Sinus impactions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walkoffaith

Reaction score
I moved back to Missouri last year and am now experiencing a dreaded old ailment, sinus impactiction. It starts in the right side of my face near the center/ top of my nose and spreads out from there. It is so terribly painful and lasts for a week or 2. My doctor always just gives me antibiotics in case of infection and thats about it. I have been to the dentist before to make sure it isn't a tooth related problem but it isn't so no help there. I was hoping someone on here might have so advice that would help me through this.

That's horribly painful

I hope this helps you

Here's a link and part of what the treatment says

http://www.guideline.gov/summary/summary.aspx?doc_id=5449

Home Self Care/Treatment

Provide Patient Education

The patient should be instructed to implement the following comfort and prevention measures:

Home Self Care Measures

Maintain adequate hydration (drink 6 to 10 glasses of liquid a day to thin mucus)

Steamy shower or increase humidity in your home

Apply warm facial packs (warm wash cloth, hot water bottle, or gel pack for 5 to 10 minutes 3 or more times per day)

Analgesics (acetaminophen, ibuprofen, aspirin as needed)

Saline irrigation

Homemade (1/4 teaspoon salt dissolved in 1 cup of water; use bulb syringe or dropper purchased from drug store)

Saline nasal drops/spray, commercial (e.g., Ocean®, Salinex®, Nasal®)

Decongestants (topically or orally)

Pseudoephedrine hydrochloride (e.g., Sudafed®) 60 mg. every 4 to 6 hours, not to exceed 4 doses per 24 hours.

Decongestant nasal sprays for no longer than 3 days, (e.g., oxymetazoline [e.g., Afrin®]), phenylephrine hydrochloride (Neo-Synephrine®)

Adequate rest

Sleep with head of bed elevated

Avoid cigarette smoke and extremely cool or dry air

Last edited by a moderator:
I work for a chiropractor and she adjust my sinus all the time with a activator. This helps with the sinus headaches and also helps the fluid drian so that I don't get a sinus infection.

Ask a chiropractor in your area.

Carlene

Try a neti pot! I recently got one myself for sinus issues and OMG! I love it! I've always had sinus issues and it's amazing the difference. So much so, my kids want one of their own now because they have sinus (allergy) issues, too. If you do go that route, I suggest you also buy the salt packets that are available. I was using just table salt added to my water initially and it burned like all get out. Switched to the salt packets and it's wonderful!!!

Here's a link with info on them. Neti Pot info

Most people have the reaction of ewwww, so did my kids, but after watching me do it several times and listening to my ravings about how awesome I feel now compared to before, they changed their minds and one daughter tried it. It's not bad at all.
default_yes.gif
:

Oh yes!!! I have just two words here NETI POT!!!!!!

I know a couple of other folks who use them, and I JUST got one! Amazing!!

I have a bad nose, and a deviated septum. Plan on going in After Nationals in Sept and having a septo plasty done. Hopefully it will help my headaches. It will be worth a try,

A lot of those sprays like Afrin I think it is...work BUT a surgeon told me those a very very BAD to use. Makes withdrawl very bad and is not good for your nose at all and told me to stop immediately.

Just a thought
default_rolleyes.gif
:

A lot of those sprays like Afrin I think it is...work BUT a surgeon told me those a very very BAD to use. Makes withdrawl very bad and is not good for your nose at all and told me to stop immediately.
My FIL used those sprays for years on end, several times a day. Destroyed the inside of his nose and he had to have surgery to fix all the damage. After that, I have never sprayed anything up my nose again. The neti pot, however, it totally different. It's not sprayed, is nothing but salt water (what we are made of).

Thank you so much everyone for your advice! I can't get in to see the doctor until Monday afternoon. Marty I am trying a lot of the reccomendations in that article, between that and 3 advil every 4 hours it is helping. I ordered the Neti Pot and salt packs for the 3 day delivery. It looks like it might really help. Again thank you everyone for your advice. I just knew I could ask here and get some good advice!

Thank you so much everyone for your advice! I can't get in to see the doctor until Monday afternoon. Marty I am trying a lot of the reccomendations in that article, between that and 3 advil every 4 hours it is helping. I ordered the Neti Pot and salt packs for the 3 day delivery. It looks like it might really help. Again thank you everyone for your advice. I just knew I could ask here and get some good advice!
Glad you got some good advice! I'd love to hear an update after you try the neti pot.
default_yes.gif
:

Back