Skylar's Horse Savannah Foaled this morning.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She is darling..Congrats!!!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_wub.png

CONGRATULATIONS on your new filly!! I am not real sure on the color. I am leaning more towards a regular bay, not silver bay. Some pics looked lighter though, and some darker.

Last edited by a moderator:
tHANKS EVERYONE, BUSY BUSY DAY.

OUR MARE RUBY FOALED TONIGHT AT 8:58PM SHE HAD A COLT.

I WILL POST HIS PHOTOS ON SUNDAY.

Well....here is my Sophie (Blue Diamond Winds of Change) when she was born:

SophieLeft2003.jpg

looks bay

Here she is at her first shedding:

hq2.jpg

what in the world color is THIS!!?? Orange??? LOL!!

And here she is at 3 yrs. and how she still looks

WQ4-1.jpg

She is silver bay and was born looking quite bay. Her mane and tail aren't flaxen though...they are very golden

Congratulations! Skylar is going to have so much fun with that filly!
default_wub.png

Melissa.....your new filly just lovely!

She appears to be the "typical" bay foal color......I see no signs of Silver. Her mane is very black....it "should" have a smokey look to it, if it were going to turn silver from the silver gene. Her tail is light right now....but it is common for bay foals to have lots of light hair on both sides of their tails at birth.

I also see no signs of silver in either parent, altho, it could be "hiding" in her chestnut dam.

The buckskin sire's mane & tail would not be so black if he carried silver....they would be dramatically lightened.

Most bay foals are NOT born with black legs. That comes later. Their legs are "usually" very light just like your fillies. This is just "foal coloring". But if you look under that light hair to the skin...you will eventually see darker hair coming in.

The exception to this is when a foal has inherited the gray gene. Those foals are usually born very dark...what their ADULT color would be....then it will gradually fade & get lighter & lighter every year.

I noticed that the one bay foal you pictured with very black legs, had a gray parent.....which explains why that foal was born looking that way.

Now.....I'm not saying Bay foals are NEVER born with dark legs apparent right from the start. I have seen a few cases where this happened...and the gray gene wasn't involved. But that is the "exception" not the general rule.

Well....here is my Sophie (Blue Diamond Winds of Change) when she was born:

SophieLeft2003.jpg

looks bay

Here she is at her first shedding:

hq2.jpg

what in the world color is THIS!!?? Orange??? LOL!!

And here she is at 3 yrs. and how she still looks

WQ4-1.jpg

She is silver bay and was born looking quite bay. Her mane and tail aren't flaxen though...they are very golden

Has this mare been color tested? She doesn't "appear" to be Silver Bay in that photo at all. Her mane looks sunbleached...not lightened to the root. What color were her parents?

Dona, she might be a tad sunbleached,but that is basically the color she is. Her dam is a bay Pintaloosa. And, her sire is Wind Walker...my silver black Appy..you know who he is...
default_biggrin.png

All of Windy's foals have been black based,so I am pretty sure he is homozygous for black. He has only thrown black and a couple of bays (when bred to bay mares)...that's it... But, he throws such STRONG black that his black foals are born BLACK and not mousy. So, I am thinking that because of the strong black, that the black is trying to control the mane and tail coloring too! His first foal for us was a silver black from a bay appy mare. The colt was solid and he looked like this when he was 8 months old:

StormyChristmas2001.jpg

But! By the time he was 2 yrs. his mane and tail had gone BLACK!!!

I think that is what we are dealing with with Sophie. That black is fighting with the flaxen and coming out gold! LOL!

Sophie was VERY bay when she was born..and notice her black fetlocks... and showed no silver in her mane or tail. But, it lightened quickly to that golden color and her legs are now brown...not black ..but darker than her body.

Here is her dam :

MoHeadDown.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back