Sick Colt...LONG story

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mona,

How is your boy this morning? Good news I hope..................lots of advise here
default_smile.png

Keep up the good work.

Beth

Oh Mona, this is terrific news!!! You have received some WONDERFUL advice here from some very experienced people - woo hoo!!!

Regarding the PenG oral question, I don't have a clue...BUT KV VET Suppy's Pharmacy has helped me out in the past with some tough questions; you may want to give them a call:

Phone:

Toll-Free: 800-423-8211

International: 402-367-6047

By Email:

KV Vet Supply - Contact Us Page

Keep up the good work!

Liz R.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know why Penicillin cannot be administered orally, like people take? Is there any reason(aside from it working slower) that it cannot be given in the mouth??
I have given it by mouth with horses which are absolutely afraid of needles. I just add a bit more, as chances are, some will be lost due to slobbering afterwards. It tastes bad, so with a larger horse, I give a handful of feed in their dishes afterwards...this lil guy will probably just go have a slurp...

Good Luck!!

Mona

I didnt get on here until late but I am so glad things are looking up for you. I do think its important that you let everyone here know just how far you are from any horse vets. I can so sympathize with you. I dont think so many here realize how very lucky they are when they can just call or pop over to a horse vet and get tubing and testing and all sorts of expert horse care. In many areas for many owners this is simply not possible. When we first had minis I asked around about equine vets and was told oh your big animal vet will be fine. We did have cows at the time. Well my big animal vet didnt even take horses. He was strictly a cow vet. So then I tried to line up an equine vet the one who was recommended had only worked with (Big) horses and truthfully thought minis a waste of her time. Finally after losing our very first foal due to a misdiagnosis we finally found a great 24 hour equine vet who after 5 years I can call about anything at any time and at least get an answer. In many places such as is your situation this simply isnt possible and those of us who have this service no matter how vigilent could never do some of the things you do. Big Congratulations for hanging with this little guy and for the improvement. My hat is off to you for staying with it and not giving up. Continued Prayers from here that he just gets better and better.

EXCELLENT NEWS!!!
default_thumbup.gif
: The little guy's temp is now just the "high end of normal"!!!

Sue C.'s info on giving Penecillin orally is truly interesting......... Would love more imput on that as it would sure save a lot of hassles!!!

MA

:new_multi: :new_multi: YEAH!!! :new_multi: :new_multi:

Robin

Hi there are antibiodics you can give orally I have used tetracycline (sp) it is a yellow powder easily mixed with water and can be bought here anyway at most feed stores (for cattle) there is another one in a paste I forget what it is called and one other powder my vet wanted me to try but I had to mix to much of that compared to the amount of feed they get so that didnt work

If you have to do shots ask the vet about NAXCEL.It is a very good antibiotic, but a bit pricey.Has to be done 2 x daily for 5 days,but it works great.Tribressen paste is an antibiotic which I have used after castration.You would probably have to squeeze it on your finger&put it in the foal's mouth since he doesn't weigh much.Good luck& keep us posted.I feel so lucky to have vets closeby.Give yourself a pat on the back for taking such good care of your Minis.

Mona

I didnt get on here until late but I am so glad things are looking up for you. I do think its important that you let everyone here know just how far you are from any horse vets. I can so sympathize with you. I dont think so many here realize how very lucky they are when they can just call or pop over to a horse vet and get tubing and testing and all sorts of expert horse care. In many areas for many owners this is simply not possible.

How well said!! And might i also mention, that all equine vets are not created equal!!

It still amazes me what i have heard some people say thier vets have told them! There are some great articles of septicemia, diahrrea, and many ther foal ills on the internet. Some of the latest material is available for reading. We try to stay abreast of it all. We always have a bottle of fresh PCN, and another antiboitic Baytril, or something comparable(Broad Spectrum) on hand at the start of every foalin season. If something just does not look right, we will administer PCN as a profalactic just in case. It really pays to educate ones self. Im so glad your little guy is doing OK

Checking the internet. Found this info

When given orally, penicillins may cause GI effects (anorexia, vomiting, diarrhea). Because the penicillins may also alter gut flora, antibiotic-associated diarrhea can occur, as well as selecting out resistant bacteria maintaining residence in the colon of the animal (superinfections). High doses or very prolonged use have been associated with neurotoxicity. Although the penicillins are not considered to be hepatotoxic, elevated liver enzymes have been reported.

According to the Canadian Pari-Mutuel Agency, several trials were conducted, each with a group of four horses, where penicillin G procaine was administered by intra-muscular injection, orally and topically. The concentration of penicillin G procaine was found to decrease below the detection level after 425 hours, 60 hours and 48 hours with intra-muscular injection, oral administration and topical administration respectively. Regulations regarding the use of medications in competition horses vary within disciplines as well as jurisdictions. Appropriate precautions should be taken.

Found this interesting, just sharing
default_wub.png
: :saludando:

I just started reading this thread from beginning to end and am soooo glad that your little boy is pulling through this. Continued prayers and good thoughts for this little guy! Good job!!!! :aktion033:
default_yes.gif
:

(Tried to post this a couple of times...now hope this goes thru)

Sounds like you are doing everything that you can, now it is just keep doing and waiting. Sending healing thoughts and prayers.

:aktion033: :aktion033: been thinking about the little feller as I was cleaning stalls. Keep up the good work mama Mona :bgrin

Charlotte

p.s. something else I was thinking.......about your situation with the lack of good vet assistance.....what about establishing a relationship with a good equine vet or clinic somewhere so that you could call for advice in times of need? You might have to pay a bit for 'consultations', but I'd think that might be a hlep to you at times like this.?????

My personal doctors and vet have told me that 3-5 days on antibiotics is NOT enough to clear up an infection!! It is enough to build resistance and then the problem will come back four times worse than it was in the first place, and I have had personal experience myself with this twice with an illness!! I was told a minimum of 10 days to make sure any bacterial infections were cleared up.

Mona - glad to read your 7:35am update that his temp has come down another degree and that he seems much much better.

No advice from me. Just hugs and prayers - and wishing I could tell you what you should do.

Can't wait until you can post a picture of the lil guy outside running around normally - with his momma.

JJay

We here don't have such a thing as an "Equine Vet" either...but apparently we are much luckier than many, if not most. Although my Vet might not be strictly an equine Vet, and might come to my place after Vetting a herd of cattle...he cares...and he checks, makes calls, asks questions...and has saved two of my foals lives by performing colic surgeries, in his small animal clinic.

As for the oral penicillins goes, I used it three times with my stallion, when he had pneumonia, and several times since for after-gelding. Not, as a long term useage...that, I probably wouldn't recommend. In a case like this, perhaps I would do it every second dose. OR...even better...I would look into a sulfa-based oral medicine, or one of the other oral antibiotics like has already been mentioned.

Latest posts

Back