Show Vs Pasture Condition

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gizzmoe

Reaction score
I dunno if this has been done before, if it has and I missed it somewhere my apologizes. Anyways I would love to see pics of horses in their unfit pasture condition and then in their show shape. If a particular horse gets sweated, I would like to know that as well. If you do not want to put that in the post, just pm me the info and I will keep it to myself. Thanks

Here's our 28.5" mare as a baby in 2005:

WhatAStarJuly05cropped.jpg

In December 2006:

IsisLeftDec06cropped.jpg

And then in July 2007:

IsisProfileJune07medium.jpg

That's the best I can do, sorry she's in her winter coat.

Here's our 28.5" mare as a baby in 2005:
WhatAStarJuly05cropped.jpg

In December 2006:

IsisLeftDec06cropped.jpg

And then in July 2007:

IsisProfileJune07medium.jpg

That's the best I can do, sorry she's in her winter coat.

No reason to be sorry shes in winter coat. It just adds to the whole how good a horse can clean up with conditioning etc. Which is what I am after mostly.
default_biggrin.png

Here is our coming 2 year old filly, early 2009

P2070002.jpg

P2280025new2-2.jpg

and then at a show in summer 2009, not really any conditioning, just good food, exercise, and a clip

daisyshow.jpg

Ok here is my now senior stallion Maple Hollows After Dark (Bob)

Fuzzy:

bobclipbeforeandafter008.jpg

First Clip:

BobandBabe019.jpg

Show shape:

DSC_0018.jpg

Edited to add: This is without neck sweating!

Last edited by a moderator:
Baxters Just Teasin Ya

Pasture shot about 6 weeks before show season

teasepasture.jpg

Show Condition. Never sweated anywhere
default_smile.png

Championship class area 2. Shes just a yearling here
default_smile.png

teasechampionclass.jpg

Our chubby guy late fall

before09.jpg

mid June after second clip and sweats

firstclip09.jpg

Beginning of July at first show and 2009 Canadian National Reserve Junior Stallion

after09.jpg

Here's an old picture of Bear (2005 I believe) after our first "fun" non sanctioned show. Pardon his hooves..we had nothing but bad luck with farriers until I found my current one. We knew nothing of mini nutrition and I think he was on horrible hay with a handfull of oats.

october162005037.jpg

Fast forward to summer 2009. He was on the best hay we can find, a mix of complete feeds, ground flax and a little bit of corn oil. He is barely conditioned as I had a crazy work schedule. We also have an amazing farrier who has done his best to correct the damage done by previous ones.

img003.jpg

Crazy difference hey? Almost doesn't look like the same horse.

Dali I hope you dont mind but his hooves look better in the first picture. In the second picture someone has chopped off his toes making him look very club hooved in the front. You can see in the first picture hes not club footed but wow he sure looks it in the 2nd pic. He really needs to let his toes grow a bit front and back.

This is, Glitter, one of my 2 year old mares that I showed last year. She is a very easy keeper and always is so chunky, but luckily she is also very easy to get into condition for show season.

Last winter before we started conditioning:

glitter23mos5.jpg

glitter23mos10.jpg

In April after about 3 weeks of conditioning:

28mos2.jpg

28mos6.jpg

This is Pride, my yearling show colt from last year.

Before clipping and conditioning:

pride24.jpg

At his first show after 2 weeks of conditioning with sweating:

pride4-1.jpg

This is my other 2 year old show mare, Whispy.

In her winter coat though it is not too shaggy here:

whispy16mos30.jpg

Before her first show after just a bit of round penning:

20mos4.jpg

20mos12.jpg

And finally, Jewel, my yearling show filly.

Last winter:

8mos11.jpg

And at the show. she was neck sweated.

jewel15-1.jpg

jewel2.jpg

Ok I found another one Maple Hollows Black Pearl:

Straight out of pasture:

Pearlanddog013.jpg

And clipped that same day:

Pearlanddog017.jpg

I never did work to condition her she keeps herself in shape and all I do is groom and go.

I have been guilty of not sweating horses the past 2 show seasons. Sweats are already out though for this year! ~Jen~

Norma Jean Baker

Pasture Condition:

decembersassy.jpg

Show Condition:

sassyshowshape2.jpg

Who's Your Daddy

Pasture Condition

Picture063.jpg

Show Condition

DSC_0683.jpg

VPS Just A Tad Bad(this mare is VERY hard to condition, as she has Anhydrosis and can not sweat and therefore can not work in warm/hot weather). We condition her in the fall, winter and spring. This will usually carry her through a summers worth of showing without having to be worked.

Pasture Condition:

100_3249.jpg

Show Condition:

callieshowshape.jpg

Lt Dans Magnificent Toy

Pasture Condition:

Picture007.jpg

Show Condition(probably not the best photo to show her in show condition, as she showed out of the pasture this summer):

DSC_00102.jpg

Owsley Fork Secret Rendezvous:

Pasture Condition:

100_3208.jpg

Show Condition:

DSC_0570.jpg

VPS Simply Irresistible

Pasture Condition:

Picture024.jpg

Show Condition:

DSC_0765.jpg

Fantasy Corrals Secret Treasure Too:

Pasture Condition:

emmasnow.jpg

Show Condition:

DSC_0900.jpg

Eli ;

EligentManPhoto.jpg

espring2.jpg

Clipped ;

clippedeli8.jpg

DSC_0496.jpg

Ok so I'm new to showing and would like to hit at LEAST one show this coming spring/summer if I don't chicken out.. So here's my boy, pasture condition, what areas would I need to focus on to get him in 'show shape'..

Most recent in January:

DSC_0046.jpg

Clipped/pasture condition in August:

DSC_0287.jpg

DSC_0295.jpg

Lucky C, I love Doc, he looks so handsome EVEN in his winter hair
default_wub.png

I love seeing these photos, nice transformations!!

Ok so I'm new to showing and would like to hit at LEAST one show this coming spring/summer if I don't chicken out.. So here's my boy, pasture condition, what areas would I need to focus on to get him in 'show shape'..
Most recent in January:

DSC_0046.jpg

Clipped/pasture condition in August:

DSC_0287.jpg

DSC_0295.jpg
He is Gorgeous!

Dali I hope you dont mind but his hooves look better in the first picture. In the second picture someone has chopped off his toes making him look very club hooved in the front. You can see in the first picture hes not club footed but wow he sure looks it in the 2nd pic. He really needs to let his toes grow a bit front and back.
I don't mind at all, I'm always open to others opinions. The after picture isn't a very good example of how his hooves normally are. He was not actually trimmed like that. Bear wears his toes off the way he walks. What you can't see in the before picture is a good half inch diffrence between his left and right side. He also walked completely on his outside walls on his back feet. The previous farriers were quite flaky, sometimes it would result in a good trim, but most of the time they would butcher his feet.

Latest posts

Back