Sidepass, Turn on the front & rear

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pam Crise

Reaction score
Hi -

You guys have given such good advice on teaching the pivot I was wondering how you teach the sidepass, turn on the forehand and turn on the rear (in hand). Just wanted to compare to what I have been doing to make sure I am on the right track. And what verbal commands do you use for each?

Driving I have been telling my gelding to come right or come left for a turn on wheel (probably not the right terminology!) along with tapping his outside shoulder with the whip, releasing the outside rein and using my inside rein. He is coming along very with it. Crossing his front legs and coming around without the forward motion. Would you use the same verbal commands for the turn on the rear in hand? Or do you usually keep your driving commands separate from in hand. I was thinking he would associate the two like a riding horse who learns his turns from the ground then is rode thru the turns.

He will walk and trot along with my speed and stop when I do on a loose lead so he has all of that down. Any suggestions as to how to get a straight back out of him? It doesn't matter if we are driving or in hand he will throw his right hind out after a couple of steps and we are going at a nice pretty straight angle instead of a straight line. Driving I try to keep the same pressure on both reins - in hand I stand backwards at his shoulder, keep my hand under his chin and gently tug straight back. Do I just need to work him along the wall for awhile? Or do I need to watch for something I am not doing correctly? Something in his postion when I ask him to start backing?

Thanks for all of your advice
default_yes.gif
:

Pam

Well for the backing in a straight line

Make sure you have equal pressure on both sides of his mouth. And ask for only a few steps at a time. Make sure they are straight steps. Then praise him. Then if he steps out of them, no praise, but walk him up and try again.

i stand directly in front of mine when i want them to back

Latest posts

Back