Skijoring with Minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Here's a link to a video of Nate Bowers of Bowers Farm ski-joring with a full size horse. Looks like he is holding the traces with one hand and using the reins in the other.

Looks like a lot of body strength is required for the skiing
default_smile.png

I suspect it could be somewhat easier with a mini and I might try this with Lacey if we get the right kind of snow.

When we did this as kids, one of us rode the pony and the other skiied behind.

I met Nate with his father Steve in Colorado at the Parelli centre a few years ago - friends of mine are organizing a driving clinic with him some time next year in this area - I'm looking forward to participating in that clinic with Lacey.

Yes, that's exactly what I want to do! But....I don't want to have to hold the traces. It seemed like he was struggling a little to keep hold of everything and steer. I did get a bitless bridle, and while I'm not overly impressed with it for regular driving at all, it may be handy for this. I just don't want to be pulling on any mouths while I figure out the whole balance thing. I do think I can rig up my current break away skijoring harness and make it work to hold the traces. First snow of the year is falling as I write, so I'll keep you posted. Thanks so much for the video and reply!

Katie

Latest posts

Back