Signs of SPRING?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miniv

Reaction score
Around here in Central Oregon I swear SPRING is showing up EARLY. Anyone else seeing it?

For example -- The Redwing Blackbirds (males only) are here.....in February? They're a month early! There's a gathering

of them in a tree just outside singing their hearts out.........Our first Spring bulbs are blooming.....And the darn Sage Rat

males are all emerging from their dens. I even heard a Rock Chuck calling yesterday! Oh, and our summer Robins are

here too.....

Saw a robin here in PA two days ago and my bulbs are starting to emerge..........

We live in AZ, so maybe not abnormal. All our horses are shedding their winter coats. Have not seen that in years past.

A few bulbs are poking up here in NH. It was almost 60 degrees here today. My POA and welsh are shedding but the mini is hanging on to his coat tightly.

Last week (half hour north of Seattle) was pretty warm; although, last night temperatures dropped and snow was dusted on the top of the nearby foothills. The few crocus bulbs the voles missed are blooming, but daffodils are only just sprouted and will take another month, probably, to bloom.

Nicky is shedding vigorously, but the two girls aren't. Weird... I wonder whether it's color related? Except he's shedding his white hairs and Baby (who also has a lot of white hair) isn't.

Well, our corner of Texas already has ants, flies, mosquitoes, and wasps. Jonquils already blooming. The Jonquil Festival is mid March. Sure do hope they are still around. Some of the horses are shedding on the face and getting the "raccoon look." I mowed the weeds in the front yard last week and got my first sunburn of the year on my face.

Not going there with our horse shedding.... (fur everywhere)..... and I do believe that some of that is from LIGHT?

I personally don't condone it, but I've known people who control shedding with how much light they get.......sort of like chickens and egg laying.

Oh! That's another Spring indicator!!! Our chickens have been laying eggs again!!!

Not going there with our horse shedding.... (fur everywhere)..... and I do believe that some of that is from LIGHT?

I personally don't condone it, but I've known people who control shedding with how much light they get.......sort of like chickens and egg laying.

Oh! That's another Spring indicator!!! Our chickens have been laying eggs again!!!
My MILs chickens have laid all winter, with minimal break; she feeds a layer mash mixed with grain screenings. They didn't like the oats she tried, and quit laying during those few days she tried the oats.

We've got HONEY BEES!!!

Larry gave me a pot with several kinds of bulbed flowers for Valentines Day. Yesterday I put the pot out on the porch and

there were at least a dozen honey bees going after the Hyacinth blooms! Ended up moving the pot further away from

the porch just in case a bee meandered into the house.

We've had a very mild winter here and a week ago I would of said yes, there are signs...now I don't see any under the 16" of new snow and another foot coming on Tuesday.

I see green poking up just about everywhere, including in my own paddocks... Just a smudge, don't you know.

Geese - headed North!!

Barn swallows are building nests, geese are on their way home and I 've seen quite a few robins. Keep checking for the horses to start shedding, but not yet.

signs of spring for me is riding the can am to work at 50 degrees in the early am and riding back home after work close or in the 70s :D

Was 70° today so I bathed a few ponies and tied them in the sun to dry with a hay net. The fur is beginning to fly everywhere. The bees and the flies are out now and last night we heard the peep frogs out in the swamp. That usually is the official sign of spring here.

I seen a huge bumble bee today! My mares are rubbing themselves raw so the clippers are coming out. No seasons yet, but on the first i want to get my mare to the vet for a flush and see how shes doing internally. Maybe this year i will get her pregnant!

Latest posts

Back