Sick Colt...LONG story

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mona

Reaction score
I recently bought a mare, heavy in foal, from southern Minnesota.(I am just across the border from northern Minnesota here) She foaled on April 26, before I got her home. I THINK she foaled outside, but I am not 100% sure. I am also unsure as to whether the umbilical cord was treated or not, and if so, how often. I do know she foaled unattended, so perhaps this was overlooked.

The colt was 4 days home when we picked him up on Sunday. We met the seller part way. Mare and foal travelled in a well bedded(with straw) box in the back of a 3/4 ton truck for the first 2.5 hours, and then we transfered them into out mini horse trailer for the remainder of the trip(another 5.5 hours). All seemed OK.

We got home late, after dark, so I put them in the stall overnight. Assuming all was well, I never checked on them all through the night. The next morning, I still assumed all was OK, and I put mom and baby out for several hours in a small pen by themselves. Later that day when I was out that way, I saw the mom looking at me, and I have no idea why, for for some reason, the look just seemd to be telling me she needed my help.(I know...wierd!) So I went through the barn around to that area, and found her little little one laying there sleeping, but shivering slightly. I immediately brought them inand stalled them.

I noticed the colt seemed to be acting strange, in that when he went to nurse, he kind of walked under the mare and just left his head in a natural position, rather than lifting it to nurse. He made it seem like it was too much work to try and get his head adjusted to the proper angle. With my help, I got him to nurse a little, but only a small amount. This had me quite concerned, as he seemed so weak.

I had a bag of "ringers"(IV fluids) here so I took some and injected it under the skin, in case he was dehydrating. I could not get him to suck a bottle even. I mixed up some foal milk replacer, but he wasn't interested.

I did not know if it was due to stress from the trip and him not nursing while traveling, and me not knowing, so he maybe got weak without my knowing there was a problem, and by then it was too late, or if Mom being stressed out had stopped milk production? She is actually a very laid back back, and did not seem at all stressed. Anyway, I have the IV fluids once, gave him Probios yesterday and today, gave him an enema yesterday(just in case), and have given him several dosed of "Nutri-Cal". It is just something I had on hand here, that I thought might help, since it is a high calorie molasses based paste that is intended for dogs and cats. Every 1 to 1.5 hours throughout the night and today, I have watched him nurse and then I would syringe extra milk into him, and then every few hours, I would give him some of the Nutri-Cal. I have just done everything I can think of. He has a fever of 103. My books say a normal foal temps is 99-102. My Pennicillan was expired, so my husband is picking me up some new stuff. The vet said I have done all I can, and to continue doing it, since it does seem to be helping him. I can tell he has gotten a tiny bit stronger, as he resists me more now than he did last night at his worst.

I have not used the milk replacer, as instead, each time I go out, I milk the mare and syringe it into the colt. She has milk, and her bag is not big and tight, so we are keeping it sort of normal, I think, unless she is not producing much milk, but I don't think that is it at all.

When I syringe it into him, I put it in the side of his mouth and express it very slowly. He won't suck it, but he sort of chews it. Sounds like he's grinding his jaw. He also does this other wierd thing where he seems like he is marching on the spot....reminds me of a puppy or kitten nursing, how the "knead" it, but he is standing doing this.

He is not at all active. Most foals are up and walking in the stall alot, or running circles around their Mom...this guy just sleeps, then wakes up and maybe burses for 10-30 seconds or so...usually only sucks one teat, and then he'll just lay down right there, and go back to sleep.

I feel so bad for him, and I am doing all I can. I am hoping once we get this fever broke, that maybe then he will start to show marked improvement.

Does anyone have any idea at all, what this might be, or anything else maybe I can try? At this time, he seems to be getting enough to eat between his own nursing and my additional syringing when he is done, so won't bother tubing at this time.

If he had joint ill, how fast would he die? Do you think he's be dead by now if it started yesterday and has not had any antibiotics?

Any ideas at all on anything?? Thanks!

We had a sick colt like that once..he never had his colostrum..he would just stand there listless..

Vet gave a dextro IV, Banamine and Pen injection..along with Probios.

It sounds to me like your little guy might not gotten enough colostrum..maybe the mare was on Fescue?

We also gave colostrum..But it might be too late now..how about plasma?

Has your vet looked at him at all? Good luck with him Mona!

Oh Mona, I wish I could be of some help. You do have to get that fever to break, hopefully once that happens he will pick up for you. My thoughts and prayers are with you and this little guy.

