Show Whips

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Celtic Hill Farm

Reaction score
When you show you have to have a Whip correct? like im pretty sure it's a rule that you have to have a whip in your hand according to the ADS. Then my next question is, what kind of whip? Like a whip with a long tassle or a short "thinggy" on the end
default_unsure.png
lol. sorry for the bad wordage.

There is an expectation difference between Pleasure driving, Combined driving and breed ring driving. In the ADS type driving (pleasure and combined) one usually has a whip whose stock reached approximately the saddle of the harness and the lash (including the cracker which is usually 12") reaches the shoulder of the farthest horse if you are driving multiples or just the shoulder of your single. People have individual preferences, of course, and often the formula is that the stock is twice as long as the lash assembly but some like more lash and some less. The lash is used to lightly flick on your horse's shoulder or behind the girth to assist in bending and forward body positions more than speed.

The type of whip that only has a tassel in the end was designed for harness racing as the stock part is used only for whipping to speed since directing bend and other fine points are not required. You do see this type of whip in the breed ring, sometimes, but from a driving and training point of view, the longer lash type is more appropriate.

The reason that ADS rules require you to have a whip in your hand at all times is for safety. If you need it in an emergency, it will take too long to bend over to get it out of the whip holder. A shame one has to 'legislate' common sense, but I am glad that they have.

I use a dressage whip. It's about 36" long and has a short tassle - about 4" on the end. It's black with a white round handle. For me it's easier to keep in my hand with the reins.

Okay, so at an open show what type of whip would you use?
If I'm right, you're asking about showing in something like pleasure driving at an open show that's not just AMHR orAMHA. They probably won't care but if you are showing where they are going by AMHR/A rules, you need a whip that does not go past the shoulder of the horse. MOST people use a whip with a short lash as already decribed but you could use one with a long lash as long as (and here's the important part) the whip AND lash together (when you are seated and hold it forward) doesn't extend beyond the horse's shoulder.

Okay, well why im asking is because im showing a donkey this weekend in a driving class against horses at my 4-H fair and im not sure which whip to use and how to hold it. lmao.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the breed ring any whip is acceptable as long as it doesn't reach past the shoulder of the horse. Some people prefer a short stock with a long lash and some a long stock with a short lash. If you are not an experienced whip I would suggest you start with the longer stock and short lash as that is easier to control and less likely to become tangled. Be sure that whatever whip you select has a bow between the stock and lash (the soft curved part at the end of the stock) so that you won't strike your horse with the stock when you attempt to use your whip. A whip without a bow has the lash tied or looped directly onto the end of the shaft. Whatever whip you choose should be light, well balanced and comfortable in your hand when held upright.

I know you are asking about a open show but just for everyone else you do not need to carry a whip in AMHR if you do there are rules about the type/length but you do not have to

Latest posts

Back