Showmanship question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jess P

Reaction score
I am showing my gelding Dusty for the first time in showmanship this year. He will be doing AMHA rated shows. I was curious, do you think I will get marked off for his ears not being clipped but the rest of him being clipped? I have been patiently working with him on accepting the clippers, yet it is at the point where he doesn't like them near his ears even when they are off so I have been desensitizing him each day. I do not think I will be able to clip his ears for his first show, May 21st. Do you think I will be marked off for that?

Showmanship is judged mainly on you. The overall picture of you and the horse is part of it but a small part. I wouldn't let his ears not being clipped stop you from doing a showmanship class.

Amanda

[SIZE=14pt]Showmanship is judging you BUT also how your horse is groomed and presented. Conformation has nothing to do with anything but you will get marked down for not clipping his ears when the rest of him is done. A judge may even muss up your horses mane, you are expected to fix it back otherwise you are counted off if you touch your horse anywhere.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Is it just the clippers he doesn't like, or having his ears touched at all? If you can touch his ears, use a pair of safety scissors to trim them up as best as you can. Much better than nothing. Keep working with those clippers though!

i would get those tiny ear/muzzle clippers by wahl. they only cost about 12.00. they are really quiet and most horses accept these much easier then the big clippers going in the ear. I do think his ears should be clipped for showmanship grooming is a big part of the score

l think in the AMHA it is 40 total points for overall appearance of the horse excluding conformation and if shown in full coat inside of ears long hair on jaw legs and pasterns should be clipped. So yes you'd loose maybe 5 points on the grooming part of it. But that was a few years back my rule book is a little dated l see.

I want to add to something Lyn mentioned, if the judge does mess up your horses mane, in AMHR you are to ask to fix your horses mane first then do it after it is ok'd by the judge.

i would get those tiny ear/muzzle clippers by wahl. they only cost about 12.00. they are really quiet and most horses accept these much easier then the big clippers going in the ear. I do think his ears should be clipped for showmanship grooming is a big part of the score
We used to show a gelding who it was pretty much impossible to touch his ears with the loud clippers. We got those Wahl pocket clippers and they worked great!! I would get a pair of those clippers, IMO.

We did try those small clippers once, they didn't work for him either.

Of course I am still going to show him in showmanship. Showmanship is my favorite class! I am going to continue working on him, if not I will use scissors because he is fine with me touching them.

I would keep desensitizing him touch his ears making noises but if all else fails the da before the show a twitch is an option I don't know how you feel about them but it only distracts him its isnt a great deal of pain. Works for Sweetgrass she will fight you and rear if oyu touch her ears but with the tqitch she falls asleep
default_wink.png
: weird i know
default_rolleyes.gif
: Well Good Luck keep on Desensitizing!!
default_yes.gif
:

when i had my horse it was impossible to touch his ears at all. I watched a video that helped a ton but i can't remember the name....wow i help alot :lol:

I will try to get the name of it, keep on working with him though. A twitch could help you out too.

Your and your horses presentation are very important, the first impression can mean a lot and scruffy ears can really get you over looked. I am a mama who spoils my kids rotten, but for this I would twitch and clip the ears. A neat and clean presentation is what get you the second look.

krisp

Back