Showing Experince?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MDMminis

Reaction score
I've trained a few horses to set up and such but i've never shown before and i wen't to 4-h and due to limited time i could only watch from the stands and never showed. Also my group was useless a slug could of taught me more than they did so i learned everything by watching others and asking some questions reading etc. But i'm not sure if i should start with an older more experinced miniature or a fresh un-trained one and work with it like Copper?

I'm sure i could get Copper in a ring sooner or later but i'm not sure if its best that i start taking him in with no showing experince. I was going to take my 17yr.old AQHA gelding because the lady i bought him from said he's been in fair for 5yrs but he won't set up or anything for me. He's a royal pain my 2yr.old sets up better than him and he doesn't even know he's doing it lol.

But my 2yr.old won't trot in hand yet so scratch him, Copper won't let me touch him yet, my 17yr.old is to lazy to even attempt a trot, and my 1yr.old needs ALOT more ground work before standing before a judge. Would it be worth the money to buy something that has already shown and placed, or would it be better to learn with something with no experince?
default_unsure.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:
If it were me, i would start with a nice sr gelding (3+ yrs) that is at least started into halter skills so you can learn along with him. I really think after you show Coco this month you will understand what im talking about and no, he is not nor ever will be for sale just for future reference :bgrin.

Really you dont have to break the bank, lease a quality gelding. You dont have to dish out thouthands of dollars. Just lease w/ option to buy and you can see if he works for you and it really would be worth it. Honestly you will be so much happier with a sr gelding pony or mini who is calm and level headed. I think copper in a year or two would calm down for you after being gelded but he could go balistic at shows, my royal is like this. Calm at home and will do anything asked of him. Get him to the show area and hes like a child in a candy store lol, you just never know with some of these boys. Had plans to show harley at the fair this yr in a yearling colt class ....scratched that class bc i thought about it long and hard and i'm not going to risk what i have a feeling would happen (him flip or loose control in the ring). You have to think of whats best for you and the horse.

So i say older more experienced gelding for now. Dont rush it either, think about what you want. What color? Do you want araby features or qh features ...what features do you like? Do you want to drive? Jump? Show history? Height? Age? Miniature or shetland? Temperment? Balance, structure ..?

These are all things to think about before buying a nice older gelding, dont just jump at the first sr gelding. Find one you really like even if you have to wait months. You'll find that horse. If copper is that horse then thats your choice, we cant make that one for you.
default_smile.png

G'night

Leeana H.

Oh come you let me show Coco and think i won't fall in love lol he'd probablly fit in the back of my mini van :p. Yeah i think i was jumping the gun on Copper the reason i wanted him because i thought he was eligable for ASPC and he's not and it will cost $87 to register his NSPR.

I'll start looking for older geldings but until then i guess i'll just bump around with your guys hehe. Yeah i'm hoping i'll learn something out of showing Coco besides embarrased myself. My mom said he's just a baby what skills could he know
default_rolleyes.gif
: thats kind of the problem lol. I wanted him because i thought he would make a good stud but seeing how he can't be registered with a breeding Assc.
default_sad.png

Thanks

I always say a beginner should start out with a nice senior horse (preferrably a gelding or mare... and you can get a gelding that has a show record for a VERY reasonable price so I would recommend that if you're on a budget as mares are going to be more expensive for something show quality). A horse that knows what it's doing will help you out a lot... it will help ease frustration from just the handling aspect (it should already know how to trailer, clip, tie... will be good to stand around at a show all day and not stress you out by trying to get it to settle down)... and in the class you will already be nervous about showing and an unbroke halter horse jumping around, not setting it's feet, embarassing you in front of the judges by refusing to trot or by biting you or kicking you in the leg or laying down and rolling ... that would make showing not as "fun" and you need to start out with it being FUN and something you can at least DO!

You are going to have so much fun showing, but start out with a horse that can help you. It's challenging enough to show a horse that is GOOD at it.

Andrea

I said give me advice not give me a heart attack about what would happen O_O lol. If it layed down or something i'd wet myself scream and run out of the ring while a bunch of people watch. Ok bad imagine
default_unsure.png
: this lady wanted to buy Copper for $300 and i haven't even got him yet? I either get something with more experince or keep Copper because i don't have the money to buy a $300-$500 pony and work with it etc.

I was really hoping to go next year but if i keep Copper i don't think he'll be ready because he isn't a calm pony and it will stress me -bad patience poster- lol. I'd rather not look like an idiot when i've never showed before :no:.

Young horses are unpredictable. I had a mini filly that was a yearling... her second show she was TIRED and CRANKY for her afternoon class... she wouldn't walk towards the judge and finally laid down and started thrashing. I got her up... she was covered in dirt (a pinto!)... I was sooooo embarrassed and just stared at the judges. I finished my class but it was horrifying. Just a funny memory now :bgrin

Andrea

O_O... i'm not getting funny vibes from that
default_sad.png
. I've never shown and that didn't help i can just pictures me turning red as an apple and turn into a brick lol. I'm hoping my first show will go smooth and fun etc, "HOPE"
default_wacko.png
:

Young horses are unpredictable. I had a mini filly that was a yearling... her second show she was TIRED and CRANKY for her afternoon class... she wouldn't walk towards the judge and finally laid down and started thrashing. I got her up... she was covered in dirt (a pinto!)... I was sooooo embarrassed and just stared at the judges. I finished my class but it was horrifying. Just a funny memory now :bgrin

Andrea
That's almost as good as the yearling Arab filly that got her first heat during a Class A rated show and locked up in the arena. She was in the middle of a class and just locked up, refused to move and it was all the owner could do to get her out of the arena and back to her stall. [i worked for the owner and she said it was the first time that had ever happened to her in about 40 years of showing Arabians.]

Good thing he's not a filly lol, that would be a little embarrasing. Hehe..

Good thing he's not a filly lol, that would be a little embarrasing. Hehe..
Ah but boys can be just as bad..................I wasn't a witness but was told about a stallion at a show a year or so ago that was "humping" its handler :new_shocked: .............NOW that would be embarassing :bgrin

Ahh yes the humping horse.. sigh.. you know I am sure he was a nice pony in fact I think I slightly remember he was a nice pony but really what sticks out in my mind now and forever will be that the trainer/handler and farm for that matter brought a colt that was so out of control with hormones he "humped" his handler more then once... :new_shocked:

Latest posts

Back