Show .. Same horse different regestry

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeniemac

Reaction score
Ok .Here is food for thought. Just an idea..

What if those that have trible regestard horses show only one regestry at a time a year.

For example:

If you wee one is a AMHR/ASPC. Show it one full year in the AMHR.. then the next year in the ASPC regestry but not both regestrys in the same year? Would that not appease those against having compete against the ASPC year after year.. after year?

Any thoughts?

Currently the AMHR and ASPC has a no cross entering at the same show, which will be up for review at this year's convention. But most people show one show AMHR and another ASPC. Since AMHR has to qualify to show AMHR Nationals - I would think they would show AMHR first to get their qualifications out of the way and then ASPC.

Since there will be this proposal before the membership, I would believe it would be close either way, to pass or not.

I could not go along with that idea. Too many of us have double registered horses that we not only show in different registries at different shows, but many of us will also go to both the ASPC Congress and AMHR Nationals in the same year because they are allowed to do so. I have one mare in particular that we plan to show twice as a mini to qualify for nationals and then show a couple of times as a foundation shetland and possibly take her to congress.

Have to disagree with you. There are people that complain about everything. As I have seen it at shows. Example: why are the judges all ways placing these trainers well because they are good at what they do. Then you hear others why can't my horse place well if your trainer would work the horses they might.

Have to disagree with you. There are people that complain about everything. As I have seen it at shows. Example: why are the judges all ways placing these trainers well because they are good at what they do. Then you hear others why can't my horse place well if your trainer would work the horses they might.

I disagree with that idea; that solution would be no solution at all. People would still complain. Why? Because the majority of the double registered horses would still show AMHR, probably year after year. Why? Well, there are still more AMHR shows than there are ASPC shows...so if they chose to show ASPC and could not show in AMHR that year, it might very well limit the number of shows they could attend.

What it would do is hurt Congress if those horses that choose to show AMHR were not allowed to show at Congress because they chose AMHR for the year. There are already people who complain that Congress doesn't pay its way, so they would howl even louder if the majority of the ASPC/AMHR horses pulled out of Congress and showed only AMHR.

Nope can't see that happening. A lot of your AMHR/ASPC Shetlands don't show as a Shetland. There has been a few that have shown as both miniature and Shetland with great success and will give a lot of props to those ponies.

As of right now AMHR/ASPC Shetlands cannot cross over in the same show. So for example at that show if they show as a miniature they cannot turnaround and show as a Shetland at the same show, but at the next show they can do vice verse. But members will have a chance to vote for or against the rule to allow cross over at the same shows and I'm totally against this. You have to qualify for Nationals but you do not have to qualify for Congress. So your AMHR/ASPC Shetland can show as a miniature all year and then go to Congress and show because they don't have to qualify, until they make Congress a qualifying show like Nationals then I will always be against this. Some say this rule will help bring in extra money for shows, perhaps, but I can see less horses being shown and may not get any more money then they did to begin with. Some say this will help attendance for Shetland classes, I'm sure but why once again they have to get AMHR involved and have to bell out ASPC. AMHR is the money maker of the registries, that's just the way it is instead of having it affect AMHR and its breeders perhaps look and see what could change in ASPC's part. I think this would just make the AMHR/ASPC Shetland even more popular because now you would be able to show in both if this rule passes. Chance to double the awards quicker instead of taking the time to show in both. Its the exhibitors choice whether or not to show this pony as a mini or a pony.

I've always been puzzled and am still puzzled now--what difference does it make if the ponies do or don't have to qualify for Congress? Why does that have any influence on how you view the proposal to allow cross entry?

Because right now you can go to Congress without having to show as a Shetland or not showing period. So what is the need of this proposal besides benefiting the AMHR/ASPC ponies? It's not like once you chose to show as a mini that year you can't show as a Shetland at the next show or go to Congress that year.

I'm undecided on this rule. I have a double horse and yes, it is fun to "show off" your horse as much as you can. I'm not into promoting for my farm or for selling. I just do the shows for FUN; believe it or not. So would I like to show my horse in both AMHR/ASPC classes at one show - yes. But would my trainer appreciate the extra work.. probably not. And if my horse were an "all around performer" wouldn't it be too hard on him to show double the classes?

Here I sit on the fence not because I'm complaining about competing against ASPC horses. I understand your objections to a horse that the judge likes being in many classes as we were at a Shetland show where a UNDER 38" (and yes he had been shown in AMHR) was ASPC (got those classes) And ASPR (placed in those classes). But someone still needs to convince me with arguments other than "it's not fair".

JMS—do you know WHY minis have to qualify? A whole lot of the reason they have to qualify was this: they were showing at a facility that could not accommodate the growth of the show. A side benefit was the local shows gained attendance because qualifying was mandatory. But the real reason for having to qualify no longer exists so therefore why do horses still have to qualify?

The cross entering rule is a relatively "new" rule - it did not always exist and it was one of those "reactionary" rules that the AMHR does so well. The cross entering rule was made because of a little gray mare who was ASPC/AMHR and was winning ASPC and AMHR AT THE SAME SHOW weekend after weekend. AMHR people didn't want to compete against her so they made a rule to stop that little gray mare from showing both ways. Wow, imagine that, someone proposed a rule and got it PASSED to restrict their competition so they could win! Need I point out that it backfired gloriously? That little gray mare started showing only AMHR (except at Congress)and that little gray mare kept on winning; that little gray mares relatives came out in droves and kept on winning, and if we all had a penny for each of the blues that little gray mare's family has won in AMHR since this silly (yes, many people do consider this to be silly) rule was passed we'd have quite a pile of pennies.

At the end of the day this is a Shetland BREED issue, not a Miniature SHOW issue. I would go further into the reasons why it is a breed issue but I don’t feel like opening that discussion at this point…

Since history has proven that ruling against cross entry does not keep the small Shetlands out of the AMHR classes, I have to say that I think changing the rule now is certain to have little to no effect on the AMHR shows. I honestly do not see why some AMHR people are so opposed to this rule change proposal.

JMS—do you know WHY minis have to qualify? A whole lot of the reason they have to qualify was this: they were showing at a facility that could not accommodate the growth of the show. A side benefit was the local shows gained attendance because qualifying was mandatory. But the real reason for having to qualify no longer exists so therefore why do horses still have to qualify?

The cross entering rule is a relatively "new" rule - it did not always exist and it was one of those "reactionary" rules that the AMHR does so well. The cross entering rule was made because of a little gray mare who was ASPC/AMHR and was winning ASPC and AMHR AT THE SAME SHOW weekend after weekend. AMHR people didn't want to compete against her so they made a rule to stop that little gray mare from showing both ways. Wow, imagine that, someone proposed a rule and got it PASSED to restrict their competition so they could win! Need I point out that it backfired gloriously? That little gray mare started showing only AMHR (except at Congress)and that little gray mare kept on winning; that little gray mares relatives came out in droves and kept on winning, and if we all had a penny for each of the blues that little gray mare's family has won in AMHR since this silly (yes, many people do consider this to be silly) rule was passed we'd have quite a pile of pennies.

At the end of the day this is a Shetland BREED issue, not a Miniature SHOW issue. I would go further into the reasons why it is a breed issue but I don’t feel like opening that discussion at this point…

Since history has proven that ruling against cross entry does not keep the small Shetlands out of the AMHR classes, I have to say that I think changing the rule now is certain to have little to no effect on the AMHR shows. I honestly do not see why some AMHR people are so opposed to this rule change proposal.
Well said and I also do not see the reason for so much resistance.

Bull, Minimor, it was done because it wasn't fair.

Latest posts

Back