Showing geldings

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep! Because horses need a job and it's fun! I've had everything from a Super G gelding to the Shetland gelding I have now. Most mares who do great in the ring retire to be bred, and many stallions, too,,, but a gelding can keep improving.

There are lots of incentive programs... ASPC/amhr has the Super Gelding and Super G...

Given the choice, I would only show geldings. The horse in my avatar is a yearling gelding that is on his way to Nationals and World. He is nominated in the Gelding Incentive in AMHA and I will enter him in the Super Gelding in AMHR. Geldings are super, more stallions should be geldings.

All of my horses are geldings! I agree with minimomNC, more stallions should be geldings
default_smile.png
I just think they have the sweetest personality. I've shown a really sweet mare and helped take care of a nice stallion one time, but if i had to choose, i'd pick a gelding any day <3

Five of my six minis are geldings. The reason why? They have the male "physicalness" and boldness but without the hassle of dealing with breeding behaviors. Geldings are the most reliable of your three choices (gelding, mare or stallion). They are most likely to "wake up in the same world" everyday. I still care about bloodlines- it tells you alot about what you can expect from them conformationally and disposition wise.

love my gelding! picked him specifically to show based on his temperament, trainability and stellar show record. hoping to enjoy a great show season with him next year along with my other new gelding who will arrive in two weeks!

LOVE my geldings! The fella in my avatar is a gelding! My "A" show horse is a gelding. My ASPC horse, is, yup: a gelding!

We don't get to show much - but we only own geldings. I love them and they are great for my girls to work with.

Barbara

My 4 geldings are the backbone of our show string :) And parades, visiting children, etc!! Then there are the jr geldings and ..... Yep, we love them!!

We are not showing any geldings this year, but our first mini, SRF Masters Touch (Cowboy) was shown to his Pinto Championship a couple of years ago and also shown in AMHA shows. Our 2012 colt OTM Sure Shot (Clyde, currently a finalist in a Dressage Today photo contest) will be gelded very soon and shown next year in AMHR & Pinto shows as a gelding. We hope he will become our next all-around mini, driving horse extraordinaire, and a good ad for our farm. We are already using him with the 4-Hers, who are not allowed to work with full grown stallions. We have long range plans to geld our stallion SRF Buckshot so we can also use him for the 4-Her's. He is already green broke to drive and has his Pinto Championship, with points in hunter and trail in addition to the required halter points.

At our shows up here the biggest classes would be the gelding classes..

I had a mini gelding and he was so sweet and level headed! Never bit, kicked, nothing. He was just a sweetie! Then we sold him and got a mare and she is a sweetie too but she does have a little tiny attitude. Ha ha

Geldings are wonderful. Great to own and with none of the hassles stallions and mares can often present. We have also shown all our geldings. Through the years, we have also gelded all of our colts before sale, except three whom we thought would go on to be stallion prospects. Many breeds have gelding incentive etc. programmes. I wish more people would stop selling all colts whole. So few end up really being stallion quality, to further any breed in a productive manner.

Lizzie

We just bought one of our first minis back and hope to show him with the Grandkids nx year. He was the second mini we ever bought and we gelded him at four and he lived in Colorado for three years. He has been home since Sunday and his attitude never changed. it is like he never was gone that long. Still our Snotty Scotty...

Yes I show geldings!!!!! I have a breeding program, but I believe in gelding when it is appropriate. I have gelded my MP (HOF) boy and love that he is able to still show and he is just wonderful to show and drive. I geleded my first born ASPR colt last year and can't wait to drive him next year (his first year out was this year driving, he has his HOF in ASPR Halter), and I just let go of my Tom Tom to a wonderful youth, he was the 2011 ASPC Classic Stallion Yearling National Champion and I brought him home and gelded and gave him away this year in the Chance of Love Essay to a new youth ASPC member. I will have a few more gelded this fall.

ALL that are gelded are entered in the ASPC/AMHR/ASPR/NSPPR Super Gelding Program for 2012!!!!!

Geldings are great to show!

I show both geldings and mares. I currently show a yearling filly and her 2 year old brother, gelding. Both have the same temperments through and through but my gelding IS SO much easier to show and train.

I am a gelding gal!

Love our geldings we currently have 3 but it could turn to 4 easy! We have won many World titles with them, they are a joy and all can be turned out together
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back