Show Your Hay Outside

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WolfLady

Reaction score
When you have hay outside for your minis How do you have it set up? Thanks to all

I know you want pictures but I cannot post one here that is not on our web site......... Our dry lots have runs ins & nice overhangs where it stays dry. At least once a week I sweep the ground there to remove all of the loose dirt. We place our hay on the ground in several piles underneath the overhangs. The reason I sweep is because we have an alfalfa mix. I feel that they might pick up too much dirt trying to get the last bit of alfalfa bits....... We also have some small gravel in our dry lots & we do not throw the hay there as again I am afraid they might pick up some small gravel or grit. I also keep an area swept in our stalls because I won't throw the hay on the bedding either. Some people call me paranoid but I am a "stitch in time saves nine" person - prevention now - won't need a cure later.

Last edited by a moderator:
For my three yearlings, I have a round bale feeder; it's a sheep-sized metal feeder we picked up at an auction. It works great for the minis. They don't spread their hay around and it keeps them from pooping on their feed. It's in three sections; I have two connected and that section is up against a fenceline and the third piece is up against another fenceline. I also have a feeder I made for my stallion and my other mare is currently getting her hay on the ground as her feeder is broken (need to fix it).

I don't feed anything on the ground here-TOO MUCH SAND!!I use hay BAGS in their run in sheds on windy&rainy days and on nice days we have long feeders(BEHLEN BRAND) which have a curved bottom for holding feed and a nice hay rack on top.We have small holes drilled in the bottom to drain out water.There is not so much wasted hay since they are not walking, peeing or pooping on hay on the ground.It works for me.Some of the racks where I have several horses in 1 field are 10 feet long.Others for a single horse or 2 that get along very well are only 5 feet long.I have been using these trough feeders with hay rack for over 15 years.

We feed rounds in a fenced in allyway 24/7 the others are blocked of with 3 panels to keep them out of those. They use 1 a week there's usually 20/23 mares eating of there. No fights no over eating no founder no colic it's always there they know it so no problem. By the time spring rolls around they are down by the big bush and from there can go out into that field after the last round is done. Ours are never stood on end thats when they mold on there sides nothing gets into them just lays on top or slides of they are also each on a pellet of the ground. Very lazy l know but works around here. The stallions are hand fed 2x a day in barrels cut in half with 2x4s bolted to the bottom to keep them from flying around in the wind. Weaners/yearlings are fed in cattle troughs up front. :bgrin

rounds.jpg

My family likes to make sure the hay is OFF the ground...for one so the horses don't pee in it and then leave it to decompose, and so they don't lay in it and never eat it again. My parents made handy "mini feeders" that look just like a large horses V feeder with the slats and catch tray, but a lot shorter lol...and if those are being used we go to a low large water tub, it's only about 8-10" tall and made of thick rubber. Keeps the hay from decomposing on the ground or picking up dirt!

Relic

Question, do they eat the rolls that is along the fence as well, or just the one in

the picture they are eating on now? What keeps the rain out of the hay at the top?

Is it wrap in something? If so, can they eat the wrap? This is interesting, cause they

need to be able to munch or graze all the time, so this would allow that. Please more

information.

Thanks Vicky

One method we've used over the years for feeding on the ground, is puting rubber mats down in different paddocks and sweep them off prior to laying down the new hay.

MA

Vicky here's another shot of the same area as above from the very front and it shows the ally way better and no they aren't allowed to get into the other bales in the lineup till the one they have is gone. lt's open to them 24/7 but if need be l can also pull a few panels across the front of this one and lock them out altogether. There is no cover of any kind on the bales they are on there sides l just remove the string and stick the feeder on and it stays dry if you don't take of the top layer. We only do this in winter so l can't say how it would work for a rainy area. Today is cold windy and lots of sleet as you maybe can tell. l saw someone else have this setup and thought it would work for us because we have no tractor and when the hay gets delivered l have 1 put on a pellet every 12' and it works well because they never are without and don't have a need to pig out and l can't say l've ever seen all the mares around it at one time l think they work shifts or something. Works for us l'm not complaining and the mares aren't either.

rounds005.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Relic

Thank You, for the second picture, and telling me more. I have always wonder about it. I

don't know if would work in our area, with Rain. Maybe in the Summer when its so hot, and

not much rain. I can better see now, in the second picture, how you move the pannel back

to the next bale, and keep going.

Thanks so much

Vicky

When feeding outside in the pasture we use used tractor tires. Our horses are all stalled at night so they have hay racks in their stalls. But outside we do use tractor tires to keep the hay in one place and prevent them from pooping or peeing on the hay.

I posted these on another topic here earlier this week, but in case you missed them here they are.

My Husband designed and builds them.
Hayfeeder2.jpg

Hayfeeder.jpg

Sandy

i would love to go back to round bales but when we tried it they got so moldy that we wasted half of it. Relic what do you do with the top part that has gotten so wet?? do you remove it?

sandy these hay feeders look nice but if i had them I would put them lower. Im a big believer in horses eating with their head down. But i guess if you lower them you run the chance of a hoof getting caught in a bar.

Here's my outside hay rack. I borrowed it from Marnie until spring. She's the best sister in the world. (that's saying a lot since we have 10).

Nate did some welding on it so no body gets caught in it.

Son, Rodney, built me a roof over it. All in all it sure does what I want it to.

11-14-06HAYRACK003.jpg

11-14-06HAYRACK002.jpg

Notice our snow is almost gone. 3 days.
default_smile.png
default_smile.png
I so much more enjoy the warm weather.

Mike is only 1 day older than Goldilocks. What a difference in their size.

Bonnie

Latest posts

Back