would be the insurance companies.

Sorry, I'm just not getting why what he brought is such an issue?

As far as a nice herd, Whitt already has them, barn well he has that too.
wink.gif

I guess if both parties are okay with the price being published, it's not really what I'd call tacky. It's an attention getter anyway, and that's what advertising is all about. (Of course I don't know the story behind the $400,000.00, but then I know of a lot of other horses that were somehow "worth" more than the actual cash spent to buy them...figure in a few trades & voila, very high priced horses.)

The only thing I don't like about published prices, you go & buy a horse for $80000.00 at a sale, the sale prices are published, & then your high priced horse bombs out in the showring, some people find it highly amusing--it offers some people a good sales pitch too, because "my horse beat that one that they paid $80000.00 for". Or in this case someone may say "My colt beat that colt, & that one's sire sold for $400000.00"

Ya, personally I don't see most horses as being worth that kind of money, & if I had that amount that had to be spent on a horse that's not the horse I'd buy with it, but that's just me. But ya, I'd now think twice about inquiring on a foal from JSW.

Why would you think twice about purchasing a foal from JSW? Feel the stallion is overhyped and foals perhaps overpriced? Just curious, no flames.

By the way, auction prices are a matter of public record in the Thoroughbred world, where most of them are sold. You can pull an auction report on any registered TB to see what he/she has passed through the ring at. In some cases, they have been auctioned a number of times, especially broodmares.

I have not seen the "fine" details in the sales contract on this loong thread.

Would somebody out there have 2 $50,000. mares to trade for my $100,000. stallion????? He is unproven at this point, so the mares can also be unproven....

Hmmm well to be honest I wouldnt say he isnt worth it.. Come on now this guy had partial ownership and isnt a fool(not a nice thing to say by the way) He knows what they are getting for stud fee and for proven foals in the show ring and such.

I am sure he was well aware what it is he was paying for and how good of an investment it was for him.

now would I spend that kinda money on a horse maybe.. if I had it well no not maybe I can think of lots of large horses that if I had that type of money I would drop in a heartbeat.

Gosh, I sure don't know the story behind the sale, and wouldn't impose to ask, but being that his "now" owner, was "then" a part owner, just wondered if maybe "Sentimental Value" was somehow in the mix?

I know that's something that even I have very hard time putting down in any figure on any of my horses. That's why I'm always asking for advice in helping me in that department, LOL. I've posted to each what I've been advised (so far) to have, and I know much the same response must what some think of mine too. Although, not near as the same ballpark figuratively.
biggrin.gif
I could only wish.
wub.gif

But, anyways....I think what little I do know of Zorro, primarily from gazing at pics of him now and then...I do think he is one awesome horse!
wub.gif

minicount said:
Sorry, I'm just not getting why what he brought is such an issue? 
As far as a nice herd, Whitt already has them, barn well he has that too.
wink.gif

480767[/snapback]

oh, then thats a good reason to go buy a $200000.00 horse, and only own half of him!

-Gage-

$400,000  That is when 2 fools met
No, the seller would only be a fool if he/she turned that sum down...

But here's another question...

How many peple were in the partnership? The buyer is also one of the sellers, so if there were only two in the partnership he would be getting half of his money back, right? The $400,000 would only be on paper, not hard, cold cash. His investment is $200,000 plus his share of whatever they paid for him in the first place.

The real estate comparison is quite apt...a lot of the appreciation in value is strictly on paper and represents what someone has deemed the property to be worth at this time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back