Show Tips?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minishowgirl

Reaction score
Im going to a mini horse show this weekend and wanted to know some tips. Ill be showing in showmanship, halter, hunter, jumper, pleasure driving, country pleasure driving, obstacle driving, obstacle in hand and versatility. The minis im showing know how to walk, trot, stand square, pivot, back, jump, and drive. What are some tips to do better in all my classes??

Anyone??
default_please.gif
:please
default_please.gif

In general, keep your focus on what you're doing and don't get distracted by anything or anyone outside the ring. Always keep one eye on the judge and one eye on your horse - oh, and one eye on the ring steward, too.

In your pleasure and country pleasure driving classes, ALWAYS be aware of what's going on in the arena, looking around before you reverse, go on the inside, cut across, etc. Always try to remain on the rail but take action if you get crowded and be sure not to cut anyone else off.

In obstacle classes (in-hand or driving), take your time and don't get flustered if the horse doesn't do it right right away. Do your best and practice more when you go back home.

In jumping classes, find out if the class is truly jumping or if it's hunter - go fast and clean in jumper, but in hunter, trot at a consistent speed (and go clean, too).

Be ready when they say "first call" for your class. Be at the in gate and ready to go when your class is called. Take a deep breath - and have a lot of fun! That's why you got into minis in the first place! Best of luck to you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Do as much preparing as possible at home....with clipping, bathing, grooming, etc. That way all you have to do is touch ups on the horse and the final "make-up".

Don't wear your horse out with too much practicing on the day of their classes.......It will tire them out and/or make them cranky.

Hi, here are some general tips. Make sure the products in your tack box are full or at least full enough so you done't run out of it. You shoud have something to remove last minute poop stains; (I love Cowboy Magic Krud Buster). Bring a black permanent marker (Sharpie) to fill in last minute scuff marks on hoof polish. Wet-ones work great for cleaning a horses face, ears, nose and hooves. I always bring an extra show halter, lead and chain in case the tack your using breaks. It is helpful to find out how many horses are in the classes before your class so you came determine when you need to get your horse ready. If your showing multiple horses, make sure you have the correct number on so your not disqualified. (I keep all the numbers of the horses I'm showing on my number clip so if I have the wrong number on I can switch it without having to run back to my stalls to get the correct number.) When I am driving, I keep an emergency repair kit in my cart basket. My kit contains black electricians tape, small scissors, several black elastic hair ties, black shoe laces and a leather punch.

A small story. Several years ago I was at a sanctioned show at a State Fair. Just minutes before my stake driving class the mini stud a was driving flick his head side to side do to a mare nearby urinating. This caused the leather piece that slid down to hold the overcheck on the saddle to break. I did not have a repair kit and there was no time to run back to the stalls to get some electricians tape. Luckily, some spectator decided to help me. She pulled her elastic hair tie out of her hair and gave it to me so I could use it to hold the overcheck onto the saddle. I went into the ring and came out with the championship. Ever since this show I have kept an emergency repair kit in my cart. Best of luck and above all have fun.

Shandoaharabmini

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back