sleep deprived

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vickisminis

Reaction score
Long story short (kinda)...........I had three mares that have looked like they were going to foal at any time. So after many sleepless nights looking at the camera my first mare gave birth at 3:30 last night. Other than the fact the mare never laid in the foaling position (so breeder alert no help) the foaling was pretty uneventful
default_smile.png
. Shasta was showing signs af pain so I gave her banamine (sp?). Well in the next two hours she calls me 18 times (now breeder alert works). So without even thinking about it I reached over and turned off the phone (stupid).

At 6:30 this morning I turned over to check the camera and saw my maiden mare laying down. After the sleep clear from my eyes I notice something at her butt. I go running out side and found a little filly still in the bag, plasenta expelled and she is not breathing and cold. So with tears in my eyes I tried everything I could think of to get her breathing. I swung her around, rubbed her (hard), did chest compressions, even shook her (sorry). When I had just given up, I looked up at me mare and told her I was sorry. As I was picking the filly up to take her away a felt something. I set her back down and she took a breath. At that point I keep rubbing her and even held her upside down to try to drain the fluid. She laid there gasping for air for a what seemed like for ever. When she beathed you her the fluid. She slowly improved enough to stand at about two hours and was nursing by the third hour. She still seems a little weak but I am keeping my fingers crossed.

So my advise would be>>>>>>>

Please be present at deliveries. Both of mine had to have the bag broke.

AND

Please don't turn off the phone.......................

default_new_shocked.gif
default_sad.png
OMG!!!!
default_pray.gif
:pray
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
I'm praying for your little filly!!!! Hope she gets strong and healthy real soon!!!
default_yes.gif

[SIZE=12pt]How fortunate you were is right.... I truly hope your little one continues to flourish.[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Omg I dont use foal alert or anything but I am going to start trying to revive my babies a little more than I have just to see if it works next time I miss them foaling!!! That is scary and I hope everything turns out alright and that your girls will be okay!

Hope everything with your foal turns out for the best and she continues to improve.

Oh my gosh! I would certainly keep a good eye on her, perhaps have the Vet out. She could get phenominia (sp).

Best of luck to you.......

Beth

It is a good thing for every breeder to know how to resuscitate their foals.

You were wise Vicky to try as it could not have been too long that the foal was born.

We have successfully saved a few foals by knowing what to do.

We keep a laminated copy of how to resuscitate a foal in our foaling barn and review it often during foaling season.

Please review it and print it out for your own use. If you save ONE foal it is worth the effort. If you find a foal dead at least try.

The foal is dead, you cannot hurt it! Try! You may be able to get it breathing again.

Here is the link to our site with the information.

CPCR

One more note. It has taken us up to 15 minutes of work to save a foal once. DO NOT give up easily. As long as you are breathing for it you are supplying oxygen and that is keeping its brain going.

I hope your filly will be ok! Thank you for telling others. It IS very important to be there!
default_yes.gif

What was your first foal born? Colt? Filly?

The resurrection is wonderful. Congratulations.

The resurrection is wonderful. Congratulations.
Tony I was actually going to thank you. I attended a "birthing" class you gave a few years ago. In it you were telling a storey about bring back one of your foals and that was aall I was thinking about when I was working with mine. By attending your class you have saved atleast two mares and three foals (that was said by my vet). THANKS, Vicki

If there are any people new to minis and want to breed, join your local clubs. They give you excellent support and knowledge.

An important message for all of us--thank you for the reminder. Best wishes for both your fillies' continued health.

Congratulations on a great save
default_aktion033.gif
We've only lost one in delivery that might have been savable, and now I wonder if I tried long enough to save him. Hope your foal comes through this with flying colors, and Beth is right - I'd be watchful for pneumonia with fluid you are hearing.

Jan

Sounds like u did an amazing job saving your foal!!! Congrats on both!!

I am so happy to be writing CONGRATULATIONS on your new foals, rather than so sorry for your loss. That was a close call, but it sounds like you got to her in time. Sending prayers that she continues to do well for you!!

Latest posts

Back