Shredded paper for bedding?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barnbum

Reaction score
In another post asking about bedding, many said they use paper shavings. That stuck in my head. Today at school, I saw a bag full of paper from the shredder, so I asked if I could have it. They were most agreeable to me taking it and said there's lots more if I want it.
default_laugh.png
So I spread it in the stall of the horse who spreads her manure around the most.

Is this good bedding? Or is shredded paper not shaved paper? Or is it better for hamsters?
default_rolleyes.gif
I guess I'll know more in the morning when I clean stalls... but maybe it won't go through the muck fork easily?

The Paper Shavings I use are actually chopped Yellow Books. The paper is softer and most absorbent. I'd say what you got is long strips of copier paper, which is a coated paper and not as absorbent. It will absorb, just not much and will be harder to clean.

My paper shavings are typically about 1/2" squares of paper, and fluffs up nicely.

We use shredded paper.If your paper is in long shreds--like spaghetti--it will be hard to pick. If is is more like confetti, there shouldn't be any problem. Mine is in long shreds, but we don't pick often. Mostly, we just fork or shovel out muddy spots and poop pebbles. It sure does dry up wet spots.Since our stalls are all dirt floors, we even will open cardboard boxes and put them on wet spots. Sort of our way of recycling. Once it is wet and forked out, it disintegrates so it can be spread like any other manure on the compost pile. Just be careful of staples. There are lots of them in some paper and some people don't take them all out. We are almost anal about them.

Angie

I don't think there are any staples. They take them out I believe. The sizes are about 1/4" by 2"--so not spaghetti. I'll know more tomorrow.
default_yes.gif
They'd never have enough to substitute for shavings, but heck if I use them in a stall now and then, I will.

I don't think there are any staples. They take them out I believe. The sizes are about 1/4" by 2"--so not spaghetti. I'll know more tomorrow.
default_yes.gif
They'd never have enough to substitute for shavings, but heck if I use them in a stall now and then, I will.
I use them all I can. The janitor at our school brings them to my room for me.
default_smile.png

We shredded papers at the bank I used to work at, but we had a big industrial shredder, and more than just paper was shredded, so I wouldn't trust that paper for bedding. but, it sounds like the schools shreds would be suitable.

I checked carefully last night before tuck in and there are no staples and the paper is not coated--we use the cheapest paper that will work with copiers.... so I'm thinking this is a go!

edited to say it absorbs well and it's easy to see it'll compost fast. When shaking through the muck fork it's active and bounces the little walnuts out the top rather than the paper falling nicely through the bottom.
default_rolleyes.gif
But--I'm willing to use it and either put it in Gypsy's stall--which is pretty much striped daily, or in a horse''s stall who consistently keeps a section of bedding dry. It ought to help save a little $$!

Last edited by a moderator:
I checked carefully last night before tuck in and there are no staples and the paper is not coated--we use the cheapest paper that will work with copiers.... so I'm thinking this is a go!

edited to say it absorbs well and it's easy to see it'll compost fast. When shaking through the muck fork it's active and bounces the little walnuts out the top rather than the paper falling nicely through the bottom.
default_rolleyes.gif
But--I'm willing to use it and either put it in Gypsy's stall--which is pretty much striped daily, or in a horse''s stall who consistently keeps a section of bedding dry. It ought to help save a little $$!

and now a days every $$ counts.
default_biggrin.png

My mill offers this:

Hunt Club BeddingThe healthy alternative bedding that creates an all-natural environment for any pet. Composed of corrugated craft material that is dust- free moisture absorbency. Exceptional cushion and comfort and reduces unpleasant and dangerous ammonia odors.

Is that the same as the shredded paper bedding that some of you are using?

Latest posts

Back