Try to give him electrolyes in water with a syringe.

Won't hurt to also put in moms water, will encourage eating.

This will really help 100%

Last edited by a moderator:
We had a sick colt like that once..he never had his colostrum..he would just stand there listless..

Vet gave a dextro IV, Banamine and Pen injection..along with Probios.

It sounds to me like your little guy might not gotten enough colostrum..maybe the mare was on Fescue?

We also gave colostrum..But it might be too late now..how about plasma?

Has your vet looked at him at all? Good luck with him Mona!

He is already 6 days old. Don't you think he'd be dead by now if he had not gotten enough colostrum after he was born?? For some reason, I guess I just always assumed they would go pretty quickly if they never got enough colostrum??

No, he has not been seen by a vet. These vets here are "cow vets", and the last time I had such a listless colt, I hauled him all the way up there(80 miles one way), and all they did was squirt some IV fluids under his skin and sent him home. The colt could not even stand! Thankfully, the colt survived!

No I don't think he would be dead yet IF he had some colostrum..the fever points to an infection..he might have picked up a bacteria or virus somewhere sometimes..

StreptoCoccus virus is what ours had picked up.

Oh man Mona, if it is Joint Ill, I would think you would notice some lameness or swelling somewhere....

I think he may have picked up a bug of some sort... in my opinion, I would continue with the antibiotics. We found that a bit of Karo syrup (plain) helps to boost the blood sugar and activity... with a bit of mineral oil to keep him loose IF he needs that.

Good thing in milking the mare.. this foal would not be allergic to her milk would he?? An aspirin in the a.m. and p.m. also helps with the fever - must be real aspirin like Bayer, not tylenol or something else. This worked wonders with our colt a few years ago. You can either dissolve it in water and put in with the karo syrup or stuff it back where his molars are and he will chew it up- follow with syrup to hide the taste (ew!)

We were also directed by the vet to supplement with Gatorade (mine like the orange!!) in between mama's milk.

Keep us posted and hope he does ok... I would be feeding him at least every hour to make sure he stays hydrated enough. (I was feeding mine every 20 minutes round the clock!)

Good luck and hope the little guy will recover!!

He also does this other weird thing where he seems like he is marching on the spot....

This is body language for frustration/stress

OK what I have to offer is just a shot in the dark here. I"m thinking something different here. (as usual, I know)

Mona I'll be willing to bet that he's come down with quite a bug being shipped as a newborn, or actually maybe having foaled outside in cold/wet conditions . I'm thinking pneumonia etc. something along that line has set in. Also are you possitive of the date he foaled? And possibly has the mare NOT been vaccinated prior to his foaling? That could shed some light on what is going on and if he has any immunities at all.

I know when Knight Star foaled he was frozen......shivering like crazy and we had to cover him up really good. I'll be the baby is still cold inside himself you know like when you are running a fever, you will shiver one minute and then sweat the next? That's what I mean. Thinking to hit him up with some serious antibiotics.

I sure hope he recovers very well for you. Good luck Mona. I know you are doing everything.

I would still have a Vet...even a "Cow-Vet", knows how to properly insert an IV. Putting it under the skin?? I just don't see it being of much use there.

Unfortunately, he does sound very much like a colt that belonged to a friend of mine. He did have Joint Ill, was improperly diagnosed, by both she and the stable owner...the Vet wasn't called until too late. the colt lived just over a week.

Please, have the Vets out...I can't think there is nothing they think might have helped without seeing this foal. Have you doused the navel stup at all?? I douse them several times a day for the entire first week, or more.

Best of luck, I hope and Pray that you find the problem, and it is fixable.

I really don't have any idea, but gonna throw out another suggestion, anyway... What about an ulcer? [seems ulcers are the culprit a lot of the time with these little ones - or an ulcer in addition to something else].

Sending get well wishes your little guy's way.

hi, did you contact the other person that had him,? he may have picked up somthing in the other trailer he came in, i feel so bad for you, it must be soo frustrating, you seem to be doing all you can, im sorry im of no help, but ill keep you all in my prayers
default_sad.png

Littlesteppers..yes, I too was thinking maybe an infection, that is why I asked about joint ill. Not sure what else would cause a fever.

HGfarm...he is not showing any lameness or swelling at all. I have been watching very closely for that, and so far, nothing yet. I think if he was alergic to the mare's milk, he would be much worse off than he is now. I can try an aspirin. I have the low dose ones that the docs are now recommending for daily heart use in people. They are equivalent to a baby aspirin, so I guess I could probably give him a whole one?

