Sickish Horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drivin*me*buggy

Reaction score
Ok, my gelding has some sort of problem, at night in particular when he's stalled he gets like diarrhea and makes a mess all over his hind legs, & so I wash him off in the mornings when he's really gross because otherwise the gnats & flies won't leave him alone, he seems to go through bouts of it, with periods of time where his fine, then other times he even seems to feel not good. But when he's exercised everyday, he seems to be fine at night, is there a way to link the two, exercise & not getting sick at night? I haven't been able to work him for about a week & a 1/2 & he's had quite a messy backend, hopefully I can get back to working him not that he's sound. Other than this he's a very heathy fella, and hasn't had any problems that I can remember since I've have him (2 years).

Any Idea's or suggestions welcome, Thanks Guys
default_yes.gif
:

Ashley

Can you have the vet take a look at him, and maybe draw some blood for tests?

How long has he been having this issue?

How long has he been having this issue?
I'ld say it started about 5 or 6 months ago, & I can't think of anything that changed around that time..
default_sad.png

Can you have the vet take a look at him, and maybe draw some blood for tests?
I'll work on that, what would he be tested for? (I'm guessing my vet will prolly know what lol)

Thanks Jill
default_smile.png

Ash

I don't know what he should be tested for, but I think maybe if you tell the vet the symptoms, he or she would have some ideas. It's frustrating with animals! I wish they could tell us better what's not feeling right, etc. Good luck getting it figured out and for sure be especially careful if it's real hot where you are... the heat plus his diarrhea could cause dehydration which can lead to a string of other serious problems in horses.

you really need him checked out our friends lost a horse from something like that. I hope he isn't really sick

:smileypuke:

I don't know what he should be tested for, but I think maybe if you tell the vet the symptoms, he or she would have some ideas. It's frustrating with animals! I wish they could tell us better what's not feeling right, etc. Good luck getting it figured out and for sure be especially careful if it's real hot where you are... the heat plus his diarrhea could cause dehydration which can lead to a string of other serious problems in horses.
Thanks Jill I'm sure I'll get it figured out
default_wacko.png
: . & I will definently make sure he stays hydrated

you really need him checked out our friends lost a horse from something like that. I hope he isn't really sick

:smileypuke:

He acts normal, & I hope he's not really sick
default_sad.png
. Hopefully I'll get this figured out soon.

Worms? when did he last get dewormed?

He's on a good worming schedule; I rotate wormers and he was just wormed 2 weeks ago.

Just to clear things up as I'm not so good at explaining things : All his poop isn't diarrhea, he has mostly normal poop, just a little soft sometimes, and he has only a little bit of diarrhea, enought to make his hocks a mess & gross.
default_sad.png

Thanks Guys!

Ash

Edited to say :

Mom thinks I should worm him double dose of Safeguard for 3/5 days & try him on some probiotic paste, <--- I had him on probiotics a little bit ago for a few weeks & it didn't help so I stopped. Since it seems to clear up during the day, could it be an anxiety thing from being stalled at night. Maybe I'll give him something in there then, like a toy or something so he has something to do? He sortof has to be stalled as there are coyotes around here & I would not be able to sleep with him not in the barn
default_unsure.png
: .

Last edited by a moderator:
I think some people here have fed yugurt to help w/ diarrhea? I seem to remember some members saying so.

And, if he is routinely stalled at night, I wouldn't think that would be causing anxiety. Usually, horses are adjusted to being stalled part of the day fairly rapidly.

What are you feeding? I know someone who had a horse like this because it was allergic to what it was eating. Once the diet was changed, all was well.

I think some people here have fed yugurt to help w/ diarrhea? I seem to remember some members saying so.

And, if he is routinely stalled at night, I wouldn't think that would be causing anxiety. Usually, horses are adjusted to being stalled part of the day fairly rapidly.
I'll have to try the yogart, & I wasn't thinking being stalled was making him sick, because I thought he'ld adjust to it.
default_wacko.png
:

What are you feeding? I know someone who had a horse like this because it was allergic to what it was eating. Once the diet was changed, all was well.
I haven't changed feeds in about a year, when I added the platform grain, & he doesn't get anything else but hay & water besides the grain, & we have never changed hay people (thankfully).

Thanks Laurie & Jill
default_wink.png
:

I'm going to read so more horse health books now.....
default_wacko.png
:
default_unsure.png
:

Ash

Any other ideas? I'm going to check & see how much hay both the Brat & Buck ate already, it's always gone in the morning but I wonder if they eat it all then sleep for a while & wake up & are bored waiting for their grain in the morning?, I'm going outside before I head to bed and check, If they ate it all I'll throw them some more & maybe Banner will have a 'good' night.
default_sad.png
Well if anyone has any more suggestions I'll love to hear them, you can PM me if you like.

You guy's advice very much appreiciated
default_yes.gif
:

Ashley

How old is your little guy? My five year old had intermittent diarrhea off and on for about 1 1/2 years when he was 2 1/2 to 4 years old. It sounds similar to yours where most manure was okay, just one or two loose stools during the day and only occasionally. I, too, had to wash his bum on days when he had the diarrhea to keep him clean. He is a feisty little fellow and a smart guy; he can get bored and loves to rough house with his buddy. He is regularly dewormed and vaccinated, on grass hay, Nutrena Safe Choice, carrots, an occasional cookie, Platinum Performance vitamins, and routine blood panels. I always add water to his SafeChoice just for good measure.
default_wink.png
: The vet never could figure out what caused it but he hasn't had any problems for over a year now. I still do annual blood panels on all my horses.

