Side checks

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shalamara minis

Reaction score
The trainers that I have used and been around all use over checks, as this is how they show. I need some close up pictures of proper set up side checks. I would like to change one of our horses from over check to side check, but I'm only guessing at how they should be set up and adjusted.

The check clips to the bit between the lines(reins) and the cheekpiece of the bridle. It runs up along the cheekpiece and then there should be a check-carrier (metal loop) that hangs off the crown by where the browband concho goes. The check should run through this check-carrier and then under the mane back to the waterhook (hook thingy on the back of the saddle) and then back up along the same way on the other side.

To adjust, there should be buckles of some type to take up any slack. Sorry for no pics.

I hope that helps any,

Andrea

I assume you mean for the show ring? No help there as we don't show, but wish you luck with it..otherwise I say "dump the check" as we dont use them..

we drive trails and they are dangerous on hills or if the horse loses it's footing as he needs his head for balance..Jane (rabbitfizz) can explain it much better than I)

Hope you enjoy your driving no matter what type you're doing!

Maxine

I do run my checks OVER the mane and not under.
I start there, but usually by the end of the class, or 3 steps into the ring, it's half and half.
default_rolleyes.gif

Thanks Maxine, Yes this is for show ring only. I would NEVER use any type of check out of the ring. Been around horses to long for that. I have one young horse with a natural head set that has never had any type of check on.

Latest posts

Back