Slaneys Baby

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bannerminis

Reaction score
Well after watching Tease for a month I missed her foaling as my own mare was foaling around the same time lol - I told you they were in cahoots Anna lol.

She foaled a beautiful Perlino Dun Colt (very distinct dorsal - dam is a dunalino - daddy is a buckskin)

His cannon measured 7 1/2" and he is so petite and very fine haired - so much so he was shivering so put on a little rug and the heat lamp.

He was up in minutes and very fiesty but for some reason he had a very poor suck reflex - he knew where to go but just couldnt seem to figure out his suck it was more licking then sucking. He was a text book delivery so know issue there.

Anyway I gave him 20 ml through a syringe and that boosted him so he was trying again but after a while I could see he was tiring so milked the mare and tried a bottle - he would NOT suck at all even my finger so I was getting worried and he seemed a little weaker so vet was called - I was going to do that the next morning anyway because even though Slaney looked to have passed the whole placenta when I looked at it the placenta was split so I was afraid that somthing might have gotten left inside but more likely she stepped on it or somthing.

Vet came out and we tubed him - I had milked 1/4 pint (this mare is like a cow) and he got a good 2/3 of that.

Just before the vet had arrived and after I had milked the mare I had another go of getting him to latch on and using my fingers he followed them onto the teat and he got on and I could hear him swallowing so sigh of relief.

Anyway vet also gave him an anti-tet and antibiotic, he checked out Slaney but couldnt find anything left behind but he said if it was very small he wouldnt so he washed her out to be safe.

Foal manged to suck again (even with a full belly) after the vet left and has pooped and seems to be doing well although he is still a little slow with the latch.

These are not great pics but just a tasted till I can hopefully get more today but its cold today so he may not get out for long.

SlaneyFoalJune5th2011002.jpg

SlaneyFoalJune5th2011003.jpg

Getting the hang of it

SlaneyFoalJune5th2011009.jpg

how Beautiful Karina!! he looks stunning so glad it was a textbook foaling and both are doing well :D

so exciting

CONGRATS to you!!
aktion033.gif
wub.gif

I watched him being born ( you'd think Id of had enough by now lol ) he is gorgeous , such long fine legs and neck
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_aktion033.gif
, when is shimmer due ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Again many CONGRATULATIONS Karina - and thanks for the prompt pictures!

He's gorgeous and what a fantastic colour! Looking forward to more pics once it has warmed up a bit for him. Hugs for Slaney too - she did a good job with her new son.
default_wub.png

Anna

CONGRATS on your baby boy!! He is the neatest color! I hope he keeps up the good nursing.
default_yes.gif

Congrats he is just adorable. It is great to hear that he is getting the hang of feeding. Well done!

Thanks everyone and I think he has finally nailed it and is now full of beans.

The weather here has been dreadful so he got out for an hr this evening to stretch his legs and drive his mother mad.

So got a couple of pics - still in his rug but its like March here not June

Slaneybaby3.jpg

Slaneybaby2.jpg

Slaneybaby.jpg

SlaneyBabyJune6th2011025.jpg

Thank you - this mare produces some lovely foals but I had high hopes for this paring with my buckskin stallion and I think it paid off. I cant wait to see how he turns out.

Just waiting on my maiden to get down to business now

Latest posts

Back