Sidepass at Nationals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ourhobbyfarm

Reaction score
I previously learned to side pass a mini you walk towards its side and it moves over or wave a hand while you are at the head, facing the eye and it will move over. I noticed at Nationals everyone faces the horse right in front of the fore head and steps over while the mini follows. Which is better? I assume facing the head because that is what they were doing at Nationals? Should I re-train my minis even if they are excellent at sidepassing how they were taught?

I have noticed that judges around here (Pinto shows anyway) seem to prefer the sidespass from the front. Or maybe it is that those of us that trained our minis that way are doing the other obstacles the way the judges like too. I think it looks more polished to be able to sidepass from the front in either direction, but I think you need to train the horse first the way most people do it, from the side.

I think it looks cleaner side passing them by the head, and also not have to take your hands off the lead. Sure when your teaching them it may not look pretty but I think if your looking to show at these bigger shows you have to refine it.

Latest posts

Back