Showing foals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlearab

Reaction score
Ok I made up my mind on the colt going to be show.

I decided to take Jack! Today was the dead line for sign up and Little Bears papers are not back so I guess it was made for me
default_yes.gif
:

Been working with the filly I'm taking Muffin on leading.

So far it's not real great. She's alittle diva, but I do let it bug me. I had 5 kids I look at it as taking a 2year old for walk... attention spans are not long :bgrin

How soon do you clip?? How on earth do you get them to stand still and line up...
default_wacko.png
:

Any advice on how to work a foal into showing would be great!!

PATIENCE. Clipping is usually pretty easy if you go slow and are gentle. And make sure you have a helper who can hold the foal if needed. I would get her used to a show halter with chain just so she doesn't freak out on you the day of her class. I would also (provided she already knows how to lead) work on her trotting with you. You'll need someone to help move her along as well to start. And finally, don't expect any of this hard work to represent itself in your class! She's going to rear, paw, jump around, and may even flip herself over. Don't worry, this is all normal when showing weanlings! :bgrin

As far as the show halters, I got my guy the little leather chin piece so he didn't have to deal with the chain (he's 2 months now and was also shown at 3 weeks). Also, a lot of hands on patting, scratching etc seems to help keep them a little calmer as it's a familiar thing.

I would clip about a week prior and then touch up the day before the show.

We also have prefered using a chin strap over a chain on the show halters.

At local shows, no one expects the foals to behave perfectly or to set up like the adults. By Nationals, yes - then weanlings are expected to set up.

The important thing is having your foal know how to lead. Then you can lead them through the "paces" and line them up. Once you are in a line-up, many folks will crouch down to the foal's level and give them scritches to keep them calm. Expect a lot of whinnying and jumping around, though!

Weanling classes are always popular with the audience because everyone loves babies and everyone expects the unexpected with them! :bgrin

MA

I've been showing a friends foal this year, as foals and yearlings are together here and she was busy with her yearling. He is the EASIEST horse to show, he's 3 months now, obviously the mare is in the class with him, not that he cares. He will stand out for the judge on his own once he is standing well, and he does it naturally, I 'scratch' him with my show cane, I rub down his neck between his legs etc,,, he just stands there ! The foals heads are clipped at a couple of days old, and re-clipped, so he was great at that as well, on his legs, Mandy clipped and I rubbed like crazy with the show cane again !!
default_yes.gif
:

He has taken 2 reserve championships this year !! Out of all the winners for the mini's, he's a stunner !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty much agree with all that's been said.

Depending on the color, I usually clip my foals about three days prior to the show.

Mine USUALLY lead very well at home and setting up is a challenge even with a weanie that's been weaned. They are antsy and want to socialize, but having them have somewhat of a trusting relationship with you will help to comfort them.

All in all, you need to be sure your halter fits decently and is sturdy enough to handle the little one running out and hitting the end of it, and the straps are a good idea. Chains are just not necessary on a weanie, and are spooky to them as well. Minimal is the word for show prep, IMHO. Some weanies don't even get hoof black or razoring, etc. All depends on their age and how they are handling everything.

Oh, and TONS Of hair gel for the mohawk mane. *LMAO*

Liz

:aktion033: YAY! I'm glad you're bringing a colt to show too. At least I know I won't be the only one there with a weanling colt. We can deal with the crazy little things together! This'll be my first time ever showing a weanie. I am excited even though he is pretty wild! Are you going to show any in the mare and foal class? Do you know of anyone else bringing horses in?

Also, these leather chin straps sound like a good idea to me. Where can I order one from?

Yes I'm jumping in with both feet and taking a colt AND a filly.
default_wacko.png
: I sent in the forms yesterday and now I'm beginning wondering if I'm over or should I say under my head here! :lol: They are both very friendly, but the little filly is a real diva. She well walk right along side, but when you put that halter on it "on way lady.... my way" It's going to be fun!!!

I have the filly and mare in "mare and foal class" they are both red duns and a almost perfect match! I also put the mare in color class. And the filly in mare of 2006.

The colt is just in the colt class. He does not match his dam at all. She is choc silver pinto and he a very min palomino pinto.

I'm also taking my 2 year stallion in model stallion, 2 year old stallion and color class. He won 4th last year in yearling class and was GC in color.My kids are taking their 3 year old mares, one an A the other B. The younger one is also doing youth mare, color and obstacle halter.

Seems like allot, but when there is only one show a year, I feel we should do as much as we can. If it too small they might stop that one too :no:

I believe Michelle is bringing a couple of foals and maybe her GMB stallion and I hope her yearling filly Grace.

I'm looking for the leather chin straps. Sounds like a very good idea, chains seems too harsh on tiny faces
default_wub.png
:

I really wish there were more shows on ND. It would be so much fun to do more. But with the dairy farm and all the other cattle to make hay for I just can't go out of state.

It sounds like you'll be busy! I know what you mean though about this being your only show and doing as much as you can. I am kicking myself for not getting my geldings ready to go - they are so much fun to show! I was under the impression the mare and foal class is based on conformation mainly, not matching coloring between the two horses. I hope it's not because I'm bringing a black mare and her sorrel pinto baby
default_wacko.png
: Oh well, I am going to have fun. Let me know if you find those leather chin straps. I think I'm going to need one!

Latest posts

Back