Showing (The basics)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YHFF Miniature Horses

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm going to show for the first time ever this year (AMHR, maybe AMHA)and I've only ever been able to watch 1 show and that was just halter classes (that was 2 years ago) and I need some info/advice about showing. I plan to show in a halter class, color class and a driving class (I will only drive at AMHR shows). Right now I have a leather harness with red trim, an all black easy entry cart, a helmet, whip, and a proper show outfit. I will probably mostly show in Youth classes. Do I need to have a show cart to show in or is the easy entry one ok ? I am still searching for show halters, I will probably order one by the end of this week though. My mare that I will use for driving is very skilled and knows the different speeds, follows commands, etc. Which driving class do you think would be best for my first time in the ring? How should I prepare my mare (besides lots of practice)? What exactly will be expected and what do you do in that class? Right know I'm leaning towards pleasure or obstacle, but that depends on if I have to buy a show cart (if I do I may just do the halter classes). Thanks for your time,

(I'm a total newbie when it comes to showing, hopefully I will be able to see a show before showing, but show are limited in my area)

Courtney

*sigh*

What I wouldn't give to have a few kids who want to go to shows with us!! I would gladly teach a Youth the basics and take them to shows with us in exchange for helping us at shows--heck, they don't even need their own horse!! See if you can find someone in your area to mentor you. The various areas of the country we have lived in have active AMHR clubs, and many of them put on seminars to help Youth and Newbies get started showing.

Hey Dr. Pam,

I'm told that I can be very immature...can I come and work with you?

I still think you need to come up to the northwest!

Oh my Susanne--I'd take you in a heartbeat! Bring along Mingus--he says he wants to be a carriage driving horse. I might even let Keith come for a visit :bgrin !

Me, me, me Dr Pam. I wanna come work for you and show your horses!!!

default_smile.png

Now lets talk signing bonus, contract, incentives .....

*sigh*

What I wouldn't give to have a few kids who want to go to shows with us!! I would gladly teach a Youth the basics and take them to shows with us in exchange for helping us at shows--heck, they don't even need their own horse!! See if you can find someone in your area to mentor you. The various areas of the country we have lived in have active AMHR clubs, and many of them put on seminars to help Youth and Newbies get started showing.
OH me too! They'd learn more from you than me but I'd sure like to have that "help" and enthusiasm that youth bring. Too bad that there's not a way to get the interested youth connected with local clubs and mentors. I would guess the hardest part of that would be finding the local "interested" youth!

Sorry, didn't mean to highjack your thread. An easy entry cart would work fine for local shows. If you actually get to the big Nationals you'd want something more like everyone else is using (a "show" cart). As for obstacle the easy entry will work and it's going to depend on how good your horse is at manuvering. The small wheeled "show" carts sometimes have a narrower wheel base so they make the small turns etc. easier.

Good luck. Give it a try.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to intervene, but in driving classes, are you allowed to use voice commands such as walk, trot,etc.? Just asking because I'm training my guy to drive, and I want him going on voice commands only(he's not affected by a whip at all
default_rolleyes.gif
: ).

CvReAgZaYn - Yes, you can use voice commands and sounds in driving, but they should be few and subtle.
default_yes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back