Silver Dun or Silver Dunskin?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you Chandab J he is my little prince. I’m working on a more updated picture so I’ll keep you guys posted.

And Marsha, I really hope your right cuz I prefer my duns with no other dilutions

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, I apologize for the poor quality of the picture and my poor little mans scruffy look but you can see a smutty buckskin and a bay pinto just behind him to compare him to which turned out nice. You can also see his chocolaty appearance where there should be black hair. Unfortunately, I didn’t get close enough for you to see his leg barring just above his knee but you can kind of make it out in this picture

Anyways I love him and I just want to squeeze him
default_smile.png

ross6.jpg

Again, I apologize for the poor quality of the picture and my poor little mans scruffy look but you can see a smutty buckskin and a bay pinto just behind him to compare him to which turned out nice. You can also see his chocolaty appearance where there should be black hair. Unfortunately, I didn’t get close enough for you to see his leg barring just above his knee but you can kind of make it out in this picture

Anyways I love him and I just want to squeeze him
default_smile.png

View attachment 12210
He is adorable
default_smile.png
I too like strait dun. I compared his pic to our colt at about that age. His mane might be a little lighter? But I will stick with my guess of just zebra dun
default_smile.png

Marsha

He is adorable
default_smile.png
I too like strait dun. I compared his pic to our colt at about that age. His mane might be a little lighter? But I will stick with my guess of just zebra dun
default_smile.png

Marsha
Do you mind posting one of your boy so I can see? I love all duns and spend a lot of time tracing their pedigrees in minis

Thanks for the new picture! Now in this new one I do see the silver and cream, but am using my cell phone so a very small pic for me. Sometimes the young duns are very hard to tell if there's cream or not too (at least for me). Make sure you remember to post the results when you get them.

Allowing for the fact that in one at least he is clipped, no, I would not say Silver or Cream, just Bay Dun...

Jane I did also decide to test for silver sense there seems to be some unsure people. Like I told Marsha, I hope he isn't but I'm still leaning more towards him having it.

I will try to have the hair out tomorrow and will post the results when I get them
default_smile.png

I see silver in him, partially because the dam sure looks to have it. My silver buckskin looked like a regular buckskin in the mane and tail at birth but by a few months old was clearly silver. Not sure about the cream!

And as for the person who was fussing over the body being "red," they were being simplistic and referring to the phenotypical red brown appearance of the body color of a bay rather than the genotypical red or black base. Silver does not affect a red horse, but by that we mean a horse with no copies of the black gene to be washed out. A bay is a black horse who has already had the body color washed out by agouti, and most certainly DOES show the dilution...just not in the body color. You're both right!

Leia

Oh and Fizz, there's no way to prove a horse doesn't have something through their foals but you can certainly tell if they DO have something! For example, if an apparently red mare throws a silver black foal when bred to a black or bay horse, you know without testing that she carries silver.

Leia

Thanks for this Leia I forgot about that early on or I would have corrected it as well. I also a silver black filly back in 2008 that was black horse at birth and was clearly silver by 2 months old.

Oh and Fizz, there's no way to prove a horse doesn't have something through their foals but you can certainly tell if they DO have something! For example, if an apparently red mare throws a silver black foal when bred to a black or bay horse, you know without testing that she carries silver.

Leia
Here is the case with my mare that caused the controversy with her foals, which I saw all in person but the buckskin that I only had pictures of.

· Bay filly out a black stallion

· Buckskin colt out of a bay stallion

· Silver filly (cream unknown) out of a silver stallion

· Silver dun filly (cream unknown) out of a bay/brown stallion

· And this colt out of a bay/brown stallion

So yes, I was able to conclude that she is heterozygous for cream, dun and agouti. Yes Pinto and base color are still unknown because she has only thrown pinto and black based foals. What I was getting at was that I had enough information to bypass genetic testing so I didn’t pay money one what is already known.

Leia, Fizz's silver testing comment was in reference to the OP basicly stating (or implying) that because each and every one of the foals she produced carried silver, then she was going to pass it to all. They said they knew for certain the foal in question carried silver because the dam produced all silver foals.

Also, minifrieshorsefarm was absolutely correct. I don't consider her making a correction to the accuracy of a statement to be "fussing" over a post. The person that posted that bay was red, when talking specifically about color and color testing posted misinformation and was good that it was corrected, as I am sure it had many readers going HUH and scratching their head. I remember years ago, in the Barbara Naviaux color article published in The World, she showed the smokey colored undercoat that silver can cause to a bay...thus, silver bay.

Exactly so, Mona. I think if we all read posts a little more carefully before "correcting" people it might help, although I do realise that I should have put the "quote" thing in there- I can see how it could be a bit ambiguous without it.

Some Silver Buckskins never show the Silver, btw, Buckeroo never did, only as a foal, which seems to be more usual.

Of course it is possible to tell if a Red base animal has Silver by it having a Silver foal, what it is not possible to tell is that it is H/Z for Silver merely because all it's foal so far have been Silver.

All that proves is that you are lucky!!

I think a lot of people make that basic mistake about Bay- once you have your head round the fact that there are only two base colours- Red and Black- it does make the whole thing a lot easier to understand, or at least to start understanding!!

Yes I agree that we need to read posts more clearly. With that said, I really should have posted my above post in with the op that sparked the argument about my mares silver geneotype because I never clamed all her foals to be silver. I just was stating that I knew her color based on her foal record. I can kind of see how that post could be a little misleading. My colts silver was only based on how he currently apears.

Sorry, I was not suggesting that you gave the opinion that all your mares foals were Silver- I just used that as an example- I think maybe we should go back to the beginning and start again
default_yes.gif

Sorry, I was not suggesting that you gave the opinion that all your mares foals were Silver- I just used that as an example- I think maybe we should go back to the beginning and start again
default_yes.gif
I agree but I think enough people have voted to still make this fun. I also feel like maybe this thread could have been confusing to newbies. Do you suggest that I have Mary Lou delete this thread and start over with all the facts laid out in the begining?

Latest posts

Back