Showing and Feed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magic Marker Minis

Reaction score
I have a question. At what age do you recommend showing your miniature? I've heard of people showing weanlings, with mixed results. Also what do you feed them? What kind of exercise, since weanlings and yearlings are too young to lunge?

Right now we are feeding our yearlings Purina Miniature Horse and Pony. In our opinion , this has showen the best results on our horses.

We used to just free lunge our yearlings....nothing strict.....And made sure they were given a 14% feed, plus orchard grass hay.

When we showed weanlings we just fed them good quality feed and no special exercise. A strict exercise program isn't good

for growing bones, IMO.

Our favorite feed was Strategy or Equus Senior, believe it or not....

The majority of the shows here are yearling classes, so i believe they must be over 6 months and obviously born the year before lol. Ive not seen a mare and foal class, but there are ones that exist.

The majority of the shows here are yearling classes, so i believe they must be over 6 months and obviously born the year before lol. Ive not seen a mare and foal class, but there are ones that exist.
Weanling classes at AMHR Nationals here in the US are huge, since many of them also compete in the Futurity classes. We also have classes for broodmares (must be "wet") and a "group" class for mare & foal. I have shown babies as young as 7 weeks - I bring the mare along with the foal to the show. The mare goes bonkers while the baby is out of the stall, but everything settles down immediately as soon as that baby is back in with her.

Most of our show experience with foals is at open shows with both our Shetlands and our Shetland Xs (plus 1 arab and 1 arab/hackney pony). Sometimes the mare & foal were right at our trailer and sometimes I had stalls at the facility the show was held at. In all cases, the mare was shown in riding classes and the foals were either held outside the ring, left at the trailer with another foal or paired up in the stall.

Right from day one our foals were handled and both led away from and back to the mare. When the foal was held, the mare was often led away from and back to the foal. I often had not just our 3 daughters right there with me, but also the children of clients who visited the vet clinic. I leased the 5 acres behind the vet clinic for 7 years and didn't take long for children to realize there were PONIES behind the screen of trees
default_smile.png
. So, the babies were touched, brushed, led about and "played with". There were 2 years in a row when I'd have as many as 8 kids out there and they'd each have a baby as young as 1.5 weeks old following them at a walk & trot on a lead line. They played games such as Green Light/Red Light and who could get into the trailer the fastest (those were the best darn loading ponies I've ever owned - anyone know how I can get kids out here now to play with our babies???).

OR the babies were following mama as they were ridden. That was the exercise. Foals were hauled w/ mama and shown as early as 12 days of age (in one case) and then 2 to 2.5 months old and then a couple were a bit older than that. One of our first purebred Shetland fillies was doing very well when a horse foal was orphaned at just a couple of weeks of age. So at 2 months of age, Pixie was weaned from her dam and taken 2 miles down the road and put into the stall with the orphan baby. She brought the baby's interest back into the world and stayed with the filly for 3 or 4 months. At the time we brought Pixie back home, she could walk under the other filly w/o ducking!! LOL.

Frosty was born on the 29th of January and this is 2 miles from our pasture. He was led up (by me - Magic didn't tolerate ponying a baby off of her). This was during 'Dira's riding lesson. The first show is the 26th of March (no pics of Frosty at the show).

2a58.jpg

Blizzard was born the 27th of January.

aecc.jpg

Spirit (the tiny "sleepy" silver pinto colt) is 12 days old... During part of the show he stayed in the cab of the truck in front of the air conditioner as it was 110* during the hottest part of the day.

1ddc.jpg

When our daughters were pretty much leaving/on their own/going to college/marrying - I got back into the purebred shetlands in 2009. In 2010, GG went with her dam to our driving lessons every Tuesday. The first one - she was 19 days old. In 2012, I hauled 5 ponies to draft horse events - 3 mares and 2 foals of two of the mares. I haven't hauled babies like that since - might later this year, but don't know... Right now, dealing w/ lots of family emergencies - seems there's been one each month since December
default_sad.png

June 29th - Bit, Bell & Bell's filly - GG.

10jun29bebi445.jpg

3 August 2010 -

10aug3be826.jpg

Shamrock was born the 13th of March while I was on the road taking 3 ponies to different trainers and meeting the 4th pony for the first time.... Classy was born the 29th of March (I was at home! but missed the birth by about 30 minutes).

12apr14ncwhma409.jpg

I fed mare and foal feed(s) - to both the mares and their foals. As soon as a baby showed interest in his dam's feed, he had his own tiny bucket (usually less than a week after birth). When the baby didn't finish it, mama was allowed to. I fed Southern States feed (Legends, I think) then. Currently I feed Nutrena Safe Choice Original (pellets) and give the mares Mare + supplement both during the pregnancy and after they foaled while nursing.

I don't have a lot of pics (none of the other kids w/ our babies
default_sad.png
).

When I was at both Shetland Congress and AMHR Nationals in 2012, the same year classes for foals were huge (to me). The same for the Shetland Congress in 2013. I was amazed at the number of babies hauled to the show(s) - many from out of state (OK & IA in 2012, IA in 2013). Some were with their dams and some were weaned before being hauled to those shows.

Here are pics of Star (1/2 hackney/arab pony filly) in 2001. The day she was born.

389b.jpg

22 June - practicing for the show.

9cb3.jpg

24 June at the show.. The dam(s) of Star and the colt in front of her (Arab) are in the barn (green building in front of the colt) in adjoining stalls.

daf1.jpg

15 July - just taking body shots ... I think I took 2 rolls of film to get 2 decent shots! I don't think I ever body clipped the babies for the shows we went to. I just "cameo" clipped them (head and neck). The yearlings (in 2000 and 2001, I was regularly hauling 8-10 ponies to shows) were body clipped over their bodies, but not all of their legs were completely "de-furred"... Just kinda trimmed down.

642d.jpg

There are so many photos that I took that aren't on the computer or on line. One of these days I will work on getting some of them scanned into the computer and uploading...

Pic of Skye ponying Blizzard from Chaunter. Blizzard is 11 days old. He was ponied from our pasture to the barn for Skye's riding lesson. He was held during part of the lesson, then turned loose for part of it.

498f.jpg

and cameo clipped before the show in March (but don't have a date on this photo so not exactly sure when it is...)

90fe.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back