SmartPak Equine

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quaters

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experiance using SmartPak Equine?

Several friends and myself have been wondering if they do well with measuring out with miniature horse supplements (viatmins, strongid, etc.). It looks like they are rather convient. And it would be a life saver so that I wouldn't have to worry about my fiance accidently overdosing the horses, or worry about having to measure everything out ahead of time.

http://www.smartpakequine.com

I currently use them and have absolutely no complaints. Customer service has been excellent and I don't have to remember to purchase a product on-line as I am running out. They deliver a monthly supply to me via UPS (cannot get the product in a local store) and withdraw payment from my checking account on an auto-pay system. The supplement is quite expensive and available in bulk only. Using Smart Paks allows me to buy only what I need, PAY for only what I need on a monthly basis, plus I am assured of freshness, since I get a new, sealed supply every 30 days. If you break it down penny by penny, it may actually be a little more expensive purchasing through Smart Pak than buying a giant bag of it all at one time. However, I can afford $10 per month vs. $100+ and any shipping cost for a larger container of the product which would take me FOREVER to use up.

The customer service team is very helpful with figuring the dose of products for miniatures and packages it accordingly. The packaging itself is recyclable, so there is no waste.

For this particular supplement, it's a win-win for me. IF I was feeding it to all my horses, however, it would probably be more cost effective to purchase the product in bulk.

Robin C

They are WONDERFUL conviences. Unfortinately they can be very expensive.
default_sad.png
My big horse gets some very basic suppliments:

Biotin Plus for his hooves

Missing Link for vitamins and coat

Sand Clear for sand colic prevention

Electrolytes to combat "colic season"

To buy in bulk and dose it out myself costs me this much less, per 28 day month, respectively:

$8.83

$1.04

$16.40

$3.73

Total, per month, it would cost me $30 more to buy smartpaks. Plus shipping, of $6.95/mo. Contrast that with extra shipping and making up my own suppliment baggies per month, and unfortinately SmartPak is out of reach.
default_sad.png
I may have to bite the bullet and buy them anyways soon, but its just so much more expensive I can't make it work.

I think it depends on your numbers. We used the service for a big mare we were boarding, and it was well worth what little more it cost to know that the barn help was feeding the right amounts. To use it at home for me would not be cost effective, unless it was something particular to just a horse or two. In a boarding situation, it's a lifesaver.

Jan

I've used them for everything and they are wonderful! They even send me my peppermints! Big horses, and Minis. I needed Gastrogard the other day and it was here PRONTO! Now when I call for a change or additional horse, they ask me if it is a mini or big horse! They have even gotten in products I need that they did not carry before!

VERY willing to help and work with you! 10 plus rating!

I just placed an order with them yesterday for my big horse, and mini supplements. I think it will be alot easier than having 3 containers for them. Hubby said about time, it is a little more but well worth it to me.

I have to say the CS person was wonderful. There was a fire alarm going off in the backround and she still stayed on the phone (said she would go down with the ship) everyone else was outside. I have bought other items from them and have been very happy.

:aktion033:

Thank you all for letting me know your opinion on them. I only have 3 horses at the moment (draft cross, 2 minis) and I am planning on getting a few more after the first of the year. So, the main thing with this is going to be how cost efficient it will be...

I e-mailed them this morning after reading a few of the responses that I've received about them. Customer Service replied rather fast to my amazement...And so far, for one of my horses alone (5 yr old draft cross) it seems like it would be a little more cost efficient. I am still waiting for a response as to what it will cost for the other 2 horses (mini). The electrolyte that I use is not carried by them. And they are checking on it to see what it will cost and then will let me know for the rest of it.

All of my horses are currently on the same supplements:

Strongid CX2

Cooper's Best- Cherry Electrolyte

Source

Nu-Image

It does make it easy since they are all getting the same thing. But, one of the horses that I am planning on getting after the 1st is on all of the same things, except the Nu-Image, and is also on 2 additional supplements. So I am going to have to factor that horse in also since I would not be placing an order until after the 1st.

Right now it does seem like a pretty good thing. But, I am still going to have to wait and see what the final cost will be. If it comes out to where I at least break even I'm going to give them a try. If not it is going to be back to writing names on baggies and pre measuring everything incase someone else feeds instead of me, lol

We use Smartpak for our thoroughbred's supplements. Excellent customer service and products. He gets a daily wormer, and twice a year at the appropriate time, they ship out a tube of ivermectin. Very convenient, and I don't have to keep track of when to purchase it. That price is included in the monthly cost. For us, it's a case of the convenience being worth the slight extra cost. If my mini needed supplements, I'd opt for smartpaks. (If anyone is wondering, the mini had a reaction to the daily wormer, so he gets paste wormed on a regular basis)

I've thought about Smart-Paks in the past, but didn't get any, now I'm tempted again. With each horse getting at least one thing different from the others and the small amounts fed to minis, I may consider trying. It takes forever to use a supplement in a tub when only one mini gets a particular supplement. I'm only half-way through a tub of one supplement, and two minis have been on it for 2 or maybe 3 months (could be longer, I don't remember when I bought it); sure would keep things fresh to go with Smart-paks. Oh, and I have a senior half-Arab gelding that could stand to get some joint supplement; so, maybe when I finish up with that long-lasting tub, I'll give it try.

We use them and they are awesome! Great customer service, lots of choice and a helpful staff in case you have questions! It is worth the expense!!! :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

Denise

Silversong Farm

Back