Marty, thanks for the info about them marching. Yes, I am sure he is surely frustrated with not being able to nurse very well. I am not sure what the conditions were when he was foaled, so cannot speculate on that. But I am sure on the date he foaled. She was not there at the time(she was at work), but he was found the day he was born, and she emailed me right away to let me know. The mare is vaccinated each Spring, and was vaccinated after the colt foaled, so had the immunities in her from last years vaccination only. I also vaccinate that way....I vaccinate each summer, so the foals get what is there when they are born the next year, and I have never had a problem with any becoming ill because of doing it that way, so that is not a concern to me.

SueC...I spoke with the vet....believe me, there is NO sense in having them come out here! I have been dealing with these vets for 25 years already! I KNOW they are limited where large animals are concerned. If only you knew!! What would they do? They would listen to the heart, the guts, take a temp, check gums, ask questions(which they already have). The colt is not labored in breathing, nor does he sound congested. They already asked that. I already answered. They have NO large animal facilities of any type. No equipment, no building. They mainly are set up as a small animal practice and they do farm calls as needed. As for the fluids under the skin, it is to keep them hydrated. It is not an IV(I guess I mis-stated that). It is a bag like is used for IV, but is lactated water(ringers). It is used under the skin to keep the animal from dehydrating. They do not have equipment there for any testing...it all has to be sent down eat or out west for testing. So what can they do that I can't? It's not like I am not in contact with them. They would be here in a flash if they thought there was something they could do! They know themselves that with their lack of equipment and resources they are limited to what they can and cannot do for their clients. There are no other vets around....NONE! They are THE vet. No, I have not put iodine on the umbilical stump. It is dried up, so not much sense. As I said, the colt is already 6 days old.

chandab ...I thought of an ulcer, and that was why I gave the Probios too. He is not acting typlical of the ulcers I have seen. The ones I saw, they laid on their back with their feet in the air, and rolled a lot etc. This little guy is not doing those things.

Thanks to those that have left well messages.

hi, did you contact the other person that had him,? he may have picked up somthing in the other trailer he came in, i feel so bad for you, it must be soo frustrating, you seem to be doing all you can, im sorry im of no help, but ill keep you all in my prayers
default_sad.png
Yes, I contacted her. She said he was fine there. They did not haul in a trailer. They built a box especially to haul this mare and foal in the back of their truck, so no other horses had ever been there. We did not hire haulers, we did the transportation ourselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so sorry Mona, will be sending lots of prayers and positive thoughts to your little one. Please keep us posted!
default_wub.png
:

Nancy

Mona,

There is something wrong with this colts neck.starting about a third of the way down, I think he injured his neck and thats why he is having trouble nursing, probably didn't get what he needed immediately after he was born.

Bonnie

Yes Mona the reason I asked if you were sure of the date of foaling because if it were pneumonia or something like that, the timing would be off eliminating that idea due to incubation period etc. So I tend to say infection of some kind.

So sorry Mona this is going on. I have the same troubles here with the local vets; they cannot help me and have no equipment or resources, brains etc. I can sympathize greatly with you. I'm about ready to take a vet-tech course at the local college here out of pure desperation.

So sorry to hear you are having problems now. It just keeps getting better around here too. I have had 2 dogs ran over today by my other neighbor. One broken leg and one with his foot cut up bad. If it wasn't for bad luck where would I be. And this was too different times today. I'm fixing to run out and stuff towels or something up my mares, you know what, I don't need any more foals born right now with the way things are going around here.

On the other hand how about his eyes and gums? The foal I had that was septic eyes had changed green. That would be something you could rule out if he doesn't have that.

I so understand your vet difficulties--I've been there, done that & know exactly what you mean when you say there is no point in having one of the available vets see him.

My guess would be some sort of infection, quite possibly brought on by the trip home. There was bound to be a certain amount of stress for him on the trip, perhaps he didn't get to nurse as much as he should have & everything combined would leave him more prone to picking up some bug. I'd go with what you're doing, since it does seem to be helping him just a little bit, only my antibiotic of choice would be Uniprim rather than penicillin. It just seems to work better, faster, and I've given it, with the vet's okay, to a foal just a few days old.

Best of luck, and I'll be praying for your little guy!

Oh gosh Mona,

I hope he will be okay? It sounds like you are doing a wonderful job of keeping him going. Prayers to you............

Beth

Latest posts

Back