Showing question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RescueMini

Reaction score
This will be my first year going to AMHR shows. I was just reading the rule book when I came across a line stating that any eye injury/blindness would disqualify a horse unless a vet says it was from an accident. My mare is missing her right eye. She was a rescue and it was surgically removed.

Do I need to have the exact vet that removed her eye sign a note saying that it was an accident, or can I just have my normal vet sign one? Since it is so obvious that her missing eye was from an accident, do I even need a note at all?

Thank you!

It might be difficult to get a vet to say it was due to an accident unless he was the one that treated her at the time she lost the eye. There are other causes for eye loss, including infection. If you can get the original vet to sign the note, probably would be best.

Ok, thank you! Is there anything specific that the note has to say?

You could contact the AMHR and ask them what you'll need. Good luck! =)

I spoke with the AMHR show dept. They require a licensed veterinarian to write a statement proclaiming that he/she examinwd the horse and verify that any loss of sight was due to a traumatic injury and not congenital (horse born that way). The office said thst no special form is required, however the vet's name, license # and phone # must be on the statement and you must msil that in with your horses papers and show entry form. I have a stallion who competes in huntet and jumping classes with a scar on his eye from a corneal abrasion due to a trainer lacing him with a lead. With proper documentation I have never had a problem. I

Latest posts

Back