slow shedding normal?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sayyadina

Reaction score
Is it normal for minis to shed out slower than larger horses? My 29 year old pony always sheds out way before my minis do. She's almost done now. The minis are shedding a little, but not a lot. I can get a handful out before it stops coming. I always wind up clipping them, since they get hot with all that hair. I've had them both since they were 2 and 3 (now 5 and 6).

I think it's normal. My Arab mix is already done shedding, and the minis are just starting to really shed. My filly wasn't done shedding until August last year, and then her winter coat started growing back right away. The mare sheds out faster, though (maybe done in June?)

Yes, it's been my experience that minis are always far slower to shed their winter coats than ponies and big horses. And they just nicely lose their winter hair and they start growing it back in before the other horses do as well!

I agree. It's normal and ours here don't fully shed out until well into summer.

Thanks everyone.
default_smile.png

Is it normal for minis to be difficult to bathe? Mine are little hairy dust balls right now. They also completely freak out when I turn a hose on. Even if I'm not anywhere near them.

Like with any other horse, they must be taught to accept it. Start slowly with a light spray on their front feet. As they relax, work up a little higher. Keep moving slowly, but make sure they are accepting it (relaxing) each new place before you move on further.

Unfortunately, just turning on the hose results in a major freak out. Even if I'm not anywhere near them with it. If I'm giving my big horse a bath, the minis run away to the farthest they can be and watch me. If the hose is off and just sitting on the ground, they'll come up to investigate. My youngest mini will touch the hose if its off.

I tried working with her today. Mini on lead with hose turned on/off quick wound up with mini running to end of line and rearing. Gave her a minute to calm down. Had her touch the hose, gave her a treat. Same thing. Hose on & away from mini = freaked out mini. We ended with walking towards the hose, touching it, getting a treat...then 5 minutes of very basic stuff she's good at (leading from both sides & halting).

I've had them for 4 years now, and they've seen me bathe my big horse many times. She seems to be the leader of this little herd.

I kinda can't physically work the minis through this, since I have a bad hand. Old injury, ~50% strength. And I've only worked with the easier mini. I wish my vet was closer and I could sedate them to bathe. That's what I had to do in the beginning to trim their hooves. The vet's only up here every 2 months and isn't coming for a couple weeks. Its going to get warm soon (60s) so I wanted to clip them. I really want to avoid drugging them.

Well you need to tie the minis up near where you are bathing your big horse so they cannot run away. If they are tied safe, go ahead and let them "freak out", since you are right there anyway. Once they realize they cannot run away, they will calm down...they will hear the noise from the hose and realize the sound does not hurt them.

Unfortunately, they both came out of an abusive situation and do not tie well. The older one will stand tied ok, the younger one (one I worked today) not so much. The last time I tied her to trim her feet, she started out fine. Then something spooked her, she freaked out, and flipped herself. Fortunately, she was ok physically. But she shook like a leaf and I couldn't get anywhere near her again for any reason for several weeks after that. Normally, she's like a dog...first to greet me then follows me around. I know tying is something I need to work on with her, but I'm not sure what the best way is.

I've been doing a little research, and I think I need to make a couple changes. Get a different nozzle for the hose, so its a softer spray. Also use a longer lead in a larger area. Which means one of the pastures, since I don't have an arena. Part of the issue now is I was trying to keep her from running into the outside hay feeder. This video makes the most sense to me, so I'm thinking of doing something similar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_4o8sVnXpM

Have you tried warm water? You can buy or build a hot wash system. Google it. I find that warm water is more accepted (would you want to be sprayed with a cold hose?). Also, unless the horse is used to being bathed I don't spray them. I just use the hose with no nozzle and use my fingers to scrub the hair to get the water down to the skin. My mini gelding still doesn't love his baths. He tolerates them but would rather not. Too bad for him he's mostly white. I never use a spray nozzle on him. I do use a nubby rubber curry though and he really likes that.

Cross ties help a ton!

As for shedding, my minis grow at least 2x the amount of winter coat that my riding horse does. So it would make sense to me that they would take longer to shed out. I usually clip them around Memorial day. That's when we can safely plant our gardens here so I figure it's a good safe bet for clipping without having to blanket as well.

If you can't tie, but you put together a small corral near where you wash? Then they aren't tied, so don't feel trapped, but are close.

