Snow white filly ~ patch ~ blue eyes ~

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nancy G

Reaction score
We have a new little filly. She is white as snow with a small palomino patch on her chest and what looks like a little sorrel star on top of her forehead. She has blue eyes. Her sire is a sorrel tovero & carries the frame overo gene and her dam is a palomino tovero with blue eyes. Would she be a maximum expression tovero? Not even sure there is such a color.
default_unsure.png
:

I`m not able to post a picture but you can see her at, http://home.earthlink.net/~ggmini2/id9.html

Thanks

Waiting to hear from you color experts :lol:

I'd call her a max expressed splash tovero... But I'm sure the "experts" will call her something else...

Either way she's a cutie and can't wait to see more pics! Don't envy you at all on having to keep all that white clean!
default_wacko.png
: :bgrin lol

Here she is Nancy....but I have to say WOW! She's gorgeous! as are the other fillies! What a nice year for you! I have no idea of the pattern..but she is so pretty...I do love
default_wub.png
: the white ones!

dovba.jpg

Wow she is a looker. :aktion033: I love her.
default_wub.png
: cjmm

OK another plea to stop using terms like Tovero and overo- they are pointless and no use whatsoever when trying to identify patterns!!

Dada is a Sabino/Tobiano and Mama is a Splash/Tobiano (I am presuming BOTH have been tested for LWO?? and are negative??)

Foal is Max expression mixed pattern- most likely to have all three Tobiano/Sabino (hence the chest shield) and Splash.

If the parents are not tested now is a good time to thank your guardian angels and have the foal tested!!!

OK another plea to stop using terms like Tovero and overo- they are pointless and no use whatsoever when trying to identify patterns!!

Dada is a Sabino/Tobiano and Mama is a Splash/Tobiano (I am presuming BOTH have been tested for LWO?? and are negative??)

Foal is Max expression mixed pattern- most likely to have all three Tobiano/Sabino (hence the chest shield) and Splash.

If the parents are not tested now is a good time to thank your guardian angels and have the foal tested!!!
Nancy did mention in her post that the sire carried the Frame Overo gene.
default_yes.gif
: But has the dam been tested? I would hope so, being bred to a sire who has tested positive for it.

But, yes, the Foal is a combination of patterns....and the only way to know for sure what it carries, is to have it tested for Tobiano and LWO. You could test for Sabino, but that is not going to tell you much except whether she carries ONE of the many Sabino genes. There are many Sabino genes...and the test will only identify one of them. There is no test for Splash yet....but I think that one's a "given".
default_yes.gif
: I think you would be safe in calling your new baby a "Max Expressed Tovero".
default_yes.gif
:

Jane....I know you don't like that "term", and that it's not genetically specific. It's just a quicker way to "loosely" identify a horse's pinto patterns. (as opposed to "a mostly white horse carrying the LW gene, Splash gene, Tobiano gene, and possibly Sabino.")
default_wink.png
:

Yes Donna. The mare has been tested and is negative.
default_yes.gif
: And the term you use, "Max Expressed Tovero". Seems to fit her. That`s what I was thinking. I will have her tested for LWO.

rabbitsfizz (Dada is a Sabino/Tobiano and Mama is a Splash/Tobiano (I am presuming BOTH have been tested for LWO?? and are negative??) When you test for LWO, that is Lethal White Overo Gene ~ right? So the lab uses the term frame overo carrier. Many color sites too, use the term Tovero and Overo. And that`s where most of us get a lot of our information.

Thanks for the replies and compliments, she is a LM Hawks Jesse James daughter. Jesse does carry the lwo gene. Thanks

Nancy come to Equine Color- we are on a mission to stamp out misleading terms!!!
default_smile.png

It is only our opinion I know but the term "overo" tells you nothing of the animals colour or it's pattern, whereas "Sabino/Tobiano does tell you roughly what to expect - face white for a start!!

Whatever the pattern it is a lovely, healthy foal- what more could you possibly ask???
default_yes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back