Showing Stallions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frizzle's Gal

Reaction score
I was wondering if there is an age limit or something like that to show a stallion? I am 14 well I'll be 15 by this coming show season and I would be showing a comming 2 year old stallion. Can I do that or are there age restrictions? Thanks for your help!!

You will be fine to show.

According to the AMHA rule book:

No youth 12 years of age and under may show stallionswith the exception of weanling and yearling colts
and

According to the AMHR rule book:

A youth 13 years old and older may show a stallion inopen classes

If you are showing at registry shows you are fine but many local shows require a handler to be 18 to show a stallion I assume for safety reasons.

Oh ok. thank you!
default_saludando.gif

And keep in mind there are no Youth Halter Stallion classes at most shows. I think AMHR still has a Youth Jr. Stallion class for older youth (like you) at Nationals. But you could take your horse in youth performance classes. Although since he'll be 2, you're kind of limited to something like showmanship and halter obstacle. And of course you can show him in the open stallion classes, etc.

Ok thanks so much angel_cowgirl! I never even thought abou showmanship or halter obstacle!

At any AMHA sanctioned show a coming 2 year old stallion if you are older then 12 can be shown in any open height class color and showmenship but he he needs to be 3 years old before he can do obstacle classes. My daughter started showing mature stallions after her 12th birthday and did well..l have no clue what AMHR allows..

but he he needs to be 3 years old before he can do obstacle classes
Actually, thats not true. On page 98 of the current AMHA rule book it says for HALTER obstacle a horse can be no less than 2 years of age. Thus, they must be 2 or older to show in it. Now, yes for driving obstacle they would have to be 3 like any other driving class. But thats why I suggested halter obstacle and showmanship.

And I haven't done AMHR in years (since 2000) so they may have changed it, but at that time I took a yearling in to halter obstacle once. Their book, at the time, said they had to be 1 year of age or older.

Actually, thats not true. On page 98 of the current AMHA rule book it says for HALTER obstacle a horse can be no less than 2 years of age. Thus, they must be 2 or older to show in it.
Wow, thats interesting! I never knew that. Always thought they had to be three. I know that Halter Obstacle wouldn't put too much strain on a young horse's body, and not that I'm questioning the rule book, but can't some Obstacle courses involve a small jump? Just my curiosity speaking...But how does that work out?

I think you will be fine at any amhr/amha rated show, however, toward the end of each season we do our local fair and get an isleway to ourselves (it our almost like our 'local nationals' lol) and put up a huge display and i know at our local show they will not allow anyone under 18 years old to show or handle a stallion of ANY age. As i found out the hard way this past season, i had a youth showing for me to help out in the championship classes and i had two stallions in the grand class and my second stallion couldnt go in because he was being handled by my youth helper. I'm not sure if they would have allowed her to show a weanling or yearling however, as those classes were just combined as general yearlings and weanlings all sexes and height combined. They are pretty strict at open and unrated shows from what i've noticed.

Your fine amha or amhr though
default_smile.png

Actually, thats not true. On page 98 of the current AMHA rule book it says for HALTER obstacle a horse can be no less than 2 years of age. Thus, they must be 2 or older to show in it.
Wow, thats interesting! I never knew that. Always thought they had to be three. I know that Halter Obstacle wouldn't put too much strain on a young horse's body, and not that I'm questioning the rule book, but can't some Obstacle courses involve a small jump? Just my curiosity speaking...But how does that work out?
In AMHA the rules state jumps used in obstacle are to be no more than 12" high.

Jumps are prohibited in AMHR obstacle.

That might be in the rule book l did go look but at all our AMHA sanctioned shows for halter obstacle a horse needs to be 3 years old...l have no idea why just always has been that age..

That might be in the rule book l did go look but at all our AMHA sanctioned shows for halter obstacle a horse needs to be 3 years old...l have no idea why just always has been that age..
Hmm, well if that's what it says in the prize lists for our shows, it is wrong - we must follow the AMHA rule book, which says age 2 for Halter Obstacle.

Kim it's to bad this came up after the meeting l find it very odd it's been 3 all these years...l hope now it can be changed to age 2 for next year because that would give the 2 year olds another class to compete in..

Dawn, I will mention to the show coordinators to make sure that the prize lists say 2 years old rather than 3, just to make sure everyone knows for sure that they can enter 2 year olds in Halter Obstacle.

I was wondering if there is an age limit or something like that to show a stallion? I am 14 well I'll be 15 by this coming show season and I would be showing a comming 2 year old stallion. Can I do that or are there age restrictions? Thanks for your help!!
this was just discussed at Convention and I believe the new rule FOR MINIS IS (and I think it may not be a new rule but a clarification or re written version of the old rule)

No youth may show a stallion in any youth Halter class with the only exception being at Nationals in the Jr stallion class for 13-17 youth.

A 13-17 youth may show a stallion in a youth performance class - meaning driving, versatility, obstacle, hunter jumper

A youth 13-17 may show a stallion in a open halter class or performance class.

it was clarified I am almost positive (this was the first day of meetings so hard to remember and my notes are still packed) that showmanship does not count as a performance class in this instance when relating to stallions and youth classes but I am not 100 percent sure on that

Lisa, what you said was absolutely what was decided in the committee meeting. It still has to go to the board though before it is written in stone.

Youth Showmanship and Youth halter are the exception that they cannot show a stallion except like you said, the Youth 13-17 Jr Stallion Halter class.

This is AMHR, and yes this is more a clarification of an existing rule as before it just said performance and there was question as to what a performance class was.

Latest posts

Back