Side Reins??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgranch

Reaction score
I am wondering if someone can explain side reins to me?? How do you use them?? How do they work?? Where do you buy them?? How long do you use them on a horse?? Etc.

Thanks

Gina

That is a huge topic! :D I would refer you to go to the library for some dressage books, the ones I am particularly fond of are The New Basic Training of the Young Horse by Klimke, Dressage in Harmony by Walter Zettl, and Schooling Horses in Hand: A Means of Suppling and Collection by Hinrichs (this one also has a companion video, very good).

I use solid side reins usually, they give a good solid feel to the horse. I got my best side reins from Estate Horse Supply (http://www.horsecarts.com). If I have a horse that is a worrier and has a hard time coming to contact, I might use ones with elastic in them.

The best tip I can give you on side reins is to start extremely conservative! Don't just slap them on the horse and crank them up to a finished frame. They need to build confidence in the contact, and that means to me starting out with a single side rein for them to get a feel of it, then eventually adding in the second one. And never, ever lose the forward movement!
default_smile.png

Hope that helps.

Sidereins are usually used on young horses to accustom them to the bit and teach them that it's easier to give to pressure than to fight it. Most sidereins are made of elastic or have an rubber "doughnut" in the middle of them to provide some give. I've never used sidereins much on my big horses (preferring to ride them instead) and most of the ones I've seen for the little guys don't have enough give to make me comfortable trying them. Part of that of course is because as a dressage driver I want my horse to have a very sensitive "feel" on the bit rather than learning to maintain a constant headset or constant pressure.

In traditional use of sidereins for English, Western, and dressage you start with the sidereins set low (about horizontal for your horse's natural neck carriage) and let the horse get used to carrying themselves. As they progress you raise where the sidereins are attached and the horse learns to move in a higher frame. You can make them one hole shorter on the inside when lunging so the horse learns to bend.

I prefer what's called "sliding sidereins" which attach to the girth between the horse's forelegs, run through each side of the bit, then back to the surcingle on either side. They allow the horse to raise or lower their head as they find their balance and help teach the horse to raise their back and the root of their neck and learn to track under themselves with their hindquarters. Most importantly they won't yank the horse in the mouth if they stumble or lose their balance which traditional sidereins might.

Find an experienced trainer in your area and take some lessons if you are interested in using any of these pieces of equipment. They can all be helpful but if not used right can cause discomfort or pain and set the horse back in their training rather than helping.

Leia

Heh, Amy we were posting at the same time!

Last edited by a moderator:
LeoinHarness023-1.jpg

This is Leo in side reins, he has no bit but you can see that he is leaning into the contact quite nicely- if anything a little too much!!! (He was very "forward going")

*And Yes I know the breeching is too low!!!*

That's what I wanted to know!! If I understand correctly they are mainly used to get a headset. I agree with you Leia I only do CDE so won't worry my head about side reins!!

Thanks

Gina

Not sure about minis since I am just getting started with them, but using side reins on big horses can be very valuable in getting them to learn to reach and stretch for the bit, for teaching bending, etc. Since dressage is a very important part of CDE I would think that use of side reins could be very helpful with minis too. But used to get them to stretch and bend, not force them into a headset. Hoping to hear more responses so I can learn more too.

I think using side reins is an important part of dressage training, I would certainly not give up on using them so quick! Just educate yourself about them first.

I explained quite a lot on my thread with a video of my new driving trainee for 2008, I think the title is Bringing Along another driving horse, wanna come along? I posted within the last day so it should be on the first two pages.
default_smile.png

Found it, here is the link: http://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/index.php?showtopic=86722

As a dressage rider I cringe at the term "headset" because it entails exactly that, a "set" which isn't the idea at all. The "frame" of a correctly moving dressage mount comes from the entire body, hindquarters to nose. The horse has a swinging back with movement and power coming from behind, with suppleness and obedience. The idea of side reins is because they offer a CONSTANT and unchanging boundary, a box, if you will, something even experienced riders have a hard time with. The horse has a better oppertunity of understanding a constant aid then an inconsistent one. The side reins encourage the horse to give but will ONLY be effective, the way they are suppose to, if the horse is encouraged to push from behind. You really have to understand the horse and the goal movement. Simply slapping on the side reins will probably teach the horse to keep their head "set" but without the rest, you will also teach the horse to move on the forehand and behind the vertical, something that looks "cute" to the untrained eye, but won't fool the dressage judge and definitely won't get you to the upper levels of dressage, or give you that high stepping extended trot needed for the single pleasure ring. I am much more experienced at dressage riding than driving but I would guess that it is equally difficult or even more so in driving, because the whip is not nearly as effective as your leg.

I am much more experienced at dressage riding than driving but I would guess that it is equally difficult or even more so in driving, because the whip is not nearly as effective as your leg.
Matt, I completely agree with you on this point. You really have to get the horse "hot off your aids," just as when you are riding. I have been around the block with my first driving horse Ally, and we have gone through a LOT of mistakes on our way to getting pretty decent. I have ridden hunters, then dressage all my life, driving is a whole 'nother ball of wax! And trying to coordinate your whip aids while maintaining a steady contact...WELL! Easier said than done, it is not as simple as a little flick behind the calf, that is for sure. Just like anything, it takes a LOT of practice! And it can look pretty ugly at first! :DOH!

As a dressage rider I cringe at the term "headset" because it entails exactly that, a "set" which isn't the idea at all. The "frame" of a correctly moving dressage mount comes from the entire body, hindquarters to nose. The horse has a swinging back with movement and power coming from behind, with suppleness and obedience. The idea of side reins is because they offer a CONSTANT and unchanging boundary, a box, if you will, something even experienced riders have a hard time with. The horse has a better oppertunity of understanding a constant aid then an inconsistent one.
Excellent, excellent post from start to finish (including the parts I cut for space
default_wink.png
). Educational for me too. Thank you Matt! You clarified the goals of the device which is something I was having trouble remembering.

Leia

I have been taking dressage riding lessons for several years, and still have a lot to learn, and I think that to be a truly successful dressage driver you need equal the training and experience. The best drivers and riders will really understand the movement of the horse, not just how to use the reins, and "make them go faster"....

I wish that dressage driving instructors were as available as dressage riding instructors, anyone know of really good dressage driving instructors in or near the New England Seacoast area???

I've got a good driven dressage instructor here in WA, thankfully. You might try my links page at www.cde4vse.com/links.htm and look under both "Trainers" and some of the event links and breeders. Network and find out who competes large horses in driven dressage in your area and you'll probably be able to track down a trainer!

Leia

I hate to see side reins used as a winch-style bitting rig
default_no.gif
.... with the horse throttled down tightly into the desired headset and then free-lunged... often resulting in the right "look" (headset only) but no collection in any sense of the word. Bracing against the bit, dropping the back and trailing out in back does not contribute to collection or athleticism. A collected horse, as Matt said, powers from the hindquarters forward - not from the head back. Impulsion. Reach. Drive. Using his hindquarters... back... topline... neck. Supple. Elastic. Rhythmic. Responsive. Light on the bit - not leaning on it. Or dropping behind it to avoid the pressure.

Any tool is only as good as the person using it. Misused - it becomes a handicap instead of an aid.

Latest posts

Back