Snow packed hooves

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We're having an arctic blast here. So cold the snow won't melt. It's supposed to stay this way all week. My horses all have snow packed hooves. I tried picking out their feet today but didn't have much luck. Is it a problem?

Put a handful of stones in your shoes and try walking, thats what they feel
default_sad.png

Try bringing a hair dryer outside and melting all the ice in the hoovies, then spray 'Pam' on them, it helps prevent the build up of snowballs.

I've been asking myself this same qeustion ... thanks for asking and what a great idea Ill have to try that

Put a handful of stones in your shoes and try walking, thats what they feel
default_sad.png

Try bringing a hair dryer outside and melting all the ice in the hoovies, then spray 'Pam' on them, it helps prevent the build up of snowballs.

You can try using Pam cooking spray on the feet. It only works for a little while. I know how you feel I look at my horses and saw gosh that looks uncomfortable.

It would probably be like us trying to walk around in the snow with high heels on.

I can't buy Pam here in Italy but I use Vaseline brushed on their hooves before I put them out and it works quite well. I also prepare a bucket of warm water and when I bring them in I dip each foot in quickly and this removes any unwanted snow.

It helps to keep the hooves trimmed. Long hooves collect snow more. And then generally the snow will come out during feeding time. The heat of digestion helps to release the snow. Many times the horses will come in the barn with snow in their hooves, and by the time they go out after they have had some hay and feed, the snowballs have dropped out.

Yes, it's a problem. They slip like crazy when they're walking on balls of ice!
default_new_shocked.gif
Pick those snowballs out of there, spray the hooves with cooking oil or apply vaseline and repeat the cycle frequently. I'm sure trimming can help but I don't know if that's because freshly pared sole sheds the snow better or because the hooves aren't cupped as deeply or what. I don't notice any improvement after trimming my guys but that may be because the hoof is just as deeply cupped when I'm done. I don't know! It's something I should ask my farrier.

RhineStone said:
The heat of digestion helps to release the snow. Many times the horses will come in the barn with snow in their hooves, and by the time they go out after they have had some hay and feed, the snowballs have dropped out.
I would have thought that had more to do with the warmth of the barn, the bedding under their hooves and walking around on a surface other than snow. My boys lose the snowballs in their stalls whether they're eating or not and keep them outside even if given a pile of hay.

Leia

However, I've seen the remnants of dropped out snowballs in the paddock, too. I doubt it has anything to do with the warm barn as our barn isn't heated, and it still can be way below freezing in there. The surface other than snow probably helps. They will lose them in the lean-to that can be covered in snow, but not as deep.

Yes, you can pick them out, but I sure don't feel guilty if I don't (we don't get a lot of ice, mostly snow). They will lose them during feed time whether the horses are are in or out.

Latest posts

Back