Okay, I wasn't much help but at least wanted to share our experience. Please keep us posted as to what you find out. Good luck! :saludando:

Silver Dollar,

Ash's mom here,that was good to read as it sounds just like Banner. He falls right into that age bracket and his care and personality sound similar too.

I wonder if it has anything to do with teeth...He had his teeth floated in the spring, I am thinking more along the lines of teething, although I think he has all his permanent teeth now.

Or maybe he gets frustrated towards morning in the stall? He is a healthy horse, good appetite,pink gums, vaccinated,wormed, good hay and water,exercice. 95% of the time he has normal poop, then sometimes he has "butt juice" as Ash calls it.

Ash wants to find a different grain now, we'll look into that tomorrow. Thank you all for your help.

Angie

Here is my best guess since this is happening at night and nerves cause runny poop such as you describe:

I think he is suffering from claustrophobia or anxiety being in his stall at night.

Is your stall an inviting place for him to be?

Is it big enough, plenty of air flow?

Can he see out? Or are the walls too high?

Is he in the barn alone? Does he have a buddy?

Do you give him ample hay at night?

PS: he could also be scared from hearing the coyotees at night. You might try leaving a night light on for him, something dim, and soft music playing

Hi Angie,

I was thinking teeth, too! I forgot to mention that. Silver is still getting teeth--he's got one of his front ones coming in (again?); I swear he already lost that one when he was almost three. I need to get the vet out. How old is Banner? I made my vet float Silver's teeth twice a year. My vet thought I was a bit obssessive (okay, maybe I am
default_wacko.png
default_smile.png
but every time he had lots of points to file.

Good luck with Banner. Maybe a different grain will help.

Rebecca

Hi Marty, Angie here..sent Ash off to bed.........I agree with you about it being possibly anxiety/ or frustrated being in all night.

He has a nice stall with his buddy next door who he can see through the stall bars. Given hay at night before they go in at dark ( a flake) Ash went out to check on him tonight before bed and gave them more since it was gone. So, maybe he needs to munch on more overnight, we could do this since I let the dogs out anyway.

You know what you just made me think of...............I think this all started after I sold my donkeys and got Buck. When I sold the donkeys, Banner got Badger's stall ( Badge as the boss and had the choice stall
default_wink.png
: ) I wonder now that he is the "herd boss" ,at night he feels added pressure so to speak and then ta da....the nervous poops?

Banner is a thinker, a worrier....when we take one out to work or when Buck goes to the pasture with out Banner....Banner looks and whinnies, he doesn't act like a nut or anything....but eats and talks....where as Buck is like, as long as I'm eating...I am a happy horse.

Thanks again everyone.

Angie

UPDATE:

I went out last night & both boys hay was gone, So I brought Banner out of his stall, and he had slightly messy hocks, not really bad but still a little messy
default_sad.png
. I put Banner back in his stall & threw them some more hay. This morning I went out & for once they both were'nt pacing around waiting for their grain, it looked like they really just woke up :eek: . But Banner's hocks weren't any worse then they were when I went out last night, so I guess that's good?
default_wacko.png
: I'm going to keep going out there before bed to throw some hay & check on them, maybe it will help.
default_unsure.png
:

I'm thinking that it's an anxiety thing Marty, but I'm not ruling anything out
default_wink.png
: .

How old is Banner? I made my vet float Silver's teeth twice a year. My vet thought I was a bit obssessive (okay, maybe I am ) but every time he had lots of points to file.
Banner is around 4, he had his teeth done I think ... hmmm, 3 months ago? I'm not quite sure but I know they have been done recently and when they were done they were even bad just a few points.

Ashley

Edited to say: I'm going out to work him lightly in a few minutes, & what gets me is when he's worked he seems to have better nights...
default_unsure.png
: I'm not sure I'll update this again in a few days or start a new post to say if he's doing better after being worked, he was laid of for this past week & 1/2 because he did something to his right front pastern/fetlock & was sore on it, soooo hopefully work is the key to helping him?? Oh I just thought of this, it's not like seasonal, it doesn't matter what season it is he's had a messy back end in the winter too....
default_wacko.png
:

I think it's interesting that he does better when he's had some excersize. Could he perhaps have some sand in his gut? And excersize helps work some of it out? Have you ever given him a Psyllium product in his feed?

MA

I think it's interesting that he does better when he's had some excersize. Could he perhaps have some sand in his gut? And excersize helps work some of it out? Have you ever given him a Psyllium product in his feed?

MA

lol I thought it was interesting too, sometimes he eats stuff(just random stuff that he must like in the dirt :eek: ) off the ground, possibly getting dirt with it, No I've never given him an Psyllium product, is there one you'ld recommend? He has hay given either in the barn (on rubber mats)or outside on mats, I try to keep them from eating off the ground.

Thanks!!!
default_yes.gif
:

Ash

Dirt eating could also be a sign of a stomach ache. Its the horses way of self medicating if your soil contains clay great but if its sand you need to use a Psyllium product to remove the sand. You can do a simple test.... take fresh manure that hasn't touch the ground (i.e. the top of the pile) and put in a bucket and add water swish it around and let it set until it settles pour off almost all the water and add more clean water do this until your left with any sand that has settled to the bottom anything over a teaspoon and you have a sand build up. This caused loose poop with my mini mare but did not solve the problem of the off and on loose poop still trying to figure that out a year later. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back