Showing in halter

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grace67

Reaction score
Having owned minis and shown a little for the past year I think I'd really like to try my hand at showing in halter at the breed level (we have more AMHA shows than AMHR in my area). I have two geldings, both experienced and successful show horses with their former owners who excel in driving and performance events but neither is what I would call a "halter" horse in terms of conformation and movement. I'm still very new to the world of minis and not really clear on what it takes to own and show a successful halter horse. Looking at more of the local/regional level, not even close to national level and might never be at that level.

How do I begin this new journey? Do I need to be with a trainer? Do you leave your horse with the trainer or is it possible to keep a horse conditioned and fit at home? I prefer geldings, do you find an already seasoned halter gelding and how long can a horse be competitive in halter? I wouldn't want to limit a horse just to a particular class but I'd like to find a horse who might be somewhat competitive in halter and then move on to some of the performance classes.

Thanks for any thoughts and advice!

Have you tried showing halter at the local level? That may be one way to start if you are already showing. If its a more laid back show you could ask to speak with the judges and get their opinion of what could be fixed with your horses.

This is my opinion only, but I have heard people say that it is harder to show an "older" horse in senior geldings, mares, stallions because if your horse is 10 you will be going up against a 3 year old, which many times can be difficult to beat. Depending on the trainer horses aren't handled as much to give them the more "hot" look in the arena which is not as desirable if you have a performance horse. Diet and exercise is super important. It seems that halter horses don't get a lot of "play" time and are stalled a lot to keep their coat the right color and so they don't eat too much or get hurt. Personally they seem high maintenance, but that's just my opinion. Don't get me wrong I love a good looking halter horse but it takes a lot of work.

Another thing you may want to consider---If the horse is razored or clipped close to the skin having a harness on for too long can rub their skin raw, which would be a problem if you have a horse that is showing in both.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks fourluckyhorseshoes that's exactly the kind of information I'm after. I have shown one of my geldings locally just in schooling shows and in a mixed halter class of both full sized and mini horses and he did pretty well taking third out of a dozen horses, he is the better conformed horse of the two. It may be more worthwhile for me to stick with him for the next year or so and just show at the local level and for fun as its always irritated me a little how full sized halter horses are kept like hot house flowers with less than nice ground manners.

I think the mini breed show halter classes are probably just as competitive as their full sized counterparts and is it usually trainers in the majority who are handling and showing?

I have my horses with a trainer for this season and it's a major financial investment so that's something to consider. A good trainer will honestly evaluate your horses and tell you if it's worth your while trying to campaign them which is important too. I think if you have the time and the interest, it would be great to start showing yourself at the local level and have some fun. If you're searching to purchase a horse to show and you're still new, I'd have someone you trust help evaluate the horse you want to buy. Showing is awesome and lots of fun and I think you'll enjoy it.

Trainer or not will depend on how far you want to go. I bought a very nice 2yr old boy and had a local guy show me how to handle him at halter. He literally "kicked butt" at the local levels with me showing him but at the Pinto World or Nationals - zip! That's where you need a trainer and a trainer's opinion. Most trainers will tell you if your horse will be able to place in those big shows or not. Also a seasoned trainer will often be able to "get more out" of your horse than you can. For some reason the "hand that feeds" doesn't always get the respect and attention as the trainer does. For instance the local guy that worked with me could totally ignore my little man and the horse would still stand and "show" to him. For me, the boy would sometimes figit or not give me his attention.

Whoever said a 10 yr rarely beats a 3 yr old is correct. Stands to reason if we have more and more trouble keeping our bodies fit as we age that a horse does too. So a younger horse will almost always looks leaner and more fit than an older one. There are exceptions to this however.

My advice would be to look for a nice, well bred, 1 or 2 yr old to show at halter for a year or two. Then work with that horse to develop them into your performance horse. I would suggest, if you're not someone accustomed to judging mini horses, that you take someone who is along with you to make the purchase or at least help with your decision.

The first thing you should ask yourself is why do you want to show halter.

Besides competing and winning it isn't really that fun just to practice "squaring up" (just my opinion) compared to driving or jumping and if you decide not to stick with it it may seem like a waste.

And as you asked, it does seem like there are a lot of trainers in the halter classes, but you can always show in Amateur classes or AOTE (if you train yourself).