Not sure if this worked or not, trying to download a picture of my wash rack. I really like this as it keeps my horse from going back and forth while bathing. Have a friend who makes these at her fence company. Makes them in ground and like mine that bolts down to the cement. Works great for clipping them also

DSCN3259.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I have some that have very tight, short, sleek (looks like they've been razor shaved) coats that are shed out LONG (up to 2 months) before the others are even releasing any hair.

I have others that never fully shed out to skin, but have short dense coats that are totally different than their winter coats.

I think the shedding not only depends on the weather but also on the horse itself.

AS to tying and washing - I have other ideas, feelings and ways of doing things. It's funny that NH practices can also be so different. The NH method I have a tendency to follow doesn't start with the legs (considered more sensitive) but with the body (between the withers and flanks) and doesn't stop while the horse is moving but follows the horse and only stops spraying first the air around the horse and then each part of it's body that's being worked on, when the horse stops moving it's feet. FUNNY. BOTH WAYS work and can work well. I think it depends on the individual handler and their horse.

AND I can do the same desensitization with the hose with my horses and ponies tied up and not have them completely "wigged out" and flipping over. How you tie them and what they are tied to makes a difference too... Now that I can fall over and/or can't keep up the same as I once did - I do not introduce a horse or pony to water in the open anymore. Tripping and falling on the ground by your horse or worse against or over your horse has a tendency to freak them out more than having them tied. I trip, ergo, I tie and I'm very watchful of where my hose and any other equipment is in mine and my horses' space.

Debbie Roberts - I LOVE THE "U" shaped stocks!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if this worked or not, trying to download a picture of my wash rack. I really like this as it keeps my horse from going back and forth while bathing. Have a friend who makes these at her fence company. Makes them in ground and like mine that bolts down to the cement. Works great for clipping them also
I love this!!! I want one. Your friend is a genius!

Couldn't resist logging in on this one....because I LOVE those U-shaped stocks!!

When I apprenticed with Harlan in TX (last century! :-O ) we had one we used with the Arabs. We did EVERYTHING in it. Palpations, teasing, vet exams, bathing, trimming meanies...you name it, we did it.

The one we used did have one variation on the one posted. It had a neck that extended out in front, with tie loops welded various distances from the body. It also angled up at about 45 degrees. This allowed us to tie close to the chest at a normal length. If we needed to check teeth, for example, we'd tie "up-and-out". Neck extended a comfortable length with head at a working height. This allowed one person-in a pinch-to use an over the gum twitch and doctor teeth. I had to do it a

couple times in my two years there, to pull foreign objects out of mouths without sacrificing my fingers. ;-)

As to the OP's original question:

In June of 2014 when I acquired Spanky, he was slick.

Last year, started dropping hair mid-January and still shedding a bit headed into June.

This year, he was MUCH hairier, with an extremely dense/wooly undercoat. Didn't even begin to THINK about dropping hair until first week of March. If I stay up on grooming he should be slick by end of month. He did not over-winter well this year--not at all. He scored a 2 in mid-January. He's at ideal weight now, ready to start conditioning.

It will be interesting to see when he starts to grow it back this year.

Thanks so much for the input everyone.

I tried out the approach I posted video of with a softer spray nozzle and longer lead, and it went reasonably well. She wasn't exactly happy with the process, but she would stand and let me spray her chest and legs for several seconds. I didn't want to stress her out too much (and my hand was giving out), so we stopped with that. This particular mini will 'explode' (rearing, bolting, etc) if under too much pressure, which I think is part of why this way worked with her. My other mini is more evasive (will swing her butt and kick first then move to rearing, etc) and a bit more suspicious generally. Will be interesting if the same way works with her, though she might respond better if I keep the water on her.

I technically have access to warm water. I have 2 barns...one where the horses are, and another that was used for other livestock. The one where the horses are does have warm water I can easily get to....but I don't have a small, safe fenced in area nearby. I do have that by the other barn, which is where I opted to bring her.

That wash rack is a great idea. Just need to figure out where I could put one.

I've stared working with them on tying, and so far its going well.

I wound up clipping them on sunday, since it was rainy. I'm glad I did, since it was in the high 60s today. Still in the 30s-40s at night, but I have blankets. They're both pretty good for that.

Latest posts

Back