There has been previous threads regarding showing halter, I found this one, but you can search the forums for yourself.

http://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/index.php?showtopic=132230&hl=%2Bshowing+%2Bhalter&do=findComment&comment=1524369

You may also want to get this book (I haven't read it, but the reviews look good)

http://www.amazon.com/Training-Showing-Miniature-Halter-Horse/dp/1887932631

Make no mistake, my horses are far, far from "champion" or "successful" halter horses (They're more of my lovable performance horses- well.. one of them is.. the others are just lazy). However, I'm in my 12th year of showing minis, and I definitely think small, local, preferably county fairs, are the best way to start. My horses never went under training... we attend about 7 shows every year (only one AMHA show) and my seasoned gelding never forgets what to do. Although it has taken many years, he just squares up when he gets in the ring, but has problems keeping his ears up. That would be my biggest suggestion- keep your horses attentive, and NOT bored. Of course, in a LOT of shows( especially local) it depends on the judge- as many aren't AMHA qualified... But you should definitely try it out. You never know how far you'll go!
default_smile.png

I do not find any need to be with a trainer...there is much more pride in doing it yourself! I have only ever put one horse with a trainer and that was simply due to being totally unhandled before I got him and needed someone with experience and time! It was also the two most expensive months ever LOL!!! Even without a trainer, an amateur or youth showing can and will place well if you are willing to learn and work hard at it! I would find a nice yearling colt or gelding with the qualities you want that not only has the conformation to do well in the Halter ring but that you can later train for performance as well, there are several outstanding colts with conformation and movement that are reasonably priced if you shop around. You will learn so much every time you show, watch others in the ring, how are their horses standing compared to yours, different grooming techniques, ect. When practicing at home keep the training sessions short for the halter practice as they will get bored really fast and dont over use bait as they will eventually ignore it if they see something too much.

If you can, go to some breed shows and just watch thehalter classes. Pay close attention to the horses enterd in the classes and keep an eye on who wins and what they look like. Ask lost of questions too. Often spectators follow the circuits and are happy to chat horses with interested parties. I learn a lot at shows just by watching what is going on and by asking those people who have been doing it for a long time. You do not have to be with a trainer to compete, but professional advice is not a bad thing when showing at the breed/ rated level. Perhaps you could seek out lessons in showmanship too, the trainer/instructor will be able to teach you about show horses and about how to condition/show them. Look through the mini magazines. MHW and the Journal are full of the top horses in the industry right now. That shoud provide an excellent resource in researching the top bloodlines and trainers right now as well as the preferred "in" or popular types of horses right now. As some other people have asked; how seriously do you want to get with competiotion? In my area, the open shows have some mini classes, including halter, and many color breed organizations have mini halter classes at their open shows. Halter classes usually play a huge role in the breeding world too. The top winning horses that posess the ideal traits are the ones winning halter classes. Obviously people breeding performance horses look to the winners of that field as well. But it may prove helpful to you to locate breeders in your area, contact them and inquire about the horses that they have available and pick their brains a little. When I sell a horse, not only do I ofer a support newtork to the new buyer but I provide all of the info that I can to help the buyer and their new horse achieve success. If a breeder does not care to give you pointers or suggest what the horse may be a prospect at or has accomplished already, it may be wise to look elsewhere. Obviously the breeder/ seller won't train or coach you for free, but aksing them to "sell" you the horse and describe in detail his/her positive attributes is not asking too much. You can search sale horses in many databases based on skill level too. You could decide on your price range budget (remember the budget must include what you are willing to spend on training if any, show fees, tack, vetting, registry work if any and other show related expenses as showing at the rated level is expensive) and select a seasoned show horse that has been there, done that and proven his/herself a halter winner. Or you could buy a young or green prospect, train and practice showing at the local level until you are ready to go to a breed show. Always consult the rule book of the organization you are showing with too. That will have info on how long/short your bridal path must be,forelock and other grooming requirements (color hoof polish, hair slicked back, clipping and razoring techniques) etc. You want to make sure that you meet the requirements for the class at the very least as that can cost big points in the ring and make you seem unprepared to the judge if not correct. I personally hate to see horses with raw razored faces, butchered bridal paths and shaved crests, it looks painful and like it was a shortcut for proper nutrition/care/grooming. I also hate to see sunburned white markings on the horses from where they were clipped close and oiled up for shine. Just something to think about at an outside show
default_smile.png
. Good luck, hope you find a show horse and enjoy competing. I'm sure you'll do great